Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Hammock XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Klymit StaticVLUXE
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, I'm a new member but an old hanger...I have spent a lot of time, effort and money to get the perfect hang...Some of the items that people recommend wasn't even available, I don't think, when I started hammock camping so I am extremely happy that this industry is moving forward and got a lot more mainstream. And although I'm a new member, I really appreciate a forum like this exist to do just that. So, small talks aside, out of my own experience and what's available out there currently, below are the things that I whole-heartedly recommend.

Under $100
    ebay double size hammock: $15 these are surprisingly comfortable and quality is very good IMO. they are comparable to ENO double nest for fraction of the cost. Regardless of which ebay store you buy from, they all seem to have same craftsmanship so I think they are all from same manufacturer. made in china though. As much as I want to stay away from imported goods, I can't seem to get away from products like this when I'm trying to save money. I mean, the Walmart sprung up solely due to availability of such low cost products. I have to admit I take advantage of that from time to time.
    Grand trunk tree strap: $19 (you can skip this part and go w/ webbing $-10)
    (another good way to make webbing is using your old backpack straps and sewing them together, it works better because these are at least 2" in width compared to 1" or 1 1/2" commercially available webbings and it already comes with a cinch buckle $0)
    Whoopie slings: $12 - $20 - Make your own! Buy some amsteel blue lines because you know you will have more than 1 hammock! You can make continuous loops for tarp or hammock ends, soft shackles to replace your carabiners, etc...
    PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt - use "the ultimate hang guide") - $15 - $40 Military surplus store is full of goodies for different uses. you can pick up a poncho liner for cheap and since they are going on the outside, underneath, you really don't need a perfect new one. I used to have 4 piece complete military bivvy sleep system and never felt the need for an underquilt. Downside is they are very heavy and your movement is somewhat limited being in a sleeping bag.
    8x10 nylon tarp - $15 You can find bigger or maybe cheaper nylon tarps. These are chinese made and usually made out of oxford so they are waterproof...can't escape the condensation though.
    USMC field tarp - $15 - 25 This is a better option out of the two I'm providing due to its versatility. They are much durable but little on the heavy side. But if you are like me, you really do not want to stand out with cheap nylon tarp in the woods, because these only come in couple of colors: blue or orange. both are super bright colors that really don't blend anywhere.
    Well, I hope this helps, it might be little more costly depending on your local surplus store but get to know the owner! he will make you a deal!

Dream Set-up
    Clark NX-150 or 250 system. $430 - $470 Comes with suspension and rainfly.
    Whoopie sling upgrade - $0 if you can make your own or up to $20 depending on the length you want.
    Clark z-liner insulation $190 Covers the entire bottom of the hammock, reinforces already very cozy set up down to freezing temp.
    I really don't recommend going with one brand for everything but you really need to determine what you are looking for out of your own system. Clark jungle hammocks provide pretty much everything you need right out of the bag with top notch quality material and craftsmanship as you would expect but it is not for everybody due to its hybrid pole spreader system. Some like them, some don't care for them. It is a preference. People who like open hammocks will tend to stick with open hammocks. I like them because they are practically a tree hanging tent (IMHO). 4 season, naturally provide some insulation by closing mosquito & weather shield. I live in california so I rarely use any UQ with this system from spring to fall. I use klymit static V luxe, the 30" wide air pad underneath and snugpak jungle blanket for top quilt. Let me tell ya, only thing you really need at night, is a bathroom in there.... This set up is the tajmahal of the hammocks IMHO. WOW, my first post! took me a month to figure out how everything goes around here.
    Last edited by bradmind; 12-04-2014 at 14:40.

Yep, the forum rocks. best "o" luck

Hammock
    Dutch/Argon or DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    Varies (Down)
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Jumping onto this thread with (hopefully) a not-newbie to hammocks question, but still newbie to these forums question.

Does anyone have some typical "very light thru hiker setup"? I've tried searching the forums and have found some vintage posts on this topic, but not much with recent vendors and recent gear lists.

Or alternatively, where could this setup go lighter or add convenience without adding much weight? Is this the typical very light thru hiker setup?

Dutch poly-d 10' with summer sock (190g + 156g)
    Dutch speed hooks on amsteel and 4' tree straps (60g)
    Hammock Gear hex tarp (150g)
    Hammock Gear underquilt (360g Phoenix 40 + 1 oz over stuff)
    Fixed ridge line and ridge line organizer from luke's ultralight and stuff sacks for above (60g)

Total: Just over two pounds (and then add a top-quilt or sleeping bag and all other hiking gear). Total Cost: too much, but cheaper than the cheapest of hotels if I hike enough nights with this setup.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyw View Post
    Jumping onto this thread with (hopefully) a not-newbie to hammocks question, but still newbie to these forums question.

Does anyone have some typical "very light thru hiker setup"? I've tried searching the forums and have found some vintage posts on this topic, but not much with recent vendors and recent gear lists.

Or alternatively, where could this setup go lighter or add convenience without adding much weight? Is this the typical very light thru hiker setup?

Dutch poly-d 10' with summer sock (190g + 156g)
    Dutch speed hooks on amsteel and 4' tree straps (60g)
    Hammock Gear hex tarp (150g)
    Hammock Gear underquilt (360g Phoenix 40 + 1 oz over stuff)
    Fixed ridge line and ridge line organizer from luke's ultralight and stuff sacks for above (60g)

Total: Just over two pounds (and then add a top-quilt or sleeping bag and all other hiking gear). Total Cost: too much, but cheaper than the cheapest of hotels if I hike enough nights with this setup.
    I can't imagine shaving much more weight off than that short of just skipping a tarp completely. I also think you've got about as much versatility as you can get. The only thing you might include to add some versatility is some sort of sit pad/foot pad to keep your foot area insulated and double as a place to sit when you stop. You might also substitute a hammock that offers a removable bug net like the Hammeck Envy or one of the Dream Hammock offerings since it's a bit more integrated and would let you pack just the top part that you need depending on the season. This could replace the hammock and sock. I can't imagine this would add much weight but I can't find good specs to really compare since they list weights including suspension.

Hammock
    Dutch/Argon or DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    Varies (Down)
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Thanks! A scrap of foam pad (aka "the sit pad") is also part of my pack list. I missed including it here. I tend to use misc clothes (rain jacket or similar) by my feet instead of the sit pad, but the nightly nest is just however the jumble ends up that day, so sometimes the sit pad is for my feet. I've also enhanced a tyvek mailing envelop for holding my maps/book by adding some of that chrome'd bubble wrap and some fleece attached by spray-adhesive to make an often lumpy but warm pillow option.

I think most removeable-net-integrated hammocks use about 20' of zipper to accomplish the "remove". That zipper's not lighter when taking just the hammock and is about the same when taking both the hammock and the net when there is a tradeoff between taking the bottom half of the sock vs taking that zipper.. And the summer-sock is 50% gnat-mesh already, so depending on which side is "top", having the sock means either a wind blocker or not depending on setup without trading out gear from home.

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I'd have to agree with you there on the weight when you add the zipper vs just using the sock; it makes sense in that context. Sounds like you've got stuff pretty well squared away

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Keen to give this a try!

great fourm!

Super informative!

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Reading all of this in its entirety was the highlight of my day ... Can really help a newly interested hanger!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast