Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ultimate Survival Technologies BASE Hex Tarp

Hi, I know Im new, but I did a bit of searching (both the forum and the internet) to find more info on this tarp, but couldnt really find anything.

Up for discussion here is the "Ultimate Survival Technologies" (UST) B.A.S.E Hex Tarp.
    http://www.reveresupply.com/2013_ust..._hex_tarp.html

It is a hex/cat tarp, made of "nylon", orange on one side and "aluminized reflective reverse"

It is listed as 1lb(but Amazon lists product weight as 10.2 oz). That inlcudes stuff sack, guy lines, and steel stakes. Im sure the total weight would drop dramatically with non-steel stakes.

Dimensions are listed at 108"x96"x41"

I have one on order, but was wondering if anyone has tried it out? For $40 it seems like a solid deal.

I will update this thread with pictures, weights, and better dimensions when it arrives.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg diy
    Looks like a nice tarp at a good price the ridge might be a little short tho

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    108" is 9 feet so, yah, I think it might be a bit short for most hammocks.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    9 feet is a bit short for a hammock tarp.

If you're looking for a budget tarp, check out the Chinook either 12 x 9.6 or Chinook 12 x 14.

You can usually snag the 12 x 9.6 for under $50 bucks and it is a great 3 season tarp that is extremely affordable. The 12 x 14 is a great budget winter tarp that is usually still pretty affordable under $75.

I recommend adding webbing tieouts just hand or machine sewn at all grommet locations as they can rip out but for $50-$75, having to sew 4 webbing tieouts is a small price to pay for an extremely affordable tarp.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    100% UGQ
    Suspension
    Web'g
    Interesting concept. I agree with the others that the ridgeline would be too short for most hammocks. I think it would work great for weather protection in a survival situation.

I suppose it would be worthwhile to mention I have an ENO Singlenest, and by my measurements it should be long enough for that. Anyways, I guess it will be here in a week or so, Ill be sure to pitch it and share pictures and details.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If it turns out to be a bit short for the hammock it looks like an interesting cook tarp... ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

well that was fast. surprise in the mail today

Well, first thing I did was throw it on the scale. The good news was it weighs 13.5oz, 2.5oz less than the advertised "1lb"

The bad news was, upon pulling it out of the stuff sack, the stakes and guylines that were supposed to come with it...didnt. So the 13.5oz was for the the tarp and stuff sack alone. Im a little bit upset that I got shorted, but to be honest, I was planning to chuck the steel stakes anyways for aluminum ones, and use my own guy-lines anyway.

It appears to be very well constructed, Im not sure if its nylon or something else...its not ripstop-weave though. Its not the lightest tarp out there, but it seems to be pretty light, in my opinion. Ill put a tape measure on it later to see what its weight/area is, and get real dimensions.

"Aluminized" side is pretty reflective, looks like it might actually work well for reflecting radiant heat.

I got 5 of the 6x8 diamond version of these. They were only $5 each. I was hoping they were rectangular which would be 10 foot on the diagonal. Oh well. I have used them to be a sun shade for my camp chair on hammock chair.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

So now that Ive looked at it closer and measured it, I guess its hex shaped a bit differently than I expected. I expected the longest advertised dimension (108") to be the ridgeline length.

So the two sides opposite each other, each closest to the logo, are 40" long. The other 4 sides are about 60" long.

If you were to pitch the ridgeline along the longest possible dimension(you kind of have to, since there is no center tie-down along the 40" sides), it would be asymmetrical, but the ridgeline length would be about 115"

Heres a quick drawing to help better describe the dimensions

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast