Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tie down straps

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Tie down straps

I have a couple of tie down straps that I was thinking of using for my hammock. They have the spring loaded buckles (not the ratchet kind) and I was thinking about using those to connect my hammock. My idea would be to cut a section off leaving the buckle attached with about 2 feet of strap. Then I was going to take the remaining strap, sew a loop in one end so it could be looped around a tree. The loose end would be strapped into the buckle. I think the weight rating is around 400 lbs.

My plan is to try it out with a nice low hang for a while and see if it holds.

Has anyone used these before?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Are you saying that the buckle would be on your hammock? If thats what you're talking about definitely back it up with a safety knot.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Are you saying that the buckle would be on your hammock? If thats what you're talking about definitely back it up with a safety knot.
    +1 on a half hitch
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

buckle

Yes, I would have the buckle attached to the hammock with a piece of the webbing and then the rest would go around the tree and then through the buckle to hang the hammock. I would definitely add a half hitch to make sure it doesn't slip. On my other hammock I use descender rings but I thought I might try this. Waste not want not. This hammock will be mostly for day trips, just to have someplace to relax off the trail for a bit.

Anyway, if the buckle doesn't hold up, I will probably just add some rings and call it good.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    several of the guys, i ride with, use tie down straps, as their main suspension component

after watching them, there are a few concerns, IMHO, that you might ponder

many tie down straps are made of NYLON, which stretches(not the best solution)

the buckles can/will rub holes in your hammock & fly(really not good)

the workings of that type of buckle, in cold, wet weather, can be a less than happy experience

i feel there are quite a few systems, that can be found on the forum, that would suit you better, be less hazardous and do less damage to your kit

you might give it more thought

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by kg8jk View Post
    I think the weight rating is around 400 lbs.
    Not to be unkind, but if you "THINK" what the rating is, that's a recipe for injury! Rules of thumb vary from 10-to-1 to 5-to-1 ratios. Your strap might be good for holding 40 to 80 lbs, in other words.

Also, I'll bet you that the tag on them says something like "NOT for hanging, climbing, or use where human injury might occur." That means exactly what it says. It was not made with high quality ingredients and components, and it has not had the quality control inspections that real gear has.

Quality straps are sold CHEAP ("inexpensive" if you prefer) on here from multiple vendors, cheap considering a single fall could cost you far more than the cents you'd save by using gear not designed for this use and that expressly warns against using it for this purpose.

The thing you said right was "nice low hang," so long as that's always the case, not to mention hanging over very soft ground with no rocks nor roots.

My cheap two cents.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    My thoughts on the matter are, your hanging from a hammock 12" off the ground, not saving someones life off a cliff side. I think your strap idea would work just fine, like people said it is going to have some stretch in it, but honestly that doesnt matter at all. Those straps will stretch maybe an inch, not 12 and you said your just gonna be using it as a place to chill while on the trail not overnight where the real stretching is going to happen.

If you are wondering about the weight and if the straps would break then get some new straps if your worried about it, if your not just go out and give it a good test, set your hammock up the way your envision, make sure your not hanging over any rocks, stick, or anything that you would rather not sit on and then get into the hammock, bounce around a bit, do some swinging, lay there, enjoy it. After take a look at the straps and see if it made any visible marks or wear on the straps. I honestly think you'll be fine. But then again this is coming from a guy who works with chainsaws, band saws, circular saws, reciprocating saws and another half dozen dangerous tools in all kinds of dangerous places. So I guess falling 12" on my but isn't my biggest concern. :P

Hammock
    HH Expedition/Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    LeighLo 66'' 30*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I use a set of poly tie down straps that are (were) cam buckles. I bought the strongest ones I could find and took the cam buckles off, cut the heavy metal hook off of the end and left the loop it was in intact. Back when I had my eno double I would just tie a marlin spike and clip the biner in where the toggle would go. Now im using dutch buckles and whoopies. Ive never had any problems with either setup. Fwiw I tip the scales at about 160

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    I think you are probably best off getting suspension from one of our cottage vendors. I ordered a pair of cinch buckles (with amsteel loop) and a pair of 15' straps for about $22 + shipping and handling. I wish I had done that years ago. I've been living with harbor freight lashing straps and a ring buckle attached by a continuous loop to the hammock. I have no doubts that this will be strong enough for me.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

tie downs suspension

Quote Originally Posted by kg8jk View Post
    I have a couple of tie down straps that I was thinking of using for my hammock.

Has anyone used these before?
    1" with cam buckles are more popular than most will admit. Polypropylene may be the least stretch but nylon is fine. I have used so much crazy stuff over the decades I would be embarrassed to admit most of it. Braid plastic trash bags, tree vines, palm leaves or bark just put me in a remote place and tell me there is no way to hang. Like on a slow moving boat up a small tributary of the Amazon. You go for it man! Multi use suspension systems all the way!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast