Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Atlas

UnderQuilt for 3 season

After doing some research I'm looking to invest in an UnderQuilt rather than a pad. I'm going to be out hanging during the Spring, Summer, Fall seasons and was looking for some advice on some underquilts. I'm crossed up whether I should purchase a 20 degree or a 40 degree, and whether to purchase a full or a 3 quarter. On UGQ's site the 3/4 is $30 less than the full. So the question lies is there that much of a difference between the 3/4 and the full? Should I get the 20 degree just as a precaution? Also will it be too hot in the summer for the 20 degree? Thanks all.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    spend the extra 30 for the full length. it wont be too hot. All you have to do is loosen it a bit.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by msl16028 View Post
    After doing some research I'm looking to invest in an UnderQuilt rather than a pad. I'm going to be out hanging during the Spring, Summer, Fall seasons and was looking for some advice on some underquilts. I'm crossed up whether I should purchase a 20 degree or a 40 degree, and whether to purchase a full or a 3 quarter. On UGQ's site the 3/4 is $30 less than the full. So the question lies is there that much of a difference between the 3/4 and the full? Should I get the 20 degree just as a precaution? Also will it be too hot in the summer for the 20 degree? Thanks all.
    Is "Pa" Pennsylvania? If so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania#Climate
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up

I suggest you go with the full length 20 , i also suggest you take a look at the Lewis underquilt from Underquilts.com, these uqs come with draft collars so if it gets alittle warm you just loosen it up to vent it a bit and if it gets alittle colder then expected then you tighten it up, this way you are good for whatever temps hit you while out there.
    I have a full length Lewis rated for alittle below zero from underquilts.com and i have used it at 14 degress with no problem and at the fall hang i used it at around 38 degress and vented it a bit when i got alittle to warm and that did the trick. Good luck !!

http://www.underquilts.com/

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    100% UGQ
    Suspension
    Web'g
    Those are the same questions that I had with the exception of the 3/4 length. I live in central Indiana, and wanted a three season underquilt good down to 30*, but then thought there could be a good possiblity that I might want to hang in the 20's. So, I chose a 20* UQ/TQ, witch have draft collars as well, by UGQ. I went with a full length because I'm 6'-2" and didn't want to carry a pad for my lower legs. As far as summer temps. go many people will use the same quilt for summer, but ventilate it. I plan on using a light weight, fleece blanket if neccessary. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    To piggyback on Zilla's post, I'll recommend Underquilts.com also - but the Foyle. It's advertised as 3/4, but it's way longer and a bit wider than most other non-full length UQs. I'm 6' 1" and the Foyle I have leaves only my feet exposed.

And, as always, go with a 20*. Great weight for three-season use. You can always loosen the suspension if it warms up a bit, or just leave it packed if it's really hot outside. Better to have to fiddle with the suspension in the heat than shiver in the cold.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    You won't know which Underquilt is best until you try each of them. Yes, an expensive solution, but that's just the way it is. What works for one guy, doesn't for the next. If you can attend a local hang that's your best bet to see different equipment.

The hammock can play a role as well. For instance, the Yeti from Warbonnet is designed for the Blackbird specifically (gathered end), as the Lynx is designed for the Ridgerunner (bridge).

Some quilts are pretty versatile as well. Personally, I have used a Phoenix from Hammock Gear on every hammock I have owned, and it always worked great.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    To piggyback on Zilla's post, I'll recommend Underquilts.com also - but the Foyle. It's advertised as 3/4, but it's way longer and a bit wider than most other non-full length UQs. I'm 6' 1" and the Foyle I have leaves only my feet exposed.

And, as always, go with a 20*. Great weight for three-season use. You can always loosen the suspension if it warms up a bit, or just leave it packed if it's really hot outside. Better to have to fiddle with the suspension in the heat than shiver in the cold.

I never realized the Foyle was that big, i am 6 ft 2 and dont like cold feet, thanks overthinker for the info, as allways on the forum, you can learn something new everyday.. And Yukon is right also, good news is there is a group hang coming up in your state in april , you can find all the info in the trip planning thread. From my experiance most of the members there would be willing to let you check out thier gear and even lay in thier hammocks, great way to check out gear up close and personal
    Last edited by Zilla; 03-04-2014 at 13:09.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    My opinion is that it is much easier (and better) to vent an UQ when warm, then to be cold and have to be supplementing it. My 3-season UQ is the JRB MW3 - has worked well for me.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    Same here. I am very pleased with Underquilts.com! I'm 6'1" and was totally pleased with how much coverage (underage?) the Foyle has for being a 3/4 quilt. While setting it up, I had it at about neck level or higher and it ran out at about mid calf. If you sleep as straight as a board then you'll need to use a pad or something, but if you bend your legs, they're insulated. Plus if you use a TQ with a foot box, the box area should go up to mid-calf level or higher right?

I just finished my Foyle this past weekend. Hopefully, it'll be in use this Friday. Here's the thread on the stuffing and final product.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=89277
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast