Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images

New HH ULBA

Ok, so it's not exactly new... I bought it from another forum member. Anyway, I started this whole hammock thing with the WBBB not too long ago, but after reading on the site I honestly didn't think I would like the HH at all. I bought it for my brother because on the last trip he kept trying to steal my BB, and we're going backpacking together at the end of the month. I'm not made of money, so I got him this setup.

My first impression was... I like it! There definitely is not as much room as my BB... I'm not claustrophobic or anything, but I'm 6' or so, and I can tell I'm pushing the height limit. I can't get completely flat because I'm too tall, but I was relatively comfortable even with my head riding up the edge. I also can't get nearly as far off center as I can with the BB.

However, I got this whole setup (including tarp and undercover) for a lot less than what I paid just for the hammock on my BB setup. Also, the weight difference was obvious to me as soon as I picked it up. I had dreaded the rope/knot because of all the "press" it gets here, but I found the huggers/hennessy knot to be quite straightforward; definitely not a big hubub like I'd been led to believe. The only thing that struck me about the suspension was that the ropes seem a bit short.

So, I guess I've been "inducted" into another part of the forum and hanging community. Thank God I managed to do it without altering the gravitational pull of my bank account.

My next hammock will be a Blackbird, I just haven't bought one yet 'cause the Hennessy BUL simply works fine for me.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    im in the process of modding a ulba to accept rings and webbing. the one i recieved used had a broken - but repaired - ridgeline. So im also going to replace that one with amsteel. I'll pro'lly take the tarp and add figure 9's so it can be floating, i.e. not tied to the hammock.
    i think its true that the HH knot is not so horrible, but webbing/nano biners are much better.
    I also found a good zipper on an evening Goodwill Hunt that i may add to the mesh, and then just sew the bottom entry shut.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I never thought the ULBA was so tight until I used a BB and went back to the ULBA. Suddenly the my head is up against the bugnet and there is just no room to move around. It is amazing how the BB spoils you. If I am doing alot of miles and i want to watch my pack weight I still take the HH. Once I'm asleep it doesn't matter how much room i have.

I'm glad you choosed this route, it was looking like you were going with another BB, Mambajambe, yeti set up.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I never thought the ULBA was so tight until I used a BB and went back to the ULBA. Suddenly the my head is up against the bugnet and there is just no room to move around. It is amazing how the BB spoils you. If I am doing alot of miles and i want to watch my pack weight I still take the HH. Once I'm asleep it doesn't matter how much room i have.

I'm glad you choosed this route, it was looking like you were going with another BB, Mambajambe, yeti set up.
    Yeah, the first time around it cost me about $450 by the time it was all said and done. That's a cost savings of about $310, although I only got the undercover... not the OCF pad. I'll have to order that separate for $40 or whatever Hennessy is getting for them. Not bad for a bit less room.

I did order a webbing set w/ biners from brandon to mod this, but honestly I like the ropes and tree huggers too, even after being spoiled by the strap system on my BB. I'd leave lit like it is if the ropes were a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Yeah, the HHULB fits me fine, but I'm 5'8". I can see that a six footer would be cramped.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I felt cramped - 5' 7" and claustrophobic. Liked the HH, love the BB, sold the HH. Roll end credits with happy music.

The HH is a great deal until your stock setup has a sagging tarp in the rain. Tie off to the trees, not the hooks on the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I felt cramped - 5' 7" and claustrophobic. Liked the HH, love the BB, sold the HH. Roll end credits with happy music.

The HH is a great deal until your stock setup has a sagging tarp in the rain. Tie off to the trees, not the hooks on the hammock.
    That's partially remedied by the fact that I'll be out there with him, and I have a gigantic tarp (MJ) that he can get under if the weather gets really bad.

The member who sold it to me told me the same thing about tying off to the trees. Did you ever try doing the tensioner thing? Or is that one of those things that only sort of fixes the problem?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You mean tensioners on the guy lines? The problem with the stock tarp hung on the hooks provided for that purpose is that when you move in the hammock, the tarp moves with the hammock, changing the tension on the ridgeline. Winch the tarp tight as you like, everything shifts. Granted, it keeps the tarp close to the bugnet, but that felt claustrophobic too.... The hooks on my ULBA were already bent out of shape when I got the hammock, and a couple of hangs the way it's "supposed" to be told me why. I could have used tensioners on the guylines but it wouldn't cure the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    You mean tensioners on the guy lines? The problem with the stock tarp hung on the hooks provided for that purpose is that when you move in the hammock, the tarp moves with the hammock, changing the tension on the ridgeline. Winch the tarp tight as you like, everything shifts. Granted, it keeps the tarp close to the bugnet, but that felt claustrophobic too.... The hooks on my ULBA were already bent out of shape when I got the hammock, and a couple of hangs the way it's "supposed" to be told me why. I could have used tensioners on the guylines but it wouldn't cure the ridgeline.
    No, I was talking about using tensioners on the ridgeline. I thought that was the accepted way for dealing with the sag on HH tarps. I got that idea from reading just jeff's website.

• + New Posts