Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hey, welcome to the forums!

Making your own hammock isn't too hard. DIY Gear Supply has a pattern for a netless one. You can also make a bug sock fairly easily, search the forums for "Fronkey Style Bugnet". Finally, you can find all the materials at DIY Gear Supply, that's where we buy almost everything for our business.

Whoopie slings are lightweight and easily adjustable. Do a YouTube search, and you'll see them in action. A ridgeline is useful for making sure you get a consistent lay every time, regardless of how far apart the trees are.

If you don't want to mess with DIY, we make a hammock with a bugnet, ingeniously called the Netty, that starts at $125 for an 11'. Just click the link in my signature, if you're interested.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Welcome from Gainesville!

As to your commercial choices, I highly recommend you take your time and do some research before purchasing. A complete set-up in the $100 range may be difficult, since you need more than just an hammock and suspension. You'll need a tarp, to keep the rain off, a net (but you already knew that), and insulation to keep you warm (though you'll need less here than in most of the nation). Depending on if you want to be able to hike with your system, this might be a bit more than $100.

DIY is an easy way to save some cash...that is, if you already have a sewing machine (no, it need not be an industrial; home machines will handle all of the fabrics involved unless you intend on high-volume production), the skill to use it, and a design already hammered out. If you have to purchase a machine (and ancillary tools, such as shears, a rotary cutter, a mat, etc.) and/or prototype your own designs, saving money might not be in the cards.

At your height, an 11' long hammock is almost a necessity; I'm 6' and find one that length to be much more comfortable than shorter ones. There're several manufacturers that sell hammocks in that length, including Warbonnet, Wilderness Logics, Dream Hammocks, and ButtInASling (often abbreviated to BIAS). Take a look around at manufacturers and decide what features you want at which price points before making a purchase.

For a DIY hammock (and, really, DIY anything), I recommend starting here in the DIY Stickies forum (it's a sub-forum of the DIY forum) and then checking out DIY Gear Supply (Scott has both DIY guides and all of the materials you'll need for most projects).

Once you've decided on an hammock, it'll be time to select a tarp. If you're just going ten feet from the car to the campsite, you can get by with a $15 WallyWorld blue poly tarp. If you want to go more than a couple of miles with it on your back, that means a lighter tarp, though, which means more money. Again, some research will definitely be in order here. There are MANY tarp manufacturers out there, and their products range from ~1.5 lb polyurethane-coated nylon tarps to ~6 oz Cuben fiber tarps (and a price range from ~$50 to ~$350).

Finally, you're going to want insulation. A regular sleeping bag from WallyWorld will get you by (though, if you don't already have a bag, I'd recommend a military surplus poncho liner for FL temps here; it'll be about the same price, much lighter, and at least as warm) on top. Underneath, though, you have a couple of choices. A pair of blue CCF camping pads from WallyWorld will get you by for a while, but many folks find them both slightly uncomfortable and waaaaaaay bulky for backpacking. A true under quilt, on the other hand, is likely to be the most expensive portion of your initial purchase. Here, another poncho liner may come in handy (there's a no-sew DIY guide somewhere here on the site), but it'll be heavy and bulky.

Anyway, those are the components needed for camping with an hammock: the hammock, bug net, tarp, suspension, top insulation, and bottom insulation. Definitely do a bit of research before committing to purchases; you'll be much happier in the long run.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I just bought 3 claytor (mosquito jungle hammocks) for $172 (can) each delivered. They came with a tarp. I'm 6 foot and in the 280 range and I find it comfortable. I tried sleep in on my side and found it better them my larger hammock. That being said this is not a roomy hammock. Just offering this a food for thought as for mid 100 range you can get a full setup. hammock tarp with mosquito net.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Lots of opinions about hammocks here! My personal favorite is the warbonnet ridge runner--------I'm 6'4", and it fits me just perfect! (best option would be to go to a hang and try out a bunch of different hammocks)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW I might try something like a tablecloth hammock with strap suspension made from Harbor Freight 1 in straps to get a feel for hammocks. Before I plonk down a lot of money I would go the the next group hang in your area and see what folks are talking about. Somebody down there can tell you when the next one will be or just watch the postings here. I would also be watching Craigslist for a used Hennessy as they often go cheap because there are so many of them around.

While waiting for a chance to see other folks setups look around here. You will get buried in optional ways to go because picking the perfect hammock is like picking the perfect tent, canoe, bicycle or anything else that has multiple places to play and ways to do it. Only you can figure out what is important to you. There are discussion threads here about any form of hammock camping you can think of. If you can't find a thread then start one. You will probably find an ample supply of opinions. ;-) The one thing to avoid is a general question like "what's the best setup?". If you ask 10 hangers you will get 12 opinions none of which fit you. For less than $50 and probably less than $30 you can be in the air. A DIY netless hammock lets you play around and figure out how things work. Everything you use for it will have other uses if you want to upgrade or do something else. Hammock camping is a great way to go but it has a learning curve. Welcome to the addiction. ;-))
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle susp
    The following advice is based on my observation that newbies go through a few (or sometimes many) hammocks until they find one that works for them.

With the above in mind my advice is to read everything you can on the subject and watch a boat-load of videos. Make a list of the hammocks you think might be a good fit for your body type and your intended use. Throw a wide net. Be inclusive. Longer the list the better. Then visit the for-sale section here once or twice a day and wait for something from your list to go up for sale. Research the completed listings to get an idea of the amount you should offer. Buy and try. Now your foots in the door for a fraction of the price of new. Don't worry about buying a bunch of extras like UQ, TQ, , socks etc. If the hammock you bought doesn't work for you, you won't have to worry about re-selling accessories, just the hammock. I bought a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight Zip off this site that previous owner claimed was used once, and after seeing it, I can believe it. All things considered it was a smokin' deal.

Another approach is to buy a new, inexpensive (but well made) ENO or Grand Trunk. Unbelievable value. Big box stores like Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse sell them with liberal return policies.

Either way gets you started learning about hammocks, and finding that hammock that gives you a good nights sleep.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Lots of opinions about hammocks here! My personal favorite is the warbonnet ridge runner--------I'm 6'4", and it fits me just perfect! (best option would be to go to a hang and try out a bunch of different hammocks)

Welcome Alex!
    stevebo is right. The fastest way to learn is goto a hang.
    First you'll learn that noone cares what gear you have or don't have because its really about getting outdoors and making acquaintances (and eating).
    Chances are you will make some friends and get to see, touch, and try out many different hammocks and gear.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

central florida here. WB BB XLC in multicam is all I use.

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    Second to all that FLRider said, above.

Also agree with the DYI advice. Also to try as many as possible before dropping much money. We went to a couple of group hangs and folks were gracious enough to let us check out their rigs. Learned more at hangs than any internet reading.

My wife loves her Eno. I hate it. I love my $25 Walmart hammock. She kind of likes it. You won't know what suits you until you try them.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome. I'm with Loki and Stevebo on attending a group hang. Fun way to meet other hangers and check out lots of hammocks, suspension, tarps, etc. all at once. I always come back wanting a new piece of gear.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast