DIY Argon 90
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    Pheonix 20 +2oz
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Michigan Fishing License

Did anyone else notice the price of a fishing license for a non resident in Michigan went from $34 to $76 dollars this past year. It's making me rethink some of the trips I have planned in Michigan for this year.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierhammock View Post
    Did anyone else notice the price of a fishing license for a non resident in Michigan went from $34 to $76 dollars this past year. It's making me rethink some of the trips I have planned in Michigan for this year.
    Assuming you fish for a month in Michigan waters, that's an additional $1 per day. When you numerize it, it really doesn't mean all that much. Yet most of us don't bat an eye at spending $5-10 for fast food that won't do much for very long. (Hopefully, no indigestion) I think it is largely perspective.

While I don't like paying additional costs, I also realize there is a cost to providing the fisheries we enjoy. I know the Manistee is stocked with 5-10,000 brown trout every spring. I paid nearly that for other states I have fished in as a Michigan resident. Paid $60 in Missouri 2 years ago, turned out to be $30 per fish for a couple of days on the river, but I know i contributed to the well-being of the fishery.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    Minnesota will take you - our fees also got substantial hikes in 2012, but not nearly as much. Our non-resident individual annual went from $39.50 to $45.00. (Trout validation is $10 extra.)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Price increases are fine as long as the funds are going to the appropriate cause. I'm sure they are. But when you increase a price, you do it at a rate people of (almost) all incomes can absorb. 123.5% increase it a bit much IMO. I paid $34 last year.

And, when you consider the term "non-resident" that means most people will have a substantial drive so this isn't going to be an everyday event for them.

I'm about 45 minutes away and head to the lake in MI almost every weekend in the summer...so I may break down and buy one.

Uuhhh, after I said I wouldn't go on a rant about this topic

I hold 3 licenses usually. 52 bucks for PA, $75 for NY and $33 for NJ resident. I prefer NY. I fish about 3 hours away at most. Plus the occasional 1-2 day in other places.

$800 bucks for a rod. $200 for a reel. $100's for tippet. $1000's on fly tying etc. Am I really going to cheap out on the license?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutstalker View Post
    $800 bucks for a rod. $200 for a reel. $100's for tippet. $1000's on fly tying etc. Am I really going to cheap out on the license?
    LOL you better not! Same with hanging and these expensive down quilts...gotta make them worth while.

But for me with fishing, we're probably only looking at a $60 rod/reel and some cheap spinnerbait.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    LOL you better not! Same with hanging and these expensive down quilts...gotta make them worth while.

But for me with fishing, we're probably only looking at a $60 rod/reel and some cheap spinnerbait.

Its funny. I remember when I first started fishing seriously. I bought $125 rod and reel outfit. I couldn't believe I was paying that kind of scratch. Now I wouldn't even try a fly rod at that price.

Cost is all relative huh?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Don't come to Ontario if you don't like expensive license fees for non-residents...

Of course you're talking to someone who is waiting for her 65th birthday to take up fishing again cause then it will be free...

After 2 years of paying for my Outdoors Card AND the fishing license, I figured I could buy fish at a fish market a whole lot cheaper than paying the fees.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    The increase is probably going to the Department of Homeland Security. Or 'Bama Care.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast