WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Question Pure Finish vs DWR or Calendared

I am trying to figure out whether 30 Denier Pure Finish Nylon Ripstop (1.1 oz) is good for making a gathered end hammock. When I searched it looks like DWR or calendared ripstop is more common. But, I didn't find any reasons to use, or not use, one over the other except when it came to making quilts.

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    30 Denier = 1.1oz/sy and is a light ripstop that is OK if you are light and willing to accept that the hammock may not last as long as one made of heavier fabric. It will also have more stretch which you may or may not like.

On to the finish which i think is your real question. DWR is an applied water resistant treatment that I feel slightly reduces breathability and since you protect your hammock from incidental rain, ground splash, etc., isn't necessary but doesn't hurt much.

Calendaring is a process that uses heat and pressure to flatten the weave which greatly reduces breathability. It is used in down products as it tends to "downproof" the fabric.

My strong preference for hammocks is a pure finish which simply means is has no coatings or treatments added and is not calendared. I much prefer the breathability and feel of the pure finish materials.

Many hammocks have been made out of all the above types of fabrics and it is really just a matter of personal preference.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks this is the info I was looking for!

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    For the 1.1, you can always do a double layer for extra durability or to hold a pad.

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    I'll echo the comments above by gmcttr.

I purchased a roll of pure finish 1.1oz/yd ripstop to use for hammock construction. I'm a small guy, so single layer hammocks are ok if I don't want a place to put a pad. I feel its nice and breathable, so it'll be great even in the warmer months.

When I went to purchase nylon fabric for my down underquilt project, I made sure it was calendared and listed as down-proof. It also was listed to have a DWR coating. It probably wouldn't be very suitable as a hammock fabric.

The other option is taffeta instead of ripstop. I think it's usually a little bit heaver than 1.1oz ripstop nylon, but some people prefer the feel of it to ripstop. I believe a decent amount of the larger commercial hammock manufacturers use taffeta because it supposedly has a better feel to it. These are often what are dubbed "parachute" nylon hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I plan on doing either a 1.1 oz double layer or a 1.6 or 1.8 oz single layer.

I thought you were to be able to get a more comfy lay from a double 1.1 or a heavier single layer than a single light weight.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    ...I thought you were to be able to get a more comfy lay from a double 1.1 or a heavier single layer than a single light weight.
    I believe most hangers feel this way but there are some that enjoy the extra stretch of a single layer 1.1 or accept it in exchange for minimal weight.

As with so many things hammock, it comes down to personal preference. Lots of us have made a dozen hammocks of varying fabrics and designs looking for our preference.

• + New Posts