Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Mamajamba with doors or Superfly?

I have the Mamajamba tarp and door kit (doors on both sides). I have found myself always taking both sets of doors on trips for privacy, protection, etc. I love this set up, btw...

But would I do better with a Superfly? It seems as if it would be a slight weight savings for identical coverage. Plus, I wouldn't really lose much money because those particular items (MJ and door kit) seem to go fast in the "For Sale" forum. I still have a few trips planned in the next month, so I wouldn't make the switch until after that - I'd hate to be without a tarp!

Thoughts? Ideas? Has anyone else made this switch?
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Dutch Argon Special
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    IF you ALWAYS take the door kit, then the Superfly is probably what you need. It would save on weight and be quicker to set up since the doors are already attached. And yes the MJ and door kit would go fast in the for sale section.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It can be a tought decision, but I still like the option of leaving some or all of the doors at home. I've been lucky to have clear weather on so many trips and just having the simplicity of the mamajamba is really appreciated. I really hated tying back the doors on the superfly, so that's why I got rid of it.

If you're the kind of person that attracts thunderstorms on every trip, just go with the superfly so you can batten down the hatches quickly!

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images
    I had theMambaJamba and sold it to get a Superfly because I already had a smaller tarp for kinder weather. If you think this will be your one tarp, then a modular system makes sense.

Images
    I've never needed more than 1 set of doors. I don't hang where privacy is required.

With one set of doors closed, in vestibule mode, I can move the hammock deep in the tarp and using my rain jacket over the foot end I have been completely protected and still have a view of the rain storm. Warm and toasty, sipping on a cup of tea, watching the rain come down. Man it just doesn't get any better. YMMV

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I've never needed more than 1 set of doors. I don't hang where privacy is required.

With one set of doors closed, in vestibule mode, I can move the hammock deep in the tarp and using my rain jacket over the foot end I have been completely protected and still have a view of the rain storm. Warm and toasty, sipping on a cup of tea, watching the rain come down. Man it just doesn't get any better. YMMV

Yep... One set of doors is a beautiful thing.. Not to mention cuts some weight as well.. I have two lengths of shock cord, about a foot long with mitten hooks on each end, and use those on my superfly doors when tying back, holds them firmly and quick to do..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post

Privacy isn't required where I hang, but I normally travel with others and I don't want to cause them to see something that can't be unseen. More of a public service thing on my part, I guess.....

I haven't thought of noving the hammock deeper, using one set of doors and still being able to see out. I may try this on my next trip as that does sound nice.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Images
    Vestibule mode gives you a ton of extra protected space vs simple closed doors. Give it a try.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you always take the doors, get a Superfly. It will save you weight.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc, rr, wwm
    Tarp
    HG cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    WL, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've used a superfly for a while and in my opinion doors on both sides is too much. I don't know how large the add-on doors for the MJ are but the superfly doors are not very big and don't really give you a vestibule. More of a constricting end. I recently aquired a HG cuben hex and plan to order a griz-beak for one end. That appears to me to actually give you a real vestibule.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast