Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

First hang in HH: Ultimate Survivor

Around 3 weeks ago I ordered my HH in digital camo (for stealth camping), after 10 days my hammock arrived but to my dismay I got the wrong one. So I called and informed them of the problem, they said "No problem, sorry for the hassle. Send us the other one back, tell us how much it cost, and we will refund that to your credit card.

Fast forward to today, and my new hammock arrived in the mail. So out i went looking for some trees to hang to. After arriving at the local park, I strong out my hammock, placed the biners on the huggers (above head height), and tied the hammock to the biners. (I have a question about the knot I used that I will post later.)

Every review that I read online warned me about rope stretch so I was expecting it, but I never could have imagined the stretch would be that bad! The bottom of the hammock was at belly-button level, when I sat down, I almost hit the ground! There was about 3" of clearance between me and the grass. I had to roll over onto my front and crawl backwards out of the hammock! I could not stop laughing. So I got out, moved the huggers up higher (now ~7.5' off the ground), and tried sitting. Big improvement. The trees were about 17' apart.

Lessons learnt:
    1) Tie the huggers as high as I can reach.
    2) The tie-outs are necessary (it felt rather claustrophobic with the netting/hammock loosely piled around my head.)
    3) Snake skins are very awesome.

Questions:
    When using it in 'chair-mode' should there be a lot of tension on the mesh/netting?

When using it in 'chair-mode' should there be enough free room to lay on top, or should I only lay out inside the hammock?

I used a variation on the hennesy knot on the biners (the biners connect the support ropes to the huggers). It reminded me of the figure-8 lashings that boats use. It was secure, easy to remove, and didn't slip. Can I keep using it, or should I use a more 'official' knot/lashing that has been posted about before?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Around 3 weeks ago I ordered my HH in digital camo (for stealth camping), after 10 days my hammock arrived but to my dismay I got the wrong one. So I called and informed them of the problem, they said "No problem, sorry for the hassle. Send us the other one back, tell us how much it cost, and we will refund that to your credit card.

Fast forward to today, and my new hammock arrived in the mail. So out i went looking for some trees to hang to. After arriving at the local park, I strong out my hammock, placed the biners on the huggers (above head height), and tied the hammock to the biners. (I have a question about the knot I used that I will post later.)

Every review that I read online warned me about rope stretch so I was expecting it, but I never could have imagined the stretch would be that bad! The bottom of the hammock was at belly-button level, when I sat down, I almost hit the ground! There was about 3" of clearance between me and the grass. I had to roll over onto my front and crawl backwards out of the hammock! I could not stop laughing. So I got out, moved the huggers up higher (now ~7.5' off the ground), and tried sitting. Big improvement. The trees were about 17' apart.

Lessons learnt:
    1) Tie the huggers as high as I can reach.
    2) The tie-outs are necessary (it felt rather claustrophobic with the netting/hammock loosely piled around my head.)
    3) Snake skins are very awesome.

Questions:
    When using it in 'chair-mode' should there be a lot of tension on the mesh/netting?

When using it in 'chair-mode' should there be enough free room to lay on top, or should I only lay out inside the hammock?

I used a variation on the hennesy knot on the biners (the biners connect the support ropes to the huggers). It reminded me of the figure-8 lashings that boats use. It was secure, easy to remove, and didn't slip. Can I keep using it, or should I use a more 'official' knot/lashing that has been posted about before?
    17' apart is going to give you a lot more sag than 13'. Try closer trees if available, you probably won't fall as far. And stretch should decrease with time.

Sometimes when in chair mode I just go ahead and lay down. It is OK for a short rest, but a lot less roomy.

If the knot is working, keep using it.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Questions:
    I believe it's normal that it streches alot, but i wouldn't worry, though i confess It took for me alot of guts to trust that thin mesh... but that no-see-um is tough. I use the 'chair-mode' all the time on my 1+ old expedition asym and use the stretched netting as back support. I use the chairmode with my GF on that hammock (she weights 44 Kg, Im arround 50Kg) when lounging at the park, and we both lean back and use the netting and ridgeline as back support when sittin... no problems yet... though the ridgeline is kindof uncomfortable.

Questions:
    If you think about it, the 'chair-mode' uses half the fabric of the hammock's bed. Im a small guy, and I find enough room to lay out there and lounge, thought not as comfortably as when inside the hammock.

So don't be affraid to use the chair-lounger-mode really as a chair or lounger without worries. I mean, take advantage of the netting, which supported by the ridgeline i think is thougher than it looks. But i guess it also depends on you body size and weight.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The farther apart the trees are the higher you need to hang the huggers. If you go completly counter intuitive and hang the suspensions lines at about a 35* angle off horizontal you will not drop as far. The ridgeline nneds to be simply taut not tight. If possible shorten the distance between the supports to about 13-15 feet and hang with a far amount of stack in the system. Not only does it not drop as far upon entering but the nasty "knee ridge" is lessened considerably.

The HH website gives some very instructive videos on the use of the hammock as a chair and a lounger. I would encourage you to check them out and follow their suggestions. I have only begun to explore the use of the hammock as a chair but have had very good experiences when do as the HH website vids suggest.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Assuming you used the standard Hennessy wrap and it was your first attempt, about half your "stretch" was not strectch but rather the lashing tightening up under load... With practice you will learn the lashing and make it considerably tighter ... alternatively, lash, sit , unlash, relash with the slack adjusted, sit test... be happy.... this whole practice is easily done in three minutes with a little practice.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts