11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Finished a couple of hammocks

I made the first on from 1.9 ripstop nylon dwr. I sewed one inch channels on each end then hemmed the sides. I used a roll hem and thats like wrestling a greased pig in the rain. Stitches look like ziz zag but are supposed to be straight. He he. I ran some #18 bank line through the channel to make the balled end then used the same to lash it together. I have an ENO Doublenest and my homemade is more comfortable. I think it is because the material does not stretch as much and is not as wide. Whoopie slings for suspension. Hammock, suspension and stuff bag weighs in at 16.63 ozs. I made one for my daughter using crinkle taffeta from the tablecloth factory. $11. Cinched and tied up as above. Have not slept in it but laid in it. Seems ok. By the way on the first one I tried two different methods to gather the ends but did not like them, so i ended up with the ends as described. One method i wadded the end up then pulled the sides out a little to tighten up the sides, the other method was the folded deal. Saw both these somewhere on net. Table cloth is so easy. The tablecloth looks like the same as on my ENO.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Looks like you have some great setups.

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    Hit fig, nice going!

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliev View Post
    I made the first on from 1.9 ripstop nylon dwr. I sewed one inch channels on each end then hemmed the sides. I used a roll hem and thats like wrestling a greased pig in the rain. Stitches look like ziz zag but are supposed to be straight. He he.
    Haha, don't worry, it does get easier with a little practice. My stiches look more like waves than zig zags these days

Another thing to remember is that everyone is more critical of their own work. When I showed a friend my diy tarp he wouldn't beleive that I made it until I pointed out the flaws.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Haha, don't worry, it does get easier with a little practice. My stiches look more like waves than zig zags these days

Another thing to remember is that everyone is more critical of their own work. When I showed a friend my diy tarp he wouldn't beleive that I made it until I pointed out the flaws.

Pics or it didn't happen!

I'm not alone! A mate I gifted a hammock wanted proof I didn't buy it. Only way I could prove was to show him my tarp, sl, dl and bridge hammock were all made with the same material.... beige. Haha. I run out of grosgrain so ended up using some random ribbon from my wedding. Great thing about DIY is I had no hesitation once I had the material/time/motivation to tweak it to my plan.

Hang in their bud! Self criticism can lead to despair or improvement. Let it drive you not crash you. I gave up because I'm lazy. I still DIY but give up on perfection.
    I wanna see some pics of what you made too.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliev View Post
    ...I sewed one inch channels on each end then hemmed the sides. I used a roll hem and thats like wrestling a greased pig in the rain...
    Welcome to the DYI addiction. Pics or it didn't happen.

For those that may follow, hem the long edges first and then the end hems to leave an open channel on the end.

Here's vids to show how two of us handle rolled hems in ripstop nylon. See posts 28 and 31. Hope it helps on the next one.

• + New Posts