Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post

When you get to about age 30 or 40 or whatever, you will regret the ground.
    This.

Deerfight, It may seem like a long way off now, but in my early 40's, I'm still using gear I purchased in highschool and college. For the last decade or so I've been less enthusiastic about going camping, especially backpacking, simply because I can no longer get a good night's sleep on the ground. In my 20's I could lie on a bare rock slab with nothing but a T-shirt under my head and sleep like a baby. I'm just starting to get in to hanging and wish I had started years ago so I'd have it dialed in by now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerfight View Post
    Since you live around here, one of the other problems I have is the low number of trees up in the Rubies. Do you just plan your trips carefully? How do you solve for it?
    That is one of the 1st things I wondered about when I saw where you lived: is difficulty finding trees adding to the hassle? And even in some western spots that normally have lots of trees, all these years of drought have led to so many dead tree/widow makers that can be an even greater problem.

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    A few of the trees close to Cold Lakes have died and further limited the hanging locations. There was no hammock there last summer.
    That's sad about no hammock. I remember we got up there and were greeted with an already set rope hammock... Also, the tree situation gets much worse up there, it may be a tarping spot instead
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

ಠ_ಠ-When I see a good hang

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That is one of the 1st things I wondered about when I saw where you lived: is difficulty finding trees adding to the hassle? And even in some western spots that normally have lots of trees, all these years of drought have led to so many dead tree/widow makers that can be an even greater problem.
    I actually don't have any problems finding trees... And where I go, there is no evidence of the current drought except on the valley floors
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    A question as to lighten and simplify my load. What do you guys suggest about selling my Greylock 4 and replacing it with a lighter weight 3 season uq?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    A question as to lighten and simplify my load. What do you guys suggest about selling my Greylock 4 and replacing it with a lighter weight 3 season uq?
    It depends on what temperatures you decide to camp in most of the time. If they're at or above ~20* F, then go with the Greylock 3. If they're below ~20*, then the Greylock 4 will be a better bet.

That being said, I can't see switching from one temp rating of an underquilt to another temp rating on the same underquilt design simplifying your load. Lightening it, yes. Simplifying it, no.

What is it that isn't simple about hammocks that's giving you trouble? That, right there, will help us to identify and (hopefully) help solve your problems. Is it a lack of trees (I doubt it, given your statement about not having problems finding trees a couple posts back)? Is it the fiddle factor associated with getting a 3/4 length underquilt dialed in? Is it the use of a pad under your feet? Is it the difficulty of using a sleeping bag in an hammock? Is it not having a good lie when you've hung your hammock? Is it troubles with hanging your tarp?

There are many places where "not simple" could be applied to an hammock system, but the same could be said for tents. It's just a matter of figuring out what's going wrong, and then making some corrections for the problem.

Please don't take this as antagonistic: I'm just trying to narrow down your issues aside from weight, the better to help you with them.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yes I would.

A full length or 3/4, 20 degree UQ is plenty for most, unless really pushing those temp limits. Paired with a JRB 40 degree TQ, I've easily been into the teens, with dedicated base layers, hat, socks, and little more. I'm probably not intentionally camping any colder, although not afraid if I do. I'm still a long way from sleeping in everything I carry at the above temps.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    I had a little trouble dialing in my set up. then i get new gear then i have to learn all over again. Is it a pain? sure a bit but that keeps me resourceful. With my jrb mt wash 4, i had some trouble keeping warm, set up on the jrb is different than other quilts. list your gear and maybe we can find some solutions for ya. is it a weight issue? cold issue? comfort issue? do you need to try a different hammock? length? width? double layer vs single? how tal are you what do you weigh?

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    Deerfight, you are half way to being able to sell your stuff. Keep posting, give a list of all your kit, for instance, and if you decide it is not for you then you have a great audience of gear hungry enthusiasts with money burning a hole in their pocket

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I started my thru with an UQ.
    I sent it home within 2 weeks and got a Z lite pad.
    I used that all the way up until about VT where I switched to a Neo Air lite
    pad because the trees and granite slabs were giving me a second bashing with the Z lite strapped to my pack.
    The Z pad was the best bang for the buck.
    The Neo Air gave me an option if I needed to sleep in a shelter due to Nor'Easter conditions.

I still have my UQ. Just used it here and there.
    My base pack weight hovered around 18-20 pounds without food and water.
    With food and water, about 25-26, depending on the amount of days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast