WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle/Strap

New BBXLC UQ question

Just had my 1st night out in the woods with my new XLC and really enjoyed my hang. The shelf came in so handy and the strap/buclkle set up made hanging the hammock supper quick ( I added dutch clips to the mix . I have a 3/4 Uq from WL with a shock cord suspension the UQ can ride along. It stayed warm at the foot and head end but had a case of cold butt each night. Is there a special way to hang a UQ with the BBXLC? Seemed like the shelf could have been creating a draft area-but not sure. Do clips help or a modified suspension? Any thoughts or ideas would be great! Over all could not be happier with the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Benton Wahl View Post
    Just had my 1st night out in the woods with my new XLC and really enjoyed my hang. The shelf came in so handy and the strap/buclkle set up made hanging the hammock supper quick ( I added dutch clips to the mix . I have a 3/4 Uq from WL with a shock cord suspension the UQ can ride along. It stayed warm at the foot and head end but had a case of cold butt each night. Is there a special way to hang a UQ with the BBXLC? Seemed like the shelf could have been creating a draft area-but not sure. Do clips help or a modified suspension? Any thoughts or ideas would be great! Over all could not be happier with the hammock.
    I have the same hammock and looking at various quilts for summer camping that will fit the WBBB XLC
    You mention you have the WL 3/4 UQ. Is that the Summer Series UQ ?

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I do not have the wl uq, but I have found with the shorter quilts espcially they either have to be hung a little tighter, so that it seems to raise the hammock when empty, or given more slack so that when it hangs empty its barely touching. the problem the best i can figure is how much tension the shock cord is providing. and while the ends may seal it kinda sags in the middle, not alot but just enough to help with the air robbing your quilt of the heat it needs to reflect back to you...try both ways, wont take too long and best of luck!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle/Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
    I have the same hammock and looking at various quilts for summer camping that will fit the WBBB XLC
    You mention you have the WL 3/4 UQ. Is that the Summer Series UQ ?
    I have the regular UQ not the summer. I did get the summer TQ and really like it so far.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle/Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    I do not have the wl uq, but I have found with the shorter quilts espcially they either have to be hung a little tighter, so that it seems to raise the hammock when empty, or given more slack so that when it hangs empty its barely touching. the problem the best i can figure is how much tension the shock cord is providing. and while the ends may seal it kinda sags in the middle, not alot but just enough to help with the air robbing your quilt of the heat it needs to reflect back to you...try both ways, wont take too long and best of luck!
    Thanks Mountainhanger- I felt like the quilt was sagging just a touch and tried tightening the shock cord holding the quilt a bit. It also seemed to get worse the colder it got. I also had enough gear in the shelf that I felt like it was pressing down on the quilt on that side. Hard to tell when your in the hammock. I'll keep messing with it.

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had the same problem last night. I need someone to check everything out while I'm laying in the hammock. Hard to tell exactly where and why that air is getting in. Love my XlC also though. I had to lengthen my shockcord a little on one end and that helped some. Good luck
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

The one problem (there is not much to complain about BBs) is the shelf does keep the quilt from pulling up evenly,and the width of your quilt affects it also.The small dutch hooks that you put on the cords really help.You have to get your quilt up tight and the hooks keep it from slipping side to side.Once I installed those I have had very few problems.I had the footbox cause a major
    leak with the temps in the low teens,but that was my screwup and I failed to
    notice what the problem was until the next morning.The learning curve is steep,but you will be rewarded with toasty nights when you fine tune your installation. My latest hang in a BB was 10degrees in 15inches of snow over rocks.It would have been a really tough place to set a tent up. I have HG 3/4 quilts (20 and 40d )that I layer below 20degrees. Keep at it.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Plus I forgot to mention make sure your suspension rides over the footbox and if you have a lot of weight /stuff in the shelf put the tie out farther or higher to prevent what used2fly is referring too...good luck let us know the results!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle/Strap
    Thanks every one for the great advise. I'm going to keep working on my set up. Maybe my wife can help me find the cold spot? On a side note-set up today for a quick nap and used a thermarest self-inflating pad. Expected it to be a pain but was really easy and comfortable. Could feel cool breeze on my shoulders but it was a warm day so really a bonus.

• + New Posts