Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    warbonnet of course
    Tarp
    sf

when did Brandon change the Superfly design/pattern?

just got a new superfly a few days ago and I noticed that the pattern is completely different on the camo model. the stiching on the pullouts are a different design as well.

When did Brandon start selling the superfly with the new pattern? anyone know if the old digital camo design that used black and was a darker color still avialable by any chance?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Is yours multicam?

Hammock
    warbonnet of course
    Tarp
    sf
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    Is yours multicam?
    nope, they are both the digital camo pattern, I always thought that the older digi pattern was one of the best camo patterns out there, made acu look like a joke at the time, so naturally I was bummed to see it now patterened using a completely different and lighter shade.

not the end of the world I guess, still wouldnt trade Brandons stuff for anything anyway, just thought it is something that deserves a sticky of or something everytime there is achange to a product without it being clearly defined on the website. Suddenly im concerned that i now own a 'legacy' tarp and it will be worth much less when I go to sell it.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by pwr2al4 View Post
    ...Suddenly im concerned that i now own a 'legacy' tarp and it will be worth much less when I go to sell it.
    No longer available + desirable = higher price. Be happy.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Buckle or Whoopie
    just got a new superfly a few days ago and I noticed that the pattern is completely different on the camo model. the stiching on the pullouts are a different design as well.

When did Brandon start selling the superfly with the new pattern? anyone know if the old digital camo design that used black and was a darker color still avialable by any chance?
    I noticed on Warbonnet Outdoors website that they offer two different camo patterns - Multicam & Digital Camo.

I prefer Multicam, but I've noticed some images of Superfly tarps where the pattern is noticeably non-random & rather dark. I didn't like it.

Which camo pattern did you order on your Warbonnet Outdoors Superfly? Could you provide a close-up image of the camo? There's no close-up of the camo pattern on their website.

I like what's typically called "Multicam", but have seen several variations using this name.

Do you like your new Superfly? Do you feel it's well made and a good value?

Thanks in advance,

fly fisher

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I got my Superfly on Monday, ordered in digital camo, not multicam. I haven't even had it out of the bag yet. If no pic has been updated by the time I get home I'll string mine up in the house somehow to get a picture, of one side at least, but it might not be stretched taut. I couldn't find a definitive close up of the digital camo either, just the one from a bit further away that shows the repeating pattern. The repeat didn't really concern me much so I went ahead and ordered.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I put it up real quick in the living room. Just hanging down off a rigged up ridgeline. The pics didn't turn out very well being indoors and not being stretched at all, so I won't even bother putting them up.

But mine does have the different, from the pics I've seen anyway, side pulls. Also no black in my pattern either. Couldn't really tell if the pattern was heavily repeating or not without stretch.

None of this matters to me however. Looks to be well crafted as expected.

Hammock
    warbonnet of course
    Tarp
    sf
    Quote Originally Posted by fly fisher View Post
    I noticed on Warbonnet Outdoors website that they offer two different camo patterns - Multicam & Digital Camo.

I prefer Multicam, but I've noticed some images of Superfly tarps where the pattern is noticeably non-random & rather dark. I didn't like it.

Which camo pattern did you order on your Warbonnet Outdoors Superfly? Could you provide a close-up image of the camo? There's no close-up of the camo pattern on their website.

I like what's typically called "Multicam", but have seen several variations using this name.

Do you like your new Superfly? Do you feel it's well made and a good value?

Thanks in advance,

fly fisher
    Unfortunately I am not able to accuratley photograph it for you. Camoflague is notoriously difficult to photograph so that is recreates accurately. even if i did photograph it and then took the time to run it all through photoshop a couple of times, just the difference in the color and contrast from my computer monitor to yours would be enough to noticibly alter the appearance of the image. Not to mention the fact that its night time here and im sitting under a fluorescent bulb which dramatically changes the appearnce of colors as it is.

If you are familiar at all with some of the standard military camo colors I took a quick glance and both tarps to try to give you some type of idea how their appearances differ from one another. (again im sitting under fluorescense so if someone calls me out on my color identifation, yeah your probably not wrong.

they are both digital patterned camo schemes, the older superfly is a much darker color overall and is made up of what I believe are 4 colors: black, OD Green, a dark brown and what I woudl call either a cyote or desert tan (think slightly lighter than khacki). The two most predominat shades appear to be probably the black and dark brown

The new pattern probably has 4 colors but I only saw 3 again its late im tired and this is kinda annoying, but it is much much lighter, noticibly lighter.
    It appears to consist of ranger green, a smaller amount of dark brown and then anotherr either desert or coyote tan.

also keep in mind that these tarps are made of 1.1oz Silnylon which make them both very translucsent to direct light and also very very very shiny which kinda throws everything off. I have a feeling thats why I preferred the darker pattern so much more.

As far as multicam is concerned, yes like I said I love multicam, I wear it often. When Brandon first announced that he was going to start printing it I was both surprised and very excited since at the time Crye precison, the company that controls the patent or trademark or whatever it is that you call ownership over a camo pattern had a very well known rep for charging ridiculous amounts of money in licensing fees for the 'priveledge' of being alble to use multicam, which is one of the many reasons the .mil was forced to hold off as long as they did before finally beginning ot adopt it as they are now. there was some other nonsense involved as well htat nobody really cares about.

but at the end of the day none of that ended up mattering for many of us since it turned out the multicam pattern superfly had to be printed printed on a much heavier 1.9 oz nylon material, which translated to something like an additional 2 pounds of pack weight just for a silly camo pattern. so unless your are specificaly looking for a heavier weight material, anyone who voluntarily chooses to hump anotherr 2 pounds of weight for some nicers swirls of muddy colors is an absolute fool.

I am relatively new to hammock camping and this forum is particularly excellent with many many knowledgable and friendly members who are always willing to help, but my opionon on the quality of the superfly and the warbonnet brand in general is basically that I cant ever imagine a situation where I wouldn't purchase my gear exclusively from Brandon at WB, that's how good I think his products are. I love my superfly (which is one of the reasons I bought a second!) above that I qucikly realized how much I love love hammock camping in general. It is so far supiorior to traditional tent camping in just about every way imagineable, I have no idea how anybody could ever go back to laying right up against literally the largest heat sink in the world (the ground) on a rock hard floor with only a few mm's of padding and ever expect to be even remotely comfortable and/or warm. it just makes no sense.

I will post many pictures for you and anybody else who is interested of my original superfly tarp in another day or two when I put it up for sale in the EE.

Hammock
    warbonnet of course
    Tarp
    sf
    guys if you hang tight, (pardon pun) when I get home il snap some comparison shots of the camo patterns for those interested.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    guys if you hang tight, (pardon pun) when I get home il snap some comparison shots of the camo patterns for those interested.
    Yes please!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast