Suggestions for short hike and hang near Buffalo

Hi Guys,

I am looking for advice on a short hike and hang near buffalo. I am from Canada so do not know the area very well. I am looking to hike less that 8 miles each day as I will have my 7 year old daughter with me and she can only do about 16 km and that is close to 8 miles.

We would like to be able to hike in camp and hike out the next day. A loop would be preferred. So far I have been looking at Allegany New York or Alleghany PA. I would love your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, 15* TQ
    Suspension
    Web w/drip rings
    Images
    Not sure about around Buffalo specifically, we used to live about 45 minutes south-east of Buffalo south of Darien and near the Beaver Meadow Nature Preserve.

Letchworth Park might be worth checking out, would be about an hour's drive past Buffalo but has the Gorge and plenty of other trails.
    <Insert something witty and awe-inspiring>

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Buffalo proper does not have very much good backcountry hiking, as it is flat and is well-developed. That being said, here's where I would start in your selection: http://www.cnyhiking.com/index.html. I hike with our Boy Scouts and do some backcountry camping as well, and here are my thoughts for some hiking in the WNY area:

1. The Conservation trail connects Alleghany State Park in PA to Darien, NY and then goes west to the Bryce Trail in Ontario. The North-South section of this is good hiking, with dedicated Lean-to's or Bivouac sites and legal right-of-way for hiking. I'd recommend either the northern end if you're hiking with a 7-year-old, as it has fewer hills, or else the area near little rock city, as it's so cool with the giant boulders, etc...
    2. Alleghany State Park in NY and the Alleghany National Forest in Northern PA is riddled with good hiking, both thru and loop hikes. Highly recommended.
    3. The Finger Lakes Trail extends from Alleghany State Park to the Catskills and has several very nice spur trails, including the Letchworth Trail. I've hiked the Letchworth trail and if you can get a ride to the other end (by hitching or asking someone you might know in the area) it's a very nice, short thru. Note that the Lean-to at the halfway point needs to be reserved, but you can camp off-trail pretty much anywhere.

If you're doing a straight-thru, there is a list that you can obtain from the Conservation Trail Committee of drivers who volunteer to transport people from their vehicles to their start point, which is really AWESOME!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I was considering the Alleghany National Forest PA for a couple days next week. I haven't been there but the Tracy Ridge trail system seems to meet your needs.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/alleg...=6138&actid=51

Should only be about 3 h travel for you depending on the wait at the border.

Thank you everyone this info is perfect. I am going to read all the info provided and plan my trip accordingly. I really appreciate the community hear.

Hi Keg,

If you do go in the new few weeks please let me know what you think

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    I was considering the Alleghany National Forest PA for a couple days next week. I haven't been there but the Tracy Ridge trail system seems to meet your needs.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/alleg...=6138&actid=51

Should only be about 3 h travel for you depending on the wait at the border.

I want to give a big thank you to captaincoupal as I did not know there was a trail that connected the Bruce trail to Alleghany State Park in PA and I have never heard of Letchworth Trail. I am now thinking of planning additional trips to try all of the trails.

Cheers

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you find somebody down there to shuttle that's preferable. I live about an hour north of the Letchworth trail and like dropping down there occasionally. If you are stuck drop me a PM and I might do a run. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    There are a pair of trails a little over an hour south of Buffalo in Chautauqua County that are nice for overnight in-and-out hikes: The Eastside Overland Trail and Westside Overland Trail. The state forest areas are quite nice and you aren't going to be too far away from civilization.

This shows the relative locations of the Trails:
    http://www.planningchautauqua.com/pd...trails_map.pdf

And there are links to some trail maps here:
    http://www.planningchautauqua.com/?q.../active-living

Traveling a little further south into Pennsylvania's Allegheny National Forest will give you more of a wilderness experience. The Tracy Ridge Trail has already been mentioned as a good option. Another for consideration would be the the Minister Creek Trail Loop.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5107546.pdf

Happy Hanging !!

• + New Posts