Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images

Guilty Pleasures :^)

I'm curious as to how many of you hang in places where you shouldn't, i.e., because the place is really a "no camping" park, or the place closes at sundown, etc. There are several places not too far from where I live where I could hang a hammock, and remain pretty much "invisible" than if I were confined to looking for flat spot to pitch a tent.
    Now, I'm not suggesting anyone do anything illegal, but....am I the only one who thinks about these things :^)
    Best,
    Michael

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    I'm curious as to how many of you hang in places where you shouldn't, i.e., because the place is really a "no camping" park, or the place closes at sundown, etc. There are several places not too far from where I live where I could hang a hammock, and remain pretty much "invisible" than if I were confined to looking for flat spot to pitch a tent.
    Now, I'm not suggesting anyone do anything illegal, but....am I the only one who thinks about these things :^)
    Best,
    Michael
    Of course you're not the only one...it's called "stealthing" and people do it all the time. Sometimes it's just too tempting to resist! Not endorsing it or speaking from personal experience, of course
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I'm not ashamed of it, fact is I live for it! It's actually kind of like a game for me.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Images
    most of my camping is stealth..canoeing rivers and streams..by law anything up to the high water mark is public domain..but land owners often feel diffrently...soo.. cook before dark..keep light to a min at night..and stay at least a hundred yards from a road or bridge...most of the time you will not be noticed ..and like btouer said ..it adds to the excitement...

i go out in my local state park for overnighters and short weekenders all the time. no one ever knows i'm there. and i never leave any trace that i was there. sometimes when i notice that the weather is nice and i've got nothing else to do i'll go out on short notice to whatever spot i can think of that i can walk in too and enjoy a nice night on my lonesome.
    I need to get out of the house more

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1028 View Post
    i go out in my local state park for overnighters and short weekenders all the time. no one ever knows i'm there. and i never leave any trace that i was there. .....
    I have the exact same thing planned. At a nearby state park which has a couple sq.miles of roadless area ( unofficial dirt bike and horse trails only). I already go out there on day hikes and hang just for practice and to take a break. But I asked an official a year or so ago about if backpacking overnighters was allowed, and he said sure. Though there doesn't seem to be any official policy. I don't think it has occured to them that anybody might want to do that. So a couple of months ago, when renewing my annual entrance permit, i asked another younger fellow. He seemed a bit puzzled by my question, then after thinking a minute said "no, camping is only allowed in developed sites". I'll just take that as "no real policy" since another told me yes. And I won't ask next time. I'll just have someone drop me off and I'll hike in and camp. I really won't even have to stealth. I'm sure once the sun goes down, there won't be another human being out there in the 2 sq. miles of roadless. They will never know I'm there, and I won't leave any trace.

Images
    I think it goes along with the saying that is easier to ask forgiveness than promission.

I think as long as you are smart about it, you will be fine. Although I surprised a deer hunter on his way to his tree stand last fall. Lesson learn, one don't listen to my dad on whether or not to stay somewhere, and two don't camp near a tree stand. No matter how old and unused it looks.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I think it goes along with the saying that is easier to ask forgiveness than promission.

I think as long as you are smart about it, you will be fine. Although I surprised a deer hunter on his way to his tree stand last fall. Lesson learn, one don't listen to my dad on whether or not to stay somewhere, and two don't camp near a tree stand. No matter how old and unused it looks.
    Wow, your lucky. I would definitely not be hanging my brown hammock during deer hunting season.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Best,
    Michael
    Michael, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm guilty of hanging my hammock in the parking deck at work from time to time on slow nights and taking a 15 minute nap or so. It's not particularly easy to get backup after only a 15 min siesta, but it's better than nothing.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Wow, your lucky. I would definitely not be hanging my brown hammock during deer hunting season.
    It was only bow season, but the guy had his crossbow (which I'm not going to get into my opinion on) ready to go. Lesson learned, no stealth camping during deer season. I'll be back on that river for a 3 day trip later this month. Hopefully it will not be as eventfull.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast