Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robro View Post
    Hey all. I got bit by the hanging bug on a recent 4-day backpacking trip where one of my friends brought his new hammock. He let me have a lay in it one night and I immediately knew I had to have one of my own. I do NOT sleep well on the ground.

So I spent the last week devouring any and all hammock-related knowledge I could find in the pursuit of putting together my first rig. I've watched Shug's videos, WBG's videos, Grizz's videos and have read tons of threads on this fine forum.

Now after all that exhaustive research I've put together a list of gear that I think will make for a pretty sweet 3-season rig. My goals for this rig were for it to be: reasonably light, easy and quick to set up and take down, adjustable, and fairly economical.

Let me know if you think I've met my goals and if I've forgotten anything essential. Thanks!

Click here to go to the Google Docs file.

FYI: the 1.75mm Zing-It and shock cord would be for making a set of self-tensioning tarp guy lines.
    Good grief that's awesome!! That is exactly the sort of list I was trying to make... Thanks for doing the hard work...
    What would it take to make that a four season rig.
    Have you changed your opinions since you made the original list? It seems like everything takes "about a grand" to rig up. From climbing, to intro level mountain biking now to hammock camping.. You didn't include a stove or backpack....

Again, nicely done!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    That list looks like you have a mission in mind.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook Tech. 9x12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY Slap-Straps
    This is a great thread ! Awesome ideas for those who have no clue what to start with. I camped in a cheap moskito traveler hammock for over a year before a bought my eno double- it was the best 50$ I ever spent...so much room and comfort in the eno and very customizable as well

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    My set up is great for me
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double adjustable webbing strap $175.00 http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php

Kelty Noah's 9 Tarp $60.00
    http://www.kelty.com/p-518-noahs-tar...tents-shelters

te-wa "freeze" three season Under Quilt $190.00
    http://tewaunderquilts.webs.com/apps...s/show/1216221

Total: $425.00

Throw in some clips and line, some cheap padding for summer and I'm around $500. It adds up quickly but buying quality pays off in the long run.

Above was my original reply to this thread. Now that I have a little more experience I have upgraded my UQ to a Hammock Gear Incubator
    http://www.hammockgear.com/incubator-40-long

My te-wa is a fine summer quilt but this fall I found the coverage just a bit to small.

I also added a new WB Superfly http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/gal...&g2_itemId=148 to the kit.

Adding some Dutch Ware http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...re-quilt-hooks hooks and now I have a comfortable real four season rig.

All I want to add now is a TQ and probably going with a Hammock Gear http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-40

and oh, just bought a new Traverler http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php for the summer quick hang to add to the Kelty tarp.

Cheers
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Hammock Set Up Under $50:

Hammock-Grand Trunk Ultralight $14.25
    Tarp-TexSport 8x10 $12.58
    Insulation-Thinlight Insulation Pad 3/16 $19.00
    Suspention-Free comes with the GT

Total $45.83 w/o tax but not a bad start......
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Should a noob start out cheep or go for a good quality out fit?

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies

My take is if your on the fence start cheap and in the summer. Less gear to buy upfront. Even if you get a cheaper hammock you can always add a TQ, UQ, and more expensive tarp later. But if you are in then go all the way and get the good stuff up front. Plus checking out a local hang wouldn't hurt.
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutsnoa View Post

My take is if your on the fence start cheap and in the summer. Less gear to buy upfront. Even if you get a cheaper hammock you can always add a TQ, UQ, and more expensive tarp later. But if you are in then go all the way and get the good stuff up front. Plus checking out a local hang wouldn't hurt.
    Some will say get what you can afford, no sense in investing into something you might not do, others will say buy quality and only buy once. After 2 years, I'd suggest DIY and make what you need, as your needs change, you can learn to alter or just make new again.
    Hammock Gear List: https://lighterpack.com/r/cwjf0g

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    I agree with Doc Patches, if you can DYI even better bc you can tweek all you want. I started with a Grand Trunk Ultralight at $14. I saw it as a win win bc if I didn't continue with hammock camping then I still had a hammock for the back yard.

Noob hammock and winter camper, gear suggestions?

Hello, I just got into hammock camping towards the end of last summer. I bought a grand t ultra light, a Byer of Maine easy travel hammock, and made an attempt at a DIY gathered end with rip stop I found at Wally World. First impressions were that I have definitely been bitten by the hammock bug. I have a long way to go, however, before I can, get set up and comfortable in under a half hour with any consistency. I also am not crazy about having one side of my body pushed a little higher than the other on the wall side of the hammock. I am laying on the diagonal but wonder if I'm doing something wrong here. I'm not sure if getting a WBBB would solve this, with the foot box, or if I just need to get better at adjusting the suspension so that there is the right amount of sag.

So after all that, here is my question(s): 1) if having my feet touch and one side pushed up bothers me, is this something that can be overcome with better hammocks (ie wbbb or others with a foot box) or will I just be marginally more comfortable and still asymmetrically posed

2) if you we're new and still trying to figure out if this is for you, and wanted to give winter hanging a go, would you recommend getting a WBBB, and getting by with pad for bottom insulation and regular sleeping bag for top insulation until you could save up for underquilt, or would you recommend I get better at using what I have and spend the money on the underquilt?

Sorry for the giant explanation. I really appreciate any suggestions you have for me.

Thanks,
    Tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast