Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    HG 4-Season Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 0°/30° TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

What HG quilt combo for AT?

Hello all. I currently have a 0° Incubator and Burrow from Hammock Gear. They're great, but I would like something smaller and lighter for a thru-hike of the AT next year. Only interested in HG, really, since their stuff is so snazzy and all.

Basically, I was thinking of a Phoenix and a lighter Burrow combo... but which degree rating? I am torn. 20/20, 40/40, or maybe 20 under and 40 over? Either way I would be adding 2oz of overstuff. I heard he could do a 30 too... has anyone received a 30 set? (And do they come with the nice tags that say 30° considering it's custom?)

I don't know if I sleep cold per se, perhaps a bit. But for use on the AT... what's the best bet for a thru? Weight and versatility combined.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    We have a lot of vendors running through this site. I've never had a bad experience with any of them. If you are working towards a quilt set from HG, I'm not going to say anything against it.

Your quilt set should be considered based on when you are setting out on the trail. Starting with a 20F and moving to a 40F and then back to a 20F is something I've heard a lot about.

I use a layering system to accomplish the same thing but with two 40F UQs instead of a 40F and a 20F. I went with the cheaper route. The ease of just taking a 20F TQ and venting it makes sense to me.

My recommendation? 1x 40F Incubator, 1x 40F Phoenix, 1x 20F Burrow with a cinch bottom (I don't like the cinch bottom personally, but if it were the only TQ I had I'd likely do that for use in warmer months).

Best of luck.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    HG 4-Season Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 0°/30° TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks for the reply. My start date would be 3.14.15. I could begin with my 0° Incubator I suppose, but I was looking for an idea of what would be the most flexible given the weight and a fairly insulating clothing system.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Are you a cold sleeper? I think a 0F quilt might be overkill.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

I don't post as much as I used too, and many on here are much more experienced than I....

I will say just a bit based on years passed with the southern part of the AT....There could very well be single digit's a few nights and even upwards of a week to two weeks in the teens. Every year is different, and temps could be warm, mild, cold, or down right freezing.

Hypothermia kills....I personally would not try and use a 40 degree set on a NOBO thru starting in march, my personal use would be at least a 20 degree set with some warm clothing to augment my sleeping items should the temps plummet. It's easy to send things home from the AT, but harder to get things in the middle of the night, shivering in your hammock.

FWIW I am a warm sleeper and can usually push my quilts a lot lower than their ratings, but I know my body and my personal capabilities given the amount of time I have spent outside.

Just my humble opinions which don't add up to much these days.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts