Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Interesting post. When I got into using tarps it was to simplify my set-up and lighten my load. I thought using a hammock would be a natural extension of that adn my first night I got the best outdoor sleep of my life. Then I found I had to learn about UQs and TQs and CRLs, and SRLs, and Top Covers, and Socks, Vapor barriers, and bugnets, and a different types of suspensions, the best way to carry it all, set it up, etc... The idea of simplification seemed to go right out the window. I'm still fiddling with my set-up and this forum has been very helpful. In fact, the need to develop and share these techniques is this forum's whole purpose. But it can be disconcerting when all you want to do is sleep in the woods.
    I had the same route with fishing kayaks, and after some elaborate rigs with electronics, and anchor trolleys, etc, I have largely gone back to the most basic set-ups possible.
    Based on your age, and where you hike, I'm guessing that a year from now you'll end up back with your ground kit and a lightweight single layer hammock in your bag for use when it's most expedient or convenient. Nothing wrong with that. Give it a shot. Learn all you can. Use what you want. HYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerfight View Post
    Well, thank you guys for the great help and info And the reason I would be getting rid of this under quilt is to possibly go back to the ground. The more I get out into the mountains I'm always in, the more I realize I'm extremely limited in hanging spots. So, believe it or not, I'm probably going back onto the ground. And to me, shorts weather is 35!!!!
    what kind and how much for the UQ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678