Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm a fellow noob who got my first hammock in late January and have spent multiple nights in the woods with my lowest being 19 degrees very comfortably. I have yet to get an underquilt, because the first thing I tried was pads I had from my ground set up, and I found my system to be plenty warm, and very comfortable. I could imagine pads being annoying in a single layer hammock, but in my double layer they stay put and I find them very comfy.

I'm sure an underquilt is more comfortable as the many more experienced members here say, but considering my pad system feels like absolute heaven and more comfortable than my very expensive bed at home, I'm not rushing to change.

My point being, is there is very little fiddle factor with the pads (assuming double layer hammock anyway), and it may be worth trying before you go back. Even though I wont, I would just assume sell my tents and never look back. After experiencing the comfort of sleeping in it and the incredibly vast array of available camp sites that were out of the question when sleeping on the ground, I would personally do whatever it takes to make hanging work. If you don't feel that strong inclination like I do, then maybe it simply isn't for you.

Either way best of luck, and if it is in fact for you, the great members here will surely help you figure it out.

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    So deerfight, are you a camper or a hiker? I.e. Do you go for Max miles on a day, or shorter trips and then chill out around camp?

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Whoa! Fourteen posts and you're just now reaching out?

State your issues so we can intervene (and that'll get you up to 50 posts so you can sell your gear here!)
    HAHAHA thanks. Would you suggest selling and/or trading my Greylock 4 for a lighter weight uq, as I probably won't be going in the winter in a hammock, but more likely a tent
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

ಠ_ಠ-When I see a good hang

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JP_dog View Post
    So deerfight, are you a camper or a hiker? I.e. Do you go for Max miles on a day, or shorter trips and then chill out around camp?
    It all depends on where I am going... Typically I shoot for 7 miles a day, with about two hours of daylight left. Thats at 7 to 10 thousand feet by the way.
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

ಠ_ಠ-When I see a good hang

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I hear what you're saying about all the component parts. I myself have been contemplating some minor suspension modifications such that I can leave my top & bottom quilts and my bugnet attached. It would all get stuffed into one giant stuff sack or a Lazy Slug (look that up on the forums; you might like it).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Sorry to hear you are giving up. Being old I don't have that option of going back to the ground. The only way I can enjoy backpacking is having a comfortable night sleep.

Please PM me and I will help you anyway I can. Hammocks are terrific and once you learn how to set them up they are much less of a hassle than a tent. I will be glad to show you some of the gear that works for me and help you with yours.

Keith

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerfight View Post
    I am in that Spring Creek Sadly, I will only be getting my Drivers Liscense this summer.
    DeerFight
    Early June secure license join us Utah hang Flaming Gorge need answers bring your tent and your hammock. Drive 80 to Salt Lake then continue east for 4 days of fun. Fishing, kayaking, hiking biking and yes camping (hammock) leave with a wealth of information.

KSC come join us.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    used blue tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1"Web Bckle Amstel
    as a new hanger myself I am sad to hear of your decision. Since I have not been able to go hammock camping yet I will not try to talk you out of it or give you advice on it.

For myself I switched because I was feeling very disconnected from the wild that I love to be in once I step inside that a tent. no more feeling the wind on my face and looking up at the stars. Hammock camping allows me to enjoy everything I love about the outdoors throughout the night and it looks pretty fliippin comfortable as well.

I'm still gathering gear and I cant wait for my own hammock voyage to happen this spring. I know I will not be going back.

Good luck and I say give it another shot there are alot of good people here that can offer great advice.
    "There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection"
    "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "I have never found time spent amongst nature to be a waste of time"
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Adventure may hurt, but monotony will kill you"
    "I yearn for a place untouched by man" <-- Best describes me

I used a simple ENO and sleeping bag for ten years before I even found this site. I didn't even know about a diagonal lay. I feel in love with hanging because of the simplicity. Now I have a DH DangerBird and a Leighlo UQ and a sleeping bag. Still basically simple. I read about all these different mods people make, knotty mod, mini spreader bars and such. I agree starts to seem too complicated. I've tried various things, but still appreciate the simpler things.

I suggest stick with warm weather hanging until you truly get the love of it. Only then try the more difficult aspects.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I bought my first hammock and made my UQ for my thru hike in 2012 - all off the HF.
    And I never tested it out once, other than in my apt.
    True story.
    SURELY ("don't call me Shirley") I am much older than you
    and I found my way in less than 5 days of using the hammock.
    In fact, I found the hammock sock to be a PIA.
    By night 2, I had my HHUltra light and my MacCat Deluxe fine tuned.

When you get to about age 30 or 40 or whatever, you will regret the ground.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast