DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Thanks, everybody! I just enjoy messing around with stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
    ... .What are the advantages of the placement of the spreader bar?
    Bridge hammocks, with their bodies and suspension triangles, tend to be longer than GE hammocks.

They can also be 'tippy', and there has to be at least a ratio of 1:1 of spreader bar length to suspension triangle. (Ber, GrizzlyAdams and TeeDee are the masters; search for their threads.) By moving the spreader bar into the body of the hammock, you can integrate the suspension triangle as part of the body. This will reduce the distance you need between the trees. (Hope that makes sense!)
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by sodakgrrl View Post
    Bridge hammocks, with their bodies and suspension triangles, tend to be longer than GE hammocks.

They can also be 'tippy', and there has to be at least a ratio of 1:1 of spreader bar length to suspension triangle. (Ber, GrizzlyAdams and TeeDee are the masters; search for their threads.) By moving the spreader bar into the body of the hammock, you can integrate the suspension triangle as part of the body. This will reduce the distance you need between the trees. (Hope that makes sense!)
    That makes sense, I was assuming it was a comfort thing. I knew GrizzlyAdams was a bridge expert. I'll check some of those threads out when I finish what's on my plate now. I need to study the functions on the search engine here. I tend to have a hard time finding threads, even ones that I've viewed, and remember the title of. I think, I know this thread exists, why can't I find it? It's probably something I'm doing wrong in my search, but I think other people have trouble too because of how many duplicate threads pop up.

Anyway, great work, you obviously have a lot more experience than I do.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    Really talented people make me angry! Incredible job.

Where do you leave the keys? I may try and steal the Winney from the driveway!
    be mad at sodakgrrl not me, she's the one with the talent ......the doors are always unlocked on it if you want to joyride!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Really nice, Boot! Great job!
    thank you, all sodakgrrl

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Dang boot, that sodakgrrl's got skills. Great job you two.
    thanks, i just told her what i was looking for and presto

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Very Nice Winne. Bet it's easy to park too:>)
    So it looks like a tarp improvement is next on your list too.
    the bmj will work in perfect weather conditions but if it gets bad at all i'm in trouble with it, pry upgrade to something larger pretty soon

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Great job, sodakgrrl, good looking hammock there.

OK Boots, now it's your turn. Time for a larger tarp. You'll need 30 yards x 68" of silnylon. Should about cover the length needed for a 13' RL tarp with doors to keep that wind-blown rain out. And wide enough to allow room on the sides for a small party under the tarp with a disco light suspended to your RL.
    she got skillz!

sweet, hope that is large enough to cover the bar area and dance floor also

Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    What an awesome hammock! Does the netting stay completely off of your body when you lie in the hammock?

Ha, and I giggled out loud at the dog holding a deer leg. He's like "I know you are going to take this away from me, but I am going to enjoy it fully until that moment". haha.
    there is a tab with with a mitten hook in the center of the netting about 2' from the head end with some light shockcord that runs to the suspension triangle and pulls the netting up and completely out of the way.......we let murphy carry it as far as he wanted, we were still about 3 miles from the car, he pry only carried it a half mile or so before he need to reduce his pack weight

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy247 View Post
    Beautiful job! I am sooo jealous of all you folks handy work.
    it's might comfy! i do some diy stuff too but she is the bridge expert, once you get a sewing machine and practice a little it's not too hard and very rewarding

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Very nice, just finished my diy bh as well, 100 inches lond with 42 in spreader bars and a 8 in extention on each end, with the triangles and all,, my problem is i need an 18 ft long tarp, your gonna need a bigger tarp too i guess, nice work sodagirl , very nice,, i really like the way you guys did the foot end, lots of spare room, awesome!
    nice work......and once we get bigger tarps we can build bigger bridges and so on and so on......

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    That makes sense, I was assuming it was a comfort thing. I knew GrizzlyAdams was a bridge expert. I'll check some of those threads out when I finish what's on my plate now. I need to study the functions on the search engine here. I tend to have a hard time finding threads, even ones that I've viewed, and remember the title of. I think, I know this thread exists, why can't I find it? It's probably something I'm doing wrong in my search, but I think other people have trouble too because of how many duplicate threads pop up.

i like to do google searches just for hammock forums.....if you type this

site:hammockforums.net bridge hammock construction

in the google search bar then google will only search hammock forums, seems to really help me when looking for threads on one specific thing....and thanks, all you need to do is get a sewing machine and start practicing

boot
    Last edited by Boothill; 03-09-2014 at 09:23.
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    ....And wide enough to allow room on the sides for a small party under the tarp with a disco light suspended to your RL.
    I like your thinking!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Thanks, I'm just not afraid to rip it apart and start over. And I do A LOT of that!

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    i like to do google searches just for hammock forums.....if you type this

site:hammockforums.net bridge hammock construction

in the google search bar then google will only search hammock forums, seems to really help me when looking for threads on one specific thing....and thanks, all you need to do is get a sewing machine and start practicing

boot
    Maybe you should start a thread about how to find things on the forums. It would probably cut down on the number of really similar threads. I'll try that. Thanks. Lately, any thread I think I might possibly want to go back to, I've been subscribing to.
    Quote Originally Posted by sodakgrrl View Post
    Thanks, I'm just not afraid to rip it apart and start over. And I do A LOT of that!
    Me too. I've been working with really thin fabric lately though so ripping a bunch of seams out is hard on it.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Very impressive. I like the decreased distance between trees. Love my bridge, but it's hang is not as forgiving as my gathered end.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Great work! What's the minimum distance betwixt trees?
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    ... I need to study the functions on the search engine here. I tend to have a hard time finding threads, even ones that I've viewed, and remember the title of. ...
    @ CountryRoads, you might find it easier to use Google to search hammockforums using "site:" for example " spreader bars site:hammockforums.net " would search the forum for spreader bars.

NM I just saw your follow-up post

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast