Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie

I am gonna love my hammock this summer

I just cant get warm in my hammock. Anyone else have this problem. I have a 20 underquilt 15 top. Ive been out on several time in 45temps cant get warm. UQ up nice and snug/not too tight. I am usually a warn sleeper. Any suggestions.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Any more info as to what is specifically cold? Top or bottom? I'm a noob, a semi cold sleeper, and was able to get comfy warm at 21 degrees using pads and sleeping bag. The first 25 degree day my bottom stuff was warm but I was a little chilly up top, despite still being able to fall asleep. I beefed up the top insulation and tried on a 21 degree night and it was toasty.

I do however get in wearing at least one layer of thermals, expedition weight socks, balaclava, and winter hat as a default as I've always used that as a base when winter camping in the past (on the ground).

ETA: I do also have a winter top cover for my WBBB XLC and that definitely helps a lot. It surprises me just how warmer the micro climate in the hammock is every time I unzip it and feel the outside air.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    My suggestion is to have someone check your setup with you in it. Sometimes, another pair of eyes will see something you missed or can't see while your in it.

My setup is extreme for cold conditions and I've had the opposite results as you. Been warm to 23*F with 40*F+, gear being used. I have tested and retested and changed and fixed any major problems at home before going to the field.

I did have a small problem at 25*F with the UQ but fixed that in the field with better shockcord to hold the UQ in below freezing temps. (Shockcord doesn't bounce back easily when cold).

Good luck with your gear and show us pics of your setup. Try to get pics with you in your hammock and the quilts set up.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by loghangin View Post
    Any more info as to what is specifically cold? Top or bottom? I'm a noob, a semi cold sleeper, and was able to get comfy warm at 21 degrees using pads and sleeping bag. The first 25 degree day my bottom stuff was warm but I was a little chilly up top, despite still being able to fall asleep. I beefed up the top insulation and tried on a 21 degree night and it was toasty.

I do however get in wearing at least one layer of thermals, expedition weight socks, balaclava, and winter hat as a default as I've always used that as a base when winter camping in the past (on the ground).

ETA: I do also have a winter top cover for my WBBB XLC and that definitely helps a lot. It surprises me just how warmer the micro climate in the hammock is every time I unzip it and feel the outside air.
    No cold spots...just a general chill. I do not have on extra clothes

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I agree with having somebody else take a look if you can arrange it. We'll be in Uwharrie next weekend.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    Thanks FLH. GOod suggestion. I am set to do a hang at Merchant mill Pond in NC. I will get the experts to help check out my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    My suggestion is to have someone check your setup with you in it. Sometimes, another pair of eyes will see something you missed or can't see while your in it.

My setup is extreme for cold conditions and I've had the opposite results as you. Been warm to 23*F with 40*F+, gear being used. I have tested and retested and changed and fixed any major problems at home before going to the field.

I did have a small problem at 25*F with the UQ but fixed that in the field with better shockcord to hold the UQ in below freezing temps. (Shockcord doesn't bounce back easily when cold).

Good luck with your gear and show us pics of your setup. Try to get pics with you in your hammock and the quilts set up.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Gunner76 was my hammock sensei when I started. You'll be in good hands.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Gunner76 was my hammock sensei when I started. You'll be in good hands.
    Thanks for the invite but you guys are about 7-8hours away. Glad to know gunner knows what he s doing

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I am a very cold sleeper and the keys to me staying warm, other than my quilts, are a base layer of merino wool blend, medium weight wool socks, a merino wool buff around my neck and quite often over the top of my head, a hat, and Flame Throwers for my feet. This is standard gear for 40* nights and below. My top quilt is a 0* and the UQ is 20*. I also use an under quilt protector year round and a ridge line suspended top cover that goes up to about my neck. The top cover is designed to keep off the cold air that descends from the mountains very early in the mornings (katabatic air flow).
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    In addition to making sure it's all buttoned up nice and tight preheat the hammock with a hot water bottle and keep it between your legs all night.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast