Thread: Done With It

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    I went through the same phase. I am so glad that I didn't give up.

Might I recommend if you are considering a return to ground that you go the bivy/tarp route. This way when you come back to your hammock (by order of your chiropractor) will have a great tarp knowledge. I can't for the life of me see how you can set up a tent in the rain without getting gear wet.
    Currently,I do use a tarp + bivy when there are no trees. Pretty awesome
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

ಠ_ಠ-When I see a good hang

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Question on the subject of structural ridgelines. How are they rigged? Hoping to try one tonight
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

Hammock
    DIY DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilHex
    Insulation
    OWL UQ & Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    7/64th Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerfight View Post
    Question on the subject of structural ridgelines. How are they rigged? Hoping to try one tonight
    At its simplest, take the length of your hammock from suspension, make a cord that is 83% of that length to tie to each end of the suspension. No matter how tight you string your hammock the sag will never change, but dont hang it tight like a guitar string.

See here http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JP_dog View Post
    At its simplest, take the length of your hammock from suspension, make a cord that is 83% of that length to tie to each end of the suspension. No matter how tight you string your hammock the sag will never change, but dont hang it tight like a guitar string.

See here http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    And that just cleared everything up. Very helpful. Thank you

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Currently,I do use a tarp + bivy when there are no trees. Pretty awesome
    Since your have experience in this, you may be happy to learn, if you don't already, that your tarp, hammock, bugnet can be used as a tarp+bivy.

SRL for a hammock are adjustable or non adjustable ridge lines. An adjustable RL is like a mini whoopie sling. On either type, put the end eye over your hammock suspension and slide down to where the suspension meets the hammock. Same on the other side/whoopie sling side. The difference is one is a set distance and the other can be lengthened or shortened to find your desired length.

This will keep the hammock body always hanging the same on most suspension angles. The suspension away from the hammock body is a "suggested" 30* to keep all the forces involved at a controlable limit.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Awesome. Again a lot of info that really helped me

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Mother of god... Most helpful piece of info I have ever read. Thank you so much for putting the time and effort into this. I've always been confused on ridge lines as well as bug nets, and this really helped explain everything. Again, thank you so much!!! And I'm glad by starting this it's helping
    Not a problem. There've been numerous folks who have put their information out there to help me. The least I can do is try to pay it forward.

If you have any further specific questions about anything I was talking about, or if you want specific examples of the sorts of things I was talking about, I can help there, too.

It looks like your questions about ridgelines have been fairly well covered (that JustJeff link is gold for simple-to-understand visual aids and description), so I hope your testing goes well!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welp, I'm giving it a go. Got it all set and I'm gonna sleep out. Shouldn't be too bad as it's 35 degrees outside.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Deerfight,

I read your OP the first time, and thought you were throwing a YAGE. On another forum I like, this abbreviation was developed because members would occasionally post a message which was Yet Another Grandiose Exit.

After re-reading your first post, I realized that I was wrong. It is heart-warming to see all the helpful posts which have resulted from your request.

How did your backyard hang work? Those look like actual trees. I am not sure I saw any trees at all when I visited NV.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Yeah, we actually have way more trees than you would think! The hang went well. I woke up about midnight with the wind and had to readjust the uq, but after that I was perfectly comfortable for the rest of the night. Success!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast