Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Drusilla, might I suggest that if you are considering hammock sleeping 7 (24/7 sleeping is a bit extreme ), look around outside and see if it allows somewhere to hang. Because the night air is so much more pleasant than heated inside air. If you can open a window without having your home heating system try to heat the whole outdoors, that would work too. I find the ability to breath outside air (as long as neighbors aren't using those smelly dryer sheets) rather than heated/dry air, a real treat.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    Outdoors Way Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    So when I first started hanging I was all about budget gear (and still am) I didn't have much money at all so I worked with that I could get. I started just lounging and then decided to go on weekend trips in my Canoe which I really enjoy and am hoping to start backpacking this year once I get the rest of my gear sorted out.

My first trip gear was
    isYoung Hammock with mosquito net - $28 - Amazon
    9x11 blue tarp - $7 - Harbor Freight
    Cam Buckle Straps - $10 - Harbor Freight
    DIY Gemini Underquilt - $65ish
    Old coleman sleeping bag I've had forever
    Total - $110

It was a good first time out. I got really good sleep and kept nice and warm. I kinda decided I would like a larger Hammock to get even more comfortable, the isYoung is only 9.5ft x 57in. I still use the Hammock and under quilt.

My set up once my new Dream Hammock arrives will be
    Dream Hammock Raven - $173
    Outdoors Way Hammock Tarp - $20 - Amazon
    ENO Atlas Chroma Straps - $15 - Camping World
    DIY Gemini Underquilt - $65ish
    Campland Down Mummy Bag - $26 - Amazon
    Total - $299

Most of my newer gear was bought with coupons and discount codes. I've been gearing up all winter to get lighter and more compact. Just buying as I find deals and can afford. At full price the total is probably well over $400.
    I have never been a fan of just buying top of the line gear right out of the gate I kinda just get what I can afford, to get out and try new things then if I enjoy it I save and deal for better gear. If you ask me the right gear is the gear that gets you out and hanging! It may not be the cheapest in the long run but all my gear was bought over probably 4 years so I have had many adventures with my cheep gear that I wouldn't have had if I had to wait and save for really expensive gear. But if you have the money go for the high end gear it's totally worth it!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I’m new hear and just completed a camping trip with my new hammock.

Under $100

I did a Easthills combo $70
    Includes hammock, bugnet, straps, and tarp.
    I used an old therma rest par and big agnus sleeping bag. A friend loaned me a snug under blanket. It worked well. The second night was great the 1st night not so good. I have it set up at fort Davis right now for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Drusilla, might I suggest that if you are considering hammock sleeping 7 (24/7 sleeping is a bit extreme ), look around outside and see if it allows somewhere to hang. Because the night air is so much more pleasant than heated inside air. If you can open a window without having your home heating system try to heat the whole outdoors, that would work too. I find the ability to breath outside air (as long as neighbors aren't using those smelly dryer sheets) rather than heated/dry air, a real treat.
    yeah natural air is always good.
    provided its not TOO COLD.... haha
    if its too cold, i can't stop shivering, and if multiple blankets can't help, off I go looking for heated air.

Another noob here.

When I decided to experiment with sleeping in a hammock instead of the bed, I had budget to consider. My first purchase was a Best Choice Products hammock and stand from Amazon for ~$70. For the first couple of nights I switched back and forth, but it was the hammock full time after the third night. That weekend, the bed went bye-bye and I love how much more spacious my bedroom/project room is now.

The Brazilian hammock that came with the stand was comfortable but not perfect (shoulder squeeze), so I continued looking for my ideal setup on a budget. When I learned about spreader bars, of course I wanted to try them. I ordered an inexpensive hammock with spreader bars, but the fabric was like a cheap beach towel and much too stretchy, so I returned it the next day.

Next, I ordered a Skyin flat-lay hammock with spreader bars and patented "foot pockets." It was great for back sleeping, but trying to turn even a little to the side was impossible. Since I'm mostly a side sleeper, that wouldn't do, so back it went. Gotta love Amazon's return policy.

It was around then that I discovered this site, and spent the next month just reading and learning. I was captivated by the tutorial on Navy clews and hammocks, so made a couple of clews for fun. The 10.10-oz Army duck, grommets, and other materials I ordered will arrive on Wednesday, so a Navy hammock will be in progress soon. I suspect some version of a bridge hammock is going to be what I end up liking best, so I ordered enough fabric for that, as well, which will be next.

Learning about hammocks has been very enlightening (who knew there was so much to learn?) and a lot of fun, and making my own is something I'm looking forward to. Weight is of no concern here, so I'm looking forward also to playing with fabrics. Someone mentioned having made a hammock of fleece, which sounds utterly decadent, so maybe down the road I'll even try that. It will take some time and some experimentation (the really fun part), but I will eventually develop my ideal bedroom hang and it will be beautiful.

This site and its members have provided valuable educational and inspirational guidance, along with links to other very helpful sites, and I'm grateful.

Entertainment bonus: One of my cats loves the hammock, sleeps in it with me and takes it over as soon as I'm out of it. She gets downright feisty when I tell her she has to move.

Anissa 2019-09-18a Hammock cat.jpgAnissa 2019-08-03c Hammock cat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dagsan View Post
    It was great for back sleeping, but trying to turn even a little to the side was impossible. Since I'm mostly a side sleeper, that wouldn't do
    I was a dedicated side-sleeper too before moving to a hammock. The first few weeks were hard as I frequently wanted to roll over - completely out of habit, not due to discomfort - but that wasn't an option. Now when I hop in my hammock to watch a movie or tv show I often fall asleep whether I mean to or not...

To each his own, of course, but maybe try dedicating yourself to back sleeping for a few weeks to see if you can adjust. You might find it works for you.

Images
    Looks like you're gonna have to make your cat her own hammock.

That's one option.

"... [M]aybe try dedicating yourself to back sleeping for a few weeks to see if you can adjust."

I do always wake up on my back, no matter how I go to sleep. Since I'm into learning how to make hammocks, though, with the goal of creating my perfect, luxurious bedroom hang, I'm going to create one that allows for at least partial side sleeping.

This is not about adjusting and adapting to conditions, as usual. This is all about an old lady's comfort, so my preferences will be indulged. It's the hammock that will get any needed adjustments or modifications.
    Last edited by dagsan; 11-02-2019 at 10:55. Reason: Add quote at beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Looks like you're gonna have to make your cat her own hammock.
    I think you may be right. Knowing the little brat, though, she'll probably still prefer hijacking mine.

20191106_105441.jpg An actual cat hammock, made as a practice hammock for my own bridge that I'm making with a dutchware kit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast