Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Torso UQ
    Images

Help replacing HH ridgeline

Ridgeline snapped on my girlfriend while she was in my Explorer Ultralight. My fault, I hung it between two trees that were too far apart and I had cranked down the cinch buckles entirely too tight. Anyway the ridgeline bonked her in the head, startled her, switched on her grumpy mode for the next hour or so. She doesn't trust the spectra at all now, so I've got 12' of Amsteel Grey with which to replace the ridgeline.

I'm not too good with knots, and looking at what's left of the broken spectra I'm stumped as to how to go about doing this. I'm at the foot end of the hammock and so far I have the Amsteel threaded through the HH wrap and looped around the suspension line (in my case, Spyderline which is prussik'd around cinch buckles).

Like this, only imagine Amsteel grey there instead of that loop of stock black spectra:

What do I do next? I've searched a ton of threads on ridgelines, mini-biners, figure-8 knots, stopper knots, and more and my head's spinning. I explained to the ol' lady the mini-biner set up that some folks had rigged up, which made the ridgeline detachable so that you can sit in the HH like a chair, but she doesn't want that. She wants one continuous ridgeline identical to the stock setup. Me and my pea-sized brain could use a little help from HF here...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I explained to the ol' lady the mini-biner set up that some folks had rigged up, which made the ridgeline detachable so that you can sit in the HH like a chair, but she doesn't want that. She wants one continuous ridgeline identical to the stock setup.
    Just tell her she is wrong, and use the 'biner method. That will win you a warm spot in her heart.

No constructive help here, other than saying that I feel your pain. Why go through all the pain of reconstruction the whipping on the HH if you don't have to? Well, other than "If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!" You need to work on your salesmanship, and get the eskimo to buy the ice cubes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Torso UQ
    Images
    Took your advice, FF, and went ahead with the 'biner. Worked out fine in the end. I got a lot of help from this thread (which I went ahead and tagged for future reference). I spliced the Amsteel onto the stock loop at the head end with a sheet bend, and at the foot end I tied the other end of the Amsteel onto the 'biner with a bowline. 'Biner then clips to the stock loop there at the foot end.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    and I'm sure this doesn't need saying, but: "you don't need to crank it tight!"

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts