Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps

Hammock Equality

Hammock Equality

Over the past couple years that I have been hammocking and around this forum,
    the question of whats better (Brand or Brand) has come up often. And far to
    many times a comment or miswording has turned the topic into a brand bashing.
    Whether that was the intent or not, we should try and avoid this sort of thing
    from happening (My Opinion). I have seen this go as far as to make a new member
    regret his choice of what he ordered when he hasnt even tried it yet!

I get wanting to support the cottage vender over the more established mainstream
    brands when you can. But also remember what the bigger "mainstream" brand(s) have
    done for this comunity.. Its pretty safe to say they have got more people into
    hammocking than just about anyone. And in the end isnt that what we all want?

The best blanket answer 90% of the time is to suggest or help them find someone
    local to them so they can try and make there own decision on the matter. Tell
    them the differences and point them to someone that can show them it in person.
    We should also try and avoid comments like "Beginner Hammock" Lets keep comments
    happy and prevent a Harley vs Crotch rocket type of attitude from forming here. I dont
    care if you prefer an Eno or a giant back yard hammock. The only thing that
    matters here is HAMMOCKS are bad ***.

Thats just my thoughts..
    Now im going to go grab a nice drink and lounge in my HAMMOCK!!!!
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Good thoughts.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree. I try to treat all 4 of my hammocks equally. None of them wants to stay inside and miss a hang.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    Hammock Equality

...Now im going to go grab a nice drink and lounge in my HAMMOCK!!!!
    Just as long as it ain't a big box beginner one...
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    good thoughts indeed.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird - 11' Nite-Grid Camo
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great advice!
    To each his own - how boring would a hang be with everyone in the same brand of hammock?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Gary_R great post but in the real world I don't see it as that much of a conflict. Last weekend we had 20+ with everything from cuben to diy with a WM poly tarp thrown in. That stuff just doesn't matter out in the woods. Granted it can lead to some heated discussions on the forum but it really doesn't matter when it comes to being in the woods and hanging.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Dutchware half zipped
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon speci
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UG
    Suspension
    Dutchware beetle b
    I have to agree completely with you. I have a friend I am trying to get into backpacking and hammocks. He didn't want to spend a ton of money on his first one so he started a cheaper beginner one. I think as long as he ends up happy with it then that is all that matters in the end. But if he is like me he will only upgrade from there and start adding his own touches like I am getting ready to do to my HH.

Hammock
    Yukon Mosquito
    Tarp
    2mil dropcloth
    Suspension
    whoopieeeeee
    Well being new to this site I would have to say this forum is by far the most courteous I have ever been on. What people on here would call 'bashing' is regular conversation on most forums.

If you're in a fightin mood just head over to the backpackinglight forums and make a thread about mainstream backpacks or one that says boots are better than sneakers for hiking You'll get all the heated discussion you could ever want.

I dream of a day... when tablecloths and Hennessy's can hang side by side as equals.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Gary_R great post but in the real world I don't see it as that much of a conflict. Last weekend we had 20+ with everything from cuben to diy with a WM poly tarp thrown in. That stuff just doesn't matter out in the woods. Granted it can lead to some heated discussions on the forum but it really doesn't matter when it comes to being in the woods and hanging.
    Out in the woods for the most part your right. although I have have people try and make me change to what they have on many occasions..

But when a new person comes in here and says he just bought so and so and everyone says he should have gotta this or that to the point
    where they now are not happy with what they bought even before laying in it.. its just not needed. It in no way helps the new person.

Encouraging them to meet a local member and try one out for themselves is much more productive, and gives them a positive look on things.
    Also shows them its ok not to follow the crowd or not to be embarrassed because they have a less popular or less expensive hammock.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast