DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

gathered end hammock with rope ends (clew) and exploration

This project had two purposes:

1. make a new porch hammock using the naval rope ends.
    2. prototype for seeing how short I can make a hammock that feels like a 11' foot hammock with mini-spreader bars. This particular hammock is 9'' something. I like the mini-bars, all my diy hammocks will either be mini-bars or rope ends from now on, but they don't pack down as well. The next plan is to get some ripstop and repurpose these nettles for it.

The rope ends really do help open up the hammock and there was absolutely no calf pressure. (I will be replacing this rope with a larger diameter cotton rope that fits the aesthetics of this hammock better.)

IMG_0844 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

The hammock body:
    the end channels have 3 inch button holes, folded in half, along the edge of the channel. Running through the channel is a 1/8th piece of amsteel. The nettles run around the amsteel making the hammock body removable for cleaning.

IMG_0842 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

Unique feature of the 1/8th amsteel rope:
    I designed the rope to have end attachment points for the nettles. It is the same length (53'') as the width of the hammock. Each end has an adjustable locked brummel that locks onto a rope and knot that is spliced into the rope further down the rope from the brummel. The picture below shows the loop closed (top) and the loop open (bottom). These ends lock the hammock body to the nettles. The true naval hammock uses very large and heavy rope for the nettles to attach to and has no need to lock the nettles to the rope. Here is a link to a great tutorial for how to make a naval hammock: http://theultimatehang.com/2013/01/w...clew-tutorial/

IMG_0829 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

The Clew:
    I used a product called, "The Handy Hundred," and its rated at a 100 pounds and comes in spools of a 100 feet. Its the size of zing-it but only costs 2 dollars at a great military surplus (Andy and Bax) store here in Portland, Oregon. While it holds a lower amount of weight than some would feel safe with, I don't expect it to fail since there is 13 nettles on each side, making a total of 26 strands for each side holding my weight. I'm fairly sure this rope will be adequate. Time will tell.

IMG_0843 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

IMG_0840 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

IMG_0841 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

As you can see each side of the nettle has two shorter nettles, but after laying it the hammock I don't think they are necessary. Next time I will leave all the nettles the same length. The length of the nettles was determined by diving the hammock body width in half. In this case, they are 26 inches, with the two side nettles begin 24' and 25'.

Exploration:

Not only do I want to make a very comfortable short hammock, but I also want to play around with how the nettles can change how the hammock hangs. In a previous post ( https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=88356 ) I shared a picture of an offset clew with the hope that it would work like a footbox. Since the "Handy Hundred" is inexpensive I can easily try new things without breaking the bank. I won't be doing this any time soon, my next project is the perfect pair of underwear, but will post once I do.

I encourage everyone to try making a naval hammock. The clews are easy to make, don't tangle easily, provide amazing comfort, and look classy to boot!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Dang that looks really good! Nice work. WV has some crazy hybrid hammock with lots of strings on the ends like that except that they are whoopies, where each whoopie starts at the hammock goes threw the clew and back to the hammock. So that every two attach points on the hammock is one whoopie, it that makes sense. I tell you this because this may be an easy way to try different adjustments. Anyway keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Redoleary- Thanks! I am very impressed with the hammocks by WV and I am impressed that he will dedicate himself to making so many whoopies. I'm not sure the Handy Hundred is a hollow braid rope, but if it is I'll give it a try. One thing I like about the naval clew is that the way you weave the ends through the various nettles really helps them not to become tangled easily. If I made whoopee slings I would have to figure out how to keep them getting tangled.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika bohlmann View Post
    . If I made whoopee slings I would have to figure out how to keep them getting tangled.
    Believe it or not the solution to minimize entanglement is to put fabric under them . WV has sewn some panels under the whoopies that he uses as a sort of shelf but they attenuate the tangling as well.
    So unfortunately the solution is the very thing you're trying to get away from.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Believe it or not the solution to minimize entanglement is to put fabric under them...So unfortunately the solution is the very thing you're trying to get away from.
    When I was on the porcelain thinking throne tonight I did consider that very option, but between the nettles. It wouldn't double as a pocket, but at least it would ease the mind that cords wouldn't tangle. I am also toying around with the idea of weaving a few strands of cord in various spots to help the cords from going to far from home and getting mixed up with the wrong crowed.

I also decided to create, what I am affectionately referring to as "stubbies," smaller clews. From the ring to the hammock body there will be 10 inches. The head end will have the ring centered. The foot end will have the ring offset over the 2nd button hole from the side, so 7 inches from the side. In this set up each nettle will be a different length, thankfully google sketch-up helped me get the exact measurements. I have no idea how it will turn out, but I won't know until I try!

I am 5'10'' and want to make 7' hammock and, if they work, use the stubbies with it. That would be a 8' 8'' hammock. Small could be the new camo!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I can't wait to see what you come up with.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Good work, I don't get the clew thing for people concerned with tangles, I used lashit dogbones on a project. Simply remove biner or other widget or method connecting the loops and untangle if necessary.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Here are some additional photos of the hammock in action and a few closer detail shots.

Picture0309142240_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

Head end with me in the hammock:

Picture0309142239_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

Close up of how the nettles are attached and of the button holes:

Picture0309142241_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

Here is the locked brummel loop in action:

Picture0309142242_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

For those who are worried about tangling of lines I suspect that if one piece of no-see-um netting is placed between the top and bottom lines for each nettle, that runs the span of the hammock body or at least the width of the clew when under tension, would stop tangling from happening. I think more people should be exploring how clews can be improved and can make our hammocks better.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Another innovative idea, rediscovered from a long time a ago.

I also will be watching to see the progress of this
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    I'm going to be updating my exploration with clews on my other post, "Making Clews, their jigs, and making a camping hammock." I have updated it with a failed attempt at a differential length clew and insights I gathered from it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast