Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro-Fly
    Suspension
    Random assortment

Other suspension brainstorming

This is for fun discussion.

I had some ideas, that may or not be the most economical in terms of setup time, or whatever. But they could be really cool. So don't get on my case about how light whoopie hooks are. I understand. I'm just having some fun here with an idea.

One thing i want to try to do, for fun, and maybe a weight reduction (maybe). is to make a zero metal suspension setup. Use only knots (which i know is not breaking any new ground either).

So, I am new to hammocking, but I have some rock climbing background, knots and suspension are familiar to me in different ways.

Idea 1:

Instead of using any kind of carabiner or clip or buckle. why not use a standard climbers figure 8 knot in my webbing to attach to my hammock's end loop right to my tree strap? That seems natural to me as that is how i attached my harness to a top rope. I have trusted my life to that knot in the past. It is fast to tie, easy to adjust and when done right it hods strong, but still unties easily after being loaded. Webbing is used in this way to attach top ropes to trees so I know the knot is sound when tied in webbing. albeit not as easy adjustment as a cinch buckle or whoopie sling.

Idea 2:
    My second idea is a little more ambitious. it would be a single line suspension. but use friction knots instead of rings. so tie the single line and attach to the hammock using friction knots where you normally would have rings. in theory you could move and adjust the hammock along the ridge line by sliding the knots the same way you would with the rings, but they stay put when your weight is pulling down. My concern here is that to save weight you would want to make it out of amsteel blue, but amsteel is way more slippery than nylon, so I'm not sure if friction knots would hold as well. I will have to experiment.

The prussik Friction Hitch to be exact: http://static-dev-climbing.s3.amazon...-Hitch-475.jpg

If it works it would adjust on the fly in seconds!

So just some fun ideas. Any other ideas for a completely metal free setup that is still adjustable and versatile?
    Last edited by bennylt; 03-06-2014 at 11:57.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by bennylt View Post
    ...My concern here is that to save weight you would want to make it out of amsteel blue, but amsteel is way more slippery than nylon, so I'm not sure if friction knots would hold as well. I will have to experiment.

The prussik Friction Hitch to be exact: ...
    A prusik hitch will work on amsteel but it may require an extra wrap or two.

I want to point out that as far as to what extent knots derate a rope's strength, you can throw your climbing rope knowledge out the window. Knots in amsteel blue derate the strength to a considerably higher degree than in ropes not constructed of high modulus fibers. In general, splicing is prefered.

Here's a chart from this paper comparing some common knots in both types of rope...

Amsteel Blue Retained Breaking Strength.jpg

A search for SLS (single line suspension) will bring up discussions on how others have accomplished this.

Have fun and stay safe with your experimenting......and pics or it didn't happen.

Hammock
    HH Expl DLX, various DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I'll be shooting a video tomorrow of my Single Line Suspension system. It involves no hardware and uses UCR's and Soft Shackles. I've even solved the rope against the tree problem.
    Fill what's empty, empty what's full, scratch where it itches.
    Gal. 2:20

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by moshe View Post
    I'll be shooting a video tomorrow of my Single Line Suspension system. It involves no hardware and uses UCR's and Soft Shackles. I've even solved the rope against the tree problem.
    I am waiting waiting bated breath. Which is also bad breath of you all my wife.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro-Fly
    Suspension
    Random assortment
    Awesome! I can't wait to see it

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro-Fly
    Suspension
    Random assortment
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    A prusik hitch will work on amsteel but it may require an extra wrap or two.

I want to point out that as far as to what extent knots derate a rope's strength, you can throw your climbing rope knowledge out the window. Knots in amsteel blue derate the strength to a considerably higher degree than in ropes not constructed of high modulus fibers. In general, splicing is prefered.

Here's a chart from this paper comparing some common knots in both types of rope...

Amsteel Blue Retained Breaking Strength.jpg

A search for SLS (single line suspension) will bring up discussions on how others have accomplished this.

Have fun and stay safe with your experimenting......and pics or it didn't happen.
    Very interesting indeed!

I wasn't concerned with the figure 8 knot in the amsteel line though. it is in the webbing. That was my knot to simply make a loop in the strap at the proper length. The strap loop would be joined with my amsteel end loop on my hammock.

when climbing and using the friction hitch, we used 5-7mm static line. I could use the same thing here as my attachment, and the amsteel as the ridge line. I do recall that using dyneema in climbing was a big no-no for this application because if you began to slide, it could melt before it caught. not a problem in hammocking. if it is... you are doing it wrong!

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    I just posted this https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=89510.

No hardware. No extra parts.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I'll tune in tomorrow.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Interesting idea I'll be following this thread.

I have used your idea 2 on both static line climbing rope and vectran (similar to amsteel) and while they did work it was very fiddly and awkward to adjust. Couple that with the fact that my 20m of vectran is 450g and the wire gate 'biners are 56g I ditched the idea. Having said that I'm sure there are many ways in which to tie so maybe the fiddlyness can be avoided, its also handy to know how to do should you loose or break some hardware.

The figure eight is a great idea though !

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I am having troubles mentally picturing the end loop of a whoopie sling?through? a figure 8 knot and it still being adjustable without the amsteel being pinched from the figure 8 knot. a picture works with me because if you couldn't follow my sentence, you know how I am confused without the pic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast