DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

Floral day pack with bells and whistles.

My friend, known of the forums as "dedominick," recently inspired me to create this pack when he showed me his Gossamer Gear minimalist daypack. I decided to make rucksack that was easy to access and attach things to. While this bag doesn't fit the usual camo or synthetic bags of this site it still has features that make a great outdoor bag.

Features:
    -There is a zipper that runs the length of the pack. (14' in length.)
    -Mesh pocket and zig-zap thingy for quick access.
    -The lid is a pocket as well as a small phone, key, and wallet pocket in main chamber. (You can see the lid pocket zipper in the photo of the pack back.
    -The straps are daisy chained so I can attach items to them.
    -foam pad insert in back for support. (I will be adding another piece of fabric to keep the pad from bulging in the middle. Such a pretty bag shouldn't be compromised by unsightly gray foam.)

floral bag 1 by pappy2012, on Flickr

floral bag 2 by pappy2012, on Flickr

I'm still deciding how I want the lid to attach to the pack body when closed. Any suggestions? This will be a great bag for day hikes, over night trips, and putz'n around.

One thing that I am not sure on is my shoulder strap placement. Most packs I looked at have only 3 to 4 inches of space between the straps, and are angled, but I couldn't figure out why. I had my wife help me find what felt like the most comfortable place for them and sewed them there. measuring from the inside edge of the straps, they are 7 inches apart and descend strait down. I'm not sure if this was a good or bad thing so if someone knows why should traps are made the way they are please share so I can redo the straps.

A little history on the fabric. I lived in Idaho for 1 year and during that time the old church ladies, who made quilts to give away, found out that I liked to sew and were impressed that a young man enjoyed commanding a sewing machine and offered me privileged access to their fabric closet. They showed me a box of fabric that they wouldn't use and said I could take anything I wanted from it. I've been hauling this box for over 6 years and have been wanting to use this particular fabric for something awesome. A while back I made a backpack for my daughter and it featured this fabric and now daddy and daughter have matching backpacks!
    Last edited by Paprika bohlmann; 02-26-2014 at 17:17. Reason: wrong word

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

two thumbs up

That is a darn snazzy pack. Way to go on the design and assembly.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

• + New Posts