DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I'd bring the fleece. Have you tried to sleep on the pad in a practice hang? I find pads to be slippery suckers.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Eureka Chrysalis, HH Expedition
    Last night, I set up my HH Asym with a large fleeece bank folded in half so it was laying in my hammock as a 3/4 blanket, my trusty thermarest with just a little bit of air and my 20 degree Campmor special sleeping bag. I tried it with the blanket under the pad - not so good. I tried it with the fleece under me- much better.

So comfortable! for the first hour or so. Then, I felt the chill from the bottom.

The temp was in the low 30s. I think this set up will work for when I go to Daytona in March but not so much the trip to North Carolina in April. Time to buy an underquilt.

Thanks!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    April in NC can be anything from blizzard to tropical summer. It seems to change every year, so plan accordingly. We're having a pretty mild February thus far and January was warm as well. Remember you can take layers/insulation off but you can't add on what you don't have. If you car camping I'd suggest two pads and an SPE type device to keep them together. Also be sure that you're usuing your sleeping bag as just a TQ and not as a sleeping bag on the pads. For some reason I find that using a sleeping bag as a sleeping bag on a pad in the hammock makes me colder than sleeping directly on the pad. Of course I've gotten wise to the UQ thing and I've DIYed my own. They really are wonderful things.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

new to the site need some help

Hey everbody im jay, i backpack a good bit and enjoy a hammock much more than a tent. i wouldn't call myself a ultra-light hiker or anything but lately i have been trying to cut the ounces from my pack. recently i bought a warbonnet edge tarp to go over my very old $30 hammock. and guess what the hammock ends stick out about 6" on each end. i have a few ideas on how to fix the problem but would like to know if anyone has had this problem before. is there a way i could set the hammock up differently and this wouldn't happen? i really would like to keep the tarp and not have to upgrade to save weight. just wondering if am making a rookie mistake or something.
    please let me know and thanks for having me on this forum i have been reading it and it is AWESOME.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    it might totally change the lay of the hammock, but you could wack a ridgeline on it to shorten it up.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Most of the links are dead in the first post.

Hammock
    DIY by Raiffnuke
    Tarp
    Modified WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Images
    Hammock: GT Ultralight Travel Hammock - $19.99 Gift
    Tarp: Harbor Freight 8x10 Camo - $7.99 in Store
    Suspension: Pawleys Island Tree Straps - $17.75 @ Amazon
    Insulation: Ponco Liner - $9.99 @ Army/Navy Store
    Total Cost: $56.00
    My Cost: $36.00

The Pawleys Island Tree Straps are listed at $29.99 on their Site. I picked them up at Amazon for $17.75 and added 2 Black Diamond for $6.50 each to save on shipping. The "S" Hooks on the straps are heavy duty as are the rings. I've already removed the hooks and will most likely take a saw to the rings to shave a little more weight.

Thanks for that, it's much appreciated!
    For more tips you can come to Tattoo gun tattoo machines Tattoo Supplies

Noob setup for touring cyclist...

Nice to be here and thanks for the forum. See my intro here

Planning a 6-month cycling trip through Asia in winter and need to get off the ground. Previous trips have been severely hindered by bad sleep. Here's what I've bought/learnt already and I'd appreciate any advice you can offer:

- I'm in the UK and prefer to buy here if the available gear is adequate.
    - I'm 5ft6 and only 140-150lb - cycling will do that to you!
    - I need to be able to go to ground regularly in the absence of trees/posts.
    - I've seen the DD hammocks and I'm wondering if the Travel model (waterproof), which should mean I don't need a groundsheet, would be a waste of money in that it would make me sweat. Otherwise, the idea would be a Frontline (non-waterproof) plus a groundsheet (which one?!) that would possibly double as UQ/windbreaker. Thoughts?
    - I have a 3/4 Thermarest I'd prefer to use between the double base layers, but will that be inadequate? I hope not as it packs nicely into my panniers and it's already paid for.
    - I have 2 SBs (30F and 50F) and would like to be able to put them to use instead of spending more on insulation.
    - I'm used to wearing a lot of clothes while sleeping on the ground in winter - do you think this is an appropriate way of saving weight on extra hammock insulation?
    - I'm undecided on the tarp but DD have a 10ftX10ft one that seems big enough to make a tarp tent.
    - Weight is obviously a concern but sleep is more important!

Hammock
    WBBB / UKH expedition
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks uq+tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutchware
    Before you buy I would explore some options, have a word with Mat at UK Hammocks, he has some very good kit and offers a good service. No connection just a happy customer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast