Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???

looking for something like a Peapod

I've been looking around the forums, but couldn't find what I was looking for using the search tools.

I recently discovered the Peapod, and I think that is a really cool design, but I doubt I would be able to afford it for quite some time. I was wondering if anyone makes something similar in synthetic rather than down, or if I would be better off modifying a sleeping bag to make it function like a peapod?

Have you guys seen anything for sale that is like a Peapod, but different and not as expensive?

If a sleeping bag is the best makeshift option (with modifications), what size range works best for this use?
    Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    You're not going to find the PeaPod anywhere else, it's an exclusive Speer Hammocks product. The closest you'll get is to either make one DIY or to somehow or another adapt a sleeping bag for used as a PeaPod.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    I've read more than one place where someone used a square-foot bag with double zippers as a pod. Unzip the bottom zipper enough to let your suspension through, then zip the bag up around you. Wouldn't work with a net, but you don't need a net if it's cold enough for that kind of setup.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The Peapod is a totally unique system. You won't find anything else like it out there. It is possible to modify a sleeping bag to perform like a PP. Check out Just Jeff's Keeping Warm section for more info and pictures of people using sleeping bags.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

A sleeping bag will work if you get one in the right dimensions. It will not be fit as well as a peapod but I have been able to use one with decent success. I found an old coffin shapped long bag and I run the suspension through the bottom of the bag and zip it up and around me in cold weather. The hood has a draw string that I tighten up to seal it against the hammock. Over Christmas I took this setup out in 10 F degree weather with another light bag inside and stayed very warm. I would only use a setup like this for winter/Car camping. If backpacking in the cold I would take a couple of pads and a good sleeping bag for inside the hammock.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    So, what would the right dimensions be for a project like this? Do you think a bag like this would be large enough to fit over the hammock and allow me some room to move around?
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...P#crumbWrapper

It's a 90 by 40 inch mummy bag that I think might do the trick. I'm looking for a little validation though before I spend any money. The plan would be to open up the bottom of the bag some for the foot end to go through, and then attach loops to the hood and attach that to the rig like it was an underquilt.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    I put my crappy sleeping bag up on my hammock with the saport ropes going though the bottom of the zipper (it is a double zipper) but that left a bid about of the sleeping bag at the foot end hanging down under the hammock unused and i wasn't able to pull it up as high on me as i wanted. To fix this i opened the zipper more so that it would stop lower on the hammock and i turned the whole bag around so the extra fabric was on top of the hammock I put my feet in this part of the bag and had the beginning of the zipper almost half way up my shins and it worked great. and if it was could i could put on another sleeping bag inside the whole thing.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    I would try doing it with my old rectangle bag, but it's really heavy and I wouldn't want to use it. It's the one I used when I was in Boy scouts, about 12 years ago, and it weighs around 8 lbs. I don't have anything else I can use that I already own.

• + New Posts