Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Hang'n Arround Michigan

So, I have been Backpack'n & Hang'n in the following areas of lower Michigan:

* South Manitou Island
    * Manistee River Trail
    * Sleeping Bear Dunes
    * Nordhouse Dunes

I am planning on going to the following this coming summer:

* North Manitou Island
    * Tahquamenon Falls

Can anyone recommend any other good B-pack'n and Hang'n spots in lower Michigan? Preferably somewhere to do some fishing too?

Any good recommendations for Upper Michigan?

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    A bit of a drive, but the Porcupine Mtns. are nice. I love the huge virgin hemlock forests. Western U.P.

DSC00140 by U.P. Evo8, on Flickr
    DSCN2505 by U.P. Evo8, on Flickr

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Porkies are awesome even in winter. Hoist lake is another nice spot. North Manitou is a great place. Im looking for something on the sunrise side or isle royale

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Nice pics camoevo! I was about to that spot in your second pic but standing on top of a lot of snow a few weeks ago!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Jordon River Trail, High Country Pathway, NCT passes through lower Michigan on its way to the UP.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Nice spots there! I really like Nordhouse Dunes. Unfortunatley it keeps getting busier and people seem to think it's OK to build semi-permanent structures in a designated wilderness.

Check out Hoist Lakes sometime. A bit SW of Alpena. I caught some fish in South Hoist lake last fall.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    For a quick getaway, the Yankee Springs Rec. Area can be what your looking for. The NCT runs thru the area. Lakes have fish. Don't try it during deer hunting season. Plenty of backwoods options, or use the rustic campground at Deep Lake. Nice thing is it is close to Kzoo.
    Link

Pinckney Rec. Area... Same thing.
    Link

If you kayak/canoe, the Thornapple River can yield some great fishing. I have found plenty of secluded stretches that are good for camping stealthfully.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    For a quick getaway, the Yankee Springs Rec. Area can be what your looking for. The NCT runs thru the area. Lakes have fish. Don't try it during deer hunting season. Plenty of backwoods options, or use the rustic campground at Deep Lake. Nice thing is it is close to Kzoo.
    Link

Pinckney Rec. Area... Same thing.
    Link

If you kayak/canoe, the Thornapple River can yield some great fishing. I have found plenty of secluded stretches that are good for camping stealthfully.
    I looked into Yankee Springs at one point. I didn't think there was backcountry camping though...just the rustic/horse camp where you had to pay and make a reservation.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I looked into Yankee Springs at one point. I didn't think there was backcountry camping though...just the rustic/horse camp where you had to pay and make a reservation.

There are permits available for the entire Rec. Area. But, IMO, unnecesary...

Stealth-
    Most of the time, for our purposes, you won't be seen or bothered by anyone. Plenty of woods, (don't set up in somebodies backyard) keep any fires contained to packable wood stoves, clean up after yourself. Of the dozens of times I have hung in YS, I have never seen anybody. There are some popular trails with the public and horse crowds, of course, but they are gone by nightfall. Hunters (seasonal) and horsemen will be around in the A.M., but if your back off the trail, typically they will not see you. And there are few well used "party" spots for the teen crowd, quite obvious and easily avoidable.

As stated earlier, deer season (especially gun), the Rec. Area is very busy and not hiker friendly. There are certain areas where no hunting is allowed, but the guns blazing nearby can be unnerving.

Beyond that, I have had good luck not seeing people. Plenty of parking spots or park road side (this is really why the DNR/Law wants a permit, to explain why there is a random car parked overnight, and not some injured/stranded person).

I have never gotten a permit. Never had an issue. Several local hangers I know do the same thing...
    Just parked in one of "designated" spots. Hit the trail for a quick overnight. Then hike out in the A.M. Granted, the area is somewhat populated. Your not going to be able to hike for miles and miles. Sooner or later, you'll hit a road or a house. But for a quick overnighter, it is ideal.

If your nervous about your car, you can park at a fellow HF members house (PM for details). Or park at Deep Lake Area, tell the ranger your plans (it'll explain the car left overnight), grab a trail map and hit the trails. Mountain bike trails abound around Deep Lake. So if you bike, you can bike to a spot, jump off trail, do your hang-thing overnight, and bike out in the morning.
    Foot trails, horse trails, and bike trails intermingle somewhat. They are marked well, easy to follow, etc. Plenty of backwoods two tracks to follow as well. Plus the NCT.

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/cnd/coref_cnd.html

DNR PDF of trails
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    If your into canoeing/kayaking this is a pretty nice area. I have been there 3 times now and only ran into one other group. Townline lake had some good fishing for gills and pike, so we camped there 2 out of the three trips which made for easy fish dinners. we explored as far in as Vance Lk. The portages were not to bad, but i do recommend to use a portage pack as opposed to a regular hiking back pack, as they allow you to carry a canoe or kayak on your shoulders.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hiawa...a/?recid=32286

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCZ1xvd-E8

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast