DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Glad to hear that your hang was a success! Even if you don't use hammocks all the time, it will be another arrow in your quiver, letting you get outside and enjoy nature. After all, that's the ultimate goal.
    And, when you get as old as some of the rest of us, you will be ready to switch full time to hammocks, without the learning curve.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Oh yes, when I get older I am sure that the hammock will be much more attractive than the ground
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

ಠ_ಠ-When I see a good hang

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerfight View Post
    Yeah, we actually have way more trees than you would think! The hang went well. I woke up about midnight with the wind and had to readjust the uq, but after that I was perfectly comfortable for the rest of the night. Success!!
    Great! I'm glad that things worked out for you. As with anything else, practice will help make things easier to use down the road. I highly recommend testing any new piece of gear under conditions where you can bail if needs be, and your front yard is always a good choice for that.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    "Success" is a wonderful word to hear and see in type. I'm glad you found what works for you. Remember to try different things to see what you like and what you don't. You may find something easier that feels better.

With that view in your picture, you may want to build a hammock stand on your rooftop
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    "Success" is a wonderful word to hear and see in type. I'm glad you found what works for you. Remember to try different things to see what you like and what you don't. You may find something easier that feels better.

With that view in your picture, you may want to build a hammock stand on your rooftop

I should build that hammock stand! I really do want to hammock full-time out in the woods, but I gotta get this under quilt off my hands and get a lighter one. Success is sweet and I'm starting to figure things out
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ40, HG Inc20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I love being outdoors and am a newbie to hanging (just purchased an HHS explorer UL and am itching to get it out in the backyard to try it out!). Thank you everyone for your helpful comments and information to Deerfight's questions and to mine as well!!! You have answered a lot of my questions before I even thought of them or had the opportunity to experience any frustration. I know there will be a learning curve but I feel like I just got a headstart!

what kind and how much for the UQ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerfight View Post
    I should build that hammock stand! I really do want to hammock full-time out in the woods, but I gotta get this under quilt off my hands and get a lighter one. Success is sweet and I'm starting to figure things out
    DF, I'm sure it can get pretty dang cold in those Nevada mountains. What is the lowest temp you are likely to hang in? Unless summer only, probably more than a few below 20F?

How many oz will you save by going from zero GL4 to a 20-25F GL3? Probably, about 4 0z, which gets you about 25*F more warmth. A lot of folks seem to feel that if their UQ is warm enough, they can get by with a lighter bag or TQ than they otherwise could. I know that if I am out in the 40s or certainly 50s/60s and protected from the wind, I am often amazed to find that I am quite comfy with no TQ, as long as I have plenty of warmth underneath, using what would keep my back warm at 30F or below.

So, you already have spent the money the GL4. If you ever hang below 20F, you are going to need to add something to the GL3. Once you sell your GL4 for less than you paid for it, and pay for a new GL3 plus shipping, and then maybe have to add stuff on those nights below 20F, is all that worth it to save 4 oz? ( but also, it would save a little room in your pack if that is important) Especially if it might be possible to make up for the extra 4 oz and bulk of the GL4 by using something a little lighter on top?

Of course if you can find a good used GL3 and maybe even trade for it, or you were wanting to get some active dry or something, that would be a good excuse.

Not that I would actually try and talk some one out of getting new gear, that would be pretty hypocritical of me!

Deerflight,
    To us southerners 35 is COLD! You may want to consider closing that tarp down to the ground to block the wind. Think hammock hanging in a tent. If you end up swapping out your UQ for something with a higher temp rating, this will help on those unexpected cold nights.

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Well, thank you guys for the great help and info And the reason I would be getting rid of this under quilt is to possibly go back to the ground. The more I get out into the mountains I'm always in, the more I realize I'm extremely limited in hanging spots. So, believe it or not, I'm probably going back onto the ground. And to me, shorts weather is 35!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast