Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Newb here. I used to paddle whitewater (hardboats and rafts) in the '90s and have done a few walks back in the day, so I have a bit of old-*** gear and have slept (on the ground) in enough places to make me think that being off the ground is a nice idea.

I've been pretty hard into cycling for quite a few years, and now kids are getting old enough I'm looking at doing a few short bike tours. Most likely in the S24O style (sub 24-hour overnight), because my big girl has special needs and it's not easy for me to get away for long times.

So, I'm thinking that a hammock rig would be a good thing. I'd never twigged that diagonal lay was how to do it, so I've rigged up my wife's crappy cotton yard-hammock to try, and I think there's some potential there. Comfy. Still, I don't know if this is going to be really manageable, so not up for spending big money. At least, not yet.

I'm starting cheap. I've ordered a cheap hammock (https://www.banggood.com/IPRee-Upgra...p-1188271.html) - figuring that a spare basic hammock won't be a bad thing to have lying around if/when I do upgrade; and a cheap 10' square tarp (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232514998343) - figuring that tarps are pretty universal and the old blue polytarp I've covered my sailboat with for the winter needs replacing if it comes to that.

For insulation - I'm in a cold-ish part of southeastern Australia, where winter temperatures go a few degrees below freezing at worst. Now's the worst time of year. I'm keen to get out there, but in reality, probably won't be out until it's warmer. I've got a few thermarests and probably a CCF rolly somewhere in the shed. Hard to carry lightweight style on a bike, but doable as a starter until I figure out something better. I have a couple of old sleeping bags. Longer term, thinking I'll probably invest (time or money) into quilts. Costco throw style (I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine), or not. Quilts are a new thing since I last spent time outdoors, so I'll need to do some research. I also picked up a big windshield reflector for $5, for more experimental testing.

I should also point out at this point that I've trained and worked 20 years as an engineer (although I'm doing other things now). I like a bit of problem solving and tinkering ;-)

Suspension wise... I have no problem with ropes, straps and knots. From a boating background... tying kayaks on to cars, swiftwater rescue work, makeshift tarp shelters... been there, done that. I've hung off a few cliffs as well, so I know how to tie a knot I'd trust my life to. I have plenty of 1" tie-down straps to scavenge, until I figure out why anyone spends more.

This time of year (when I probably need better insulation than I have) I don't really need a bug net. But it's Australia, most things here want to kill me, and bugs get bad in summer, so I'll need something when it gets warmer. Haven't locked anything in yet. Maybe a DIY job from thrift-shop curtains? Maybe a $20 cheapie from eBay?

So that's my first, toe-in-the-water setup plans. Not throwing away too much money, expecting this to be a short term stepping stone arrangement.

Longer term... depends how things go with my ghetto rig. I'm not going to be spending hundreds of nights a year in a hammock, but I can see the attraction of putting some money into a setup that isn't crap. With zero experience, I think the Naturehike windcloud (Hennessy copy?) looks like a good deal (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm//3324559...pid=1377411636). Still needs insulation, so I need to work that out separately, but can transfer learnings from my ghetto rig.

Looking forward to getting out, and looking forward to tweaking my setup over time.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Welcome to the madness! I hope you find hammocking as rewarding (and addicting!) as the rest of us...

The hammock you ordered is pretty short (270 cm/8' 10"), though there are some people (those who are height challenged...) for whom that may be a perfectly comfortable size. Most people claim that a minimum length for a comfortable hammock (measuring only the fabric, but none of the attachment gear) should be more like 10 or 11 feet (~300-330 cm). Note that many vendors' measurements include parts of the suspension beyond the fabric, and until you have it in hand, you may not know exactly how long the hammock is.

The ebay hammock you listed does not say how long it is, so though the price looks good for a full set up, you may end up with another too-short hammock. If you were in the States, I'd suggest you check out DutchwareGear's netless $25-30 US hammock sale [https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ne...ammock-sale-2/], but I have no idea what it costs to get stuff from here to Down Under.

Check out DIY options as well -- RipStopByTheRoll and DutchwareGear (and other online sources) have detailed information on how to make your own gear. Less expensive and very satisfying to create something for yourself, with personal tweaks that meet your own needs.

Another place to look is the DIY forum here -- lots of folks successfully making stuff who have never even touched a sewing machine before, as well as many many knowledgeable people who offer great instruction on how to do it.

Good luck with your bike trips and I hope hammocks are a good solution for you!

Thanks P-dub.
    I'm 178cm (5'10") and about 75kg (um... 150-160#?), so not super tall, but normal size gear is what I'll need.
    Lucky cheap hammocks are really cheap (and handy as a backup), so whatever turns up in the post I'm sure I'll find a use for.
    Talking to my 10yo daughter (as a dad with a new obsession is wont to do), she's keen to give it a try too, and wants to come on overnighters with me, so any too-small gear already has a home :-D

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Perfect !!

What budget setup would you guys go with if you wanted to focus on lightweight as a priority?

Requirements
    - I'm only 160lbs, so material can be lighter
    - Must have a bug net. I'm in lyme disease territory
    - Want as light as possible since I want to try to hike 10+ miles with it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Quote Originally Posted by nquinn View Post
    What budget setup would you guys go with if you wanted to focus on lightweight as a priority?

Requirements
    - I'm only 160lbs, so material can be lighter
    - Must have a bug net. I'm in lyme disease territory
    - Want as light as possible since I want to try to hike 10+ miles with it.
    I prefer a mod hammock like the dutchware Chameleon. There are lighter hammocks that have the bug net permanently attached to it but with the Chameleon I can put a winter cover over on for cold temps. You could use a sock in the winter if you had to stick with the mesh top but that’ll add more weight and I’ve found condensation an issue with socks. Chameleon weighs in around 16 where the dutch half zipped is around 12. Either way their both super light to me coming from a tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DD 3.5 x 3.5 Tarp
    Insulation
    HG Economy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie-sling
    Item Total weight Cost
    Camping Hammock DIY 1 $35.00
    Whoopie sling/strap DIY 0.25 $7.28
    Chinook tarp 9.6x12 1.75 $58.43
    Bottom entry bug net 0.3 $59.95
    HG 20 Underquilt 1.6 $161.35
    Total Weight 4.9 lbs $322.01 Total cost

I'm 6'5 225 lbs so i can take a little more weight if needed but this is just my lightest set up, for now.

camping set up.PNG

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Barefoot, welcome to the club. Here are some thoughts -
    On warmth: with a hammock you loose heat via air currents under the hammock. Even on a warm day, when there's a breeze, you can feel it. So you need to attend to that.

On Knot tying: Knots are fine - but ... often you need to make an adjustment after the initial setup; a change in suspension length or raising/lowing the suspension height on the tree. Many people use clips instead of knots for easy in loosening/tightening those connections to make adjustments.

On Cheap hammocks/saving money: Making your own hammock doesn't have to be expensive but beware of cheap commercial hammocks because they are usually too short and/or too narrow for sleeping comfort. They might be fine for resting on a day hike, but most prefer around a 10 - 11 foot hammock for sleeping. My experience with "cheap" hammocks is they are too short - more like 3 meters or less.

On Weight: With more shopping and unlimited wealth, you can buy ultralight gear. But generally, when you add in tarp, suspension rigging, maybe a bug net, etc. the hammock setup will weight close to the same as tent camping. The difference is in comfort. Once my body experienced a night without pine cones, rocks, tree roots, and being able to get in/out of bed without crawling around on hands and knees, it never wanted to back to ground.

On Comfort: It might take a few times in a hammock before muscles relearn they can relax; that they are completely supported. People sometimes think they will sleep (toss/turn) like they do in a bed. But a bed creates pressure points that aren't there in a hammock. So you can find a comfortable position and just rest. But it might take a night or two. Also, there are a few "tweaks" that can make a big difference - like raising the foot end a little (about six inches) to inhibit the tendency to slide to the middle. And adjusting the sag (distance between hammock ends) to minimize pressure on a calf muscle (or use a camp pillow or jacket under the knee), And setting the hammock height so you can just swing your legs over and stand up (like getting up from a chair).

Usually, a persons first experience is so much better than the ground, that it all feels good. After a while their tastes get more refined; more sensitive to sensations unnoticed before. Then comes the fun of "dialing it in" - making those little adjustments so things are just right. Once the best end distance is determined for a specific hammock, you can attach a line/cord from end to end as an indicator of the best distance. Then, for trees of different distance apart, you'll be adjusting the suspension length and height on the tree, to maintain that "best" hammock end distance and height above ground.

Hi, another newbie here

To start with hammocking I was looking for a summer lounge hammock, later upgradeable to more serious sleeping arrangements. However I would like to take it on day hikes for resting or on camping as an addition to the tent, so weight is a factor.
    Narrowed it down to Dutchware, was looking at the chameleon for some time, but ultimately a more separate system seemed better (lighter when not needing a bugnet for example, I guess because no zippers, and a netless with a standalone bug-net or later sleeve if needed is not that heavier than a cham., with the additional bottom protection wich eliminates DL considerations, so I'm not so sure what are the advantages of a modular cham. system ).

I'm 6'2" and 265 lbs.

So at the moment I'm looking at 11ft 1.6 wide with ridgeline and knotty mod, peak shelf, ridgeline organizer and bottom entry bugnet.
    For suspension: beetle buckle and polyester straps, sewn in Dutch clips.

Would you guys consider that a reasonable choice?

Thank you,

G
    Last edited by Goran; 03-25-2019 at 18:44.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock gear cuben
    Insulation
    down quilts
    Suspension
    dutch straps
    I am also a newbie. After fifty three years of camping ( I'm 60 and started camping at age 7 with my parents ) I was having problems with pressure points no matter what the pad, and I was really getting tired of the crawl in and out of the tent for midnight "stargazing" and just general lounging or resting after or before hiking on long trails day after day after day. Honestly you're tired enouigh at the end of each day...why make more work when one's supposed to be resting? I have done the CDT and PCT (five times) and the AZT and CT and hope to hike the AT. I will admit that after losing 70 pounds in the last three years that I attested my uncomfortableness on the ground to having less padding. I was plainly suffering. I love to cowboy camp just because of the view all night and the ease of not having to crawl out of the tent, but where I live there are scorpions and rattle snakes and black widows and recluse spiders so cowboy camping often results in finding interesting bedfellows that you didn't know you had in the morning while packing up! I had a friend who did a part of the AZT with me, and she had a Warbonnet and it seemed so elegant and practical, so I started studying hammocking. I saved some $$$ with the intent of going as ultralight as possible and now have two Chameleons with the bug net and the vented top cover, beetle buckles and spider poly straps, one HG dyneema fiber standard tarp with doors and am waiting on delivery of a Warbonnet superfly in camo ( I like to stealth camp ). I am using a zepplin underquilt and a EE underquilt with my normal overquilts but I did splurge on a Sierra Sniviller just for the added possible poncho use. I'm a scientific type and am enjoying the learning curve and the fiddle factor is for me, fun. Once I got it "right" it was amazing. Never have I slept so well with less tossing and turning than ever, in fact I may just put my bed in the guest room when I move and just go to hammock sleeping 24/7.

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast