EGL Canoe Hang - Spring 2014 - Algonquin
It was snowing this morning. Children are still bundled in hats and scarves and the sidewalks are still slippery. Old Man Winter still has a firm hold on southern Ontario, but not for long. Not for long. A look at the calendar shows a simple truth: we're only two months away from ice-out in Algonquin, and that means canoeing season!
This year's planning questions:
1. When: Dates will depend heavily on when the ice goes out. Given the past winter, it's probably wise to plan for a mid-May launch. I'm going to propose:
- May 8th to May 11th (Warning: 11th is Mother's day)
- May 15th to May 18th (Victoria Day Long Weekend)
- May 29th to June 1st
2. Where: Algonquin? Temagami? Killarney? Further afield? Algonquin's nice because it's central to most, but it's certainly not our only option. Ideas?
3. How: In the past we've basecamping for many of our canoe hangs, setting up camp in one spot for the entire trip. I'd be interested in whether there's interest in doing a multi-day loop, perhaps up through Burnt Island to Big Trout. I haven't been to Lake Lavaille and would love to see it one day, but the price is a long 5km portage.
4. Menu: As usual, I'd like to try to mix in some fishing and a big group stew. BYOF? Group stews? Group breakfasts? Lets hear some suggestions.
This is my favorite hang of the year and I hope to see a lot of familar faces and maybe even some new ones.