Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar

Insulated hammocks vs UQ

Since seeing several posts about insulated Hammocks, I am wondering more and more if it is not the better solution. A hammock with a sewn on underquilt would eliminate the extra suspension and any problems with placement or compression.

Why has this not taken off? Having never seen one I do not know the down side. Is it the expense of having multiple hammocks for different seasons? All that I have seen posted were deep winter hammocks. I am interested in one with just a light weight under layer good to about 50°.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    I like being able to adjust my underquilt, and you cant on a sewn on quilt. Not only this, but you can vent an underquilt, or remove it during warmer temps. cant do that with the latter.
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Images
    Keys, beltknives, beltbuckles any pokey object accidently forgotten can damage a hammock. I'd rather replace just the hammock.
    Also many of us who have tried several highend hammocks have developed favorites and they don't offer a sewn on UQ.

YMMV

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9LW
    Suspension
    Amok Suspension
    I could see myself getting one dedicated to winter camping, when I know I'm going to want as much warmth as possible. Otherwise, I like the the flexibility of a system with an underquilt. Even my no sew PLUQ gives me the ability to vent and shift.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I am sitting on the fence with the insulated hammocks. I am getting one soon so my feedback will be better after I use it.

I am going to play devil's advocate with the venting. I can't remember the last time I vented a UQ. I have vented my TQ to regulate temperature every hang. If you have to vent a UQ you are way over insulated somewhere. I can use the same UQ from single digits to 50* and control temp with top insulation. I think a lot of people over insulate the top and instead of ditching that down jacket or fleece feel they need to vent the UQ. It won't take long before they need to pull it back up creating a cycle of "venting"

I can remember not using a UQ until early morning in the summer months but this is not the season the insulated hammock is intended.

I am going to try an insulated hammock that has similar loft to my main UQ and see how it goes. It should work if you take the venting argument away.

Just my opinion and wife says it aint worth a dang

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    What about a zip-on underquilt with 4 zippers, 2 on each side of the hammock, this lets you vent where you want and makes it easy to set up and get it at the right place and not move around every time.

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I am sitting on the fence with the insulated hammocks. I am getting one soon so my feedback will be better after I use it.

I am going to play devil's advocate with the venting. I can't remember the last time I vented a UQ. I have vented my TQ to regulate temperature every hang. If you have to vent a UQ you are way over insulated somewhere. I can use the same UQ from single digits to 50* and control temp with top insulation. I think a lot of people over insulate the top and instead of ditching that down jacket or fleece feel they need to vent the UQ. It won't take long before they need to pull it back up creating a cycle of "venting"

I can remember not using a UQ until early morning in the summer months but this is not the season the insulated hammock is intended.

I am going to try an insulated hammock that has similar loft to my main UQ and see how it goes. It should work if you take the venting argument away.

Just my opinion and wife says it aint worth a dang
    hangnout, as usual you speak with wisdom, I have missed seeing you and your timely comments around here.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I like 'em, but I make my own, and they are labor-intensive. Current design has a thin layer of integrated insulation - good to maybe 50 degrees F. for a cold-sleeper like myself. I have a supplemental underquilt for colder temps, but it attaches directly to the underside of the hammock insulation, so I don't have problems with air infiltration. (I have trouble with most uq suspension systems, but that's just me.)

As to why they aren't taking off, I think they are, compared to 5 years ago. They won't replace underquilts, but that's not surprising. A great many people still get excellent use out of ccf pads. One or two still use tents.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Now I remember in one of Shugs Frozen butt hang video's a Hanger who had pockets on the bottom of his hammock. And he put in Down tubes for the insulation. I would imagine he could have different tubes for different insulation levels. That to me looked like a great option.

I've never worked with climashield yet. But would it be possible to have a pocket with Velcro ends on the bottom to switch out various weights of climashield?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have the Speer hammock with Snugfit UQ that attaches with velcro, and I love it. I don't have to fiddle with it at all. I may one day try to make my own hammock and UQ with the velcro attachment. So many projects-so little time!

I have several hammocks and want the versatility of putting the UQ on which ever hammock I choose to use that day. Plus I have different UQ's. (ie. 0*, 20* and 50*)
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast