Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NJ hangers! Question about Parvin State Park

So I'm taking the whole fan damily for a 2 night trip. We're in a cabin (wife approved for camping). Family size (5 of us) dictates this is my best option, so it's where we're at.

We plan to bike, roller blade, camp fire cook, board game, fish for sunnies, and generally try to wear out some high energy kids. Any recommendations for something truly unique about this park? I don't know the area as we're from north Jersey.

We will have a 7 year old, 2-3 year olds. Our friends will have a 6 year old and a 3 year old.

If I can I might even throw up a hammock for relaxing.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    this is in no way specific to that state park, but i have a great game that you could play with the 6 and 7 year old as well as the adults as well (although it generally works a bit better with kids 10+). It's really simple, fun and spontaneous .

Its called Camouflage

how to play:

while walking through a forested area someone yells CAMOUFLAGE, closes their eyes and counts down from 20. Everyone else in the group hurries to find a nearby hiding spot. The person who yells then must spot the hiders and call them out by name without moving from his/her position (moving a foot over in any direction is allowed so the spotter can get different sight-lines through the tree's). The hiders must be able to see the spotter spotter at all times. To ensure that hiders are not cheating, the spotter can put a hand up with any amount of fingers and ask "how many fingers" All the hiders must see and say the amount. This gives the spotter a general idea of where people might be hiding, it should not be abused but can be used as many times as necessary as sometimes people are really good at hiding.

The best part of the game is that once people know the rules you can bring it out spontaneously by yelling camouflage, no need to give any warming even if it's been months since the last time you played. Its quite funny being caught off guard, frantically looking for a good hiding place.

Hope some forum members try this game out! I play with all my friends aged 20-30ish and everyone loves it!

Thanks we'll try it!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutstalker View Post
    So I'm taking the whole fan damily for a 2 night trip. We're in a cabin (wife approved for camping). Family size (5 of us) dictates this is my best option, so it's where we're at.

We plan to bike, roller blade, camp fire cook, board game, fish for sunnies, and generally try to wear out some high energy kids. Any recommendations for something truly unique about this park? I don't know the area as we're from north Jersey.

We will have a 7 year old, 2-3 year olds. Our friends will have a 6 year old and a 3 year old.

If I can I might even throw up a hammock for relaxing.
    Wow, consider me surprised. I had no idea that park even existed.

Let us know what you find out - always good to have intel on more of the NJ parks and campgrounds.

Images
    I've camped and kayaked there. Nice place but it is surrounded by private property so you can't hike out of it. It was closed after the deaths from storm 3 years ago. Haven't been there since reopen. It may be different in camping area. Nice blacktop trails for biking and stuff. Fishing is good also.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    I've camped and kayaked there. Nice place but it is surrounded by private property so you can't hike out of it. It was closed after the deaths from storm 3 years ago. Haven't been there since reopen. It may be different in camping area. Nice blacktop trails for biking and stuff. Fishing is good also.
    Deaths? Did some people get caught in the weather or something?

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Oh right, just looked it up. Something similar happened at Bull's Island … thought they were the same thing.

Images
    I tree fell. I can't remember details, but don't want to disrespect anyone by guessing
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Yeah color me ashamed. For years I've been trying to get my wife to go camping. She doesn't do tents. I stumbled across the cabins while doing a search.

All these years, oh well. This is a start!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutstalker View Post
    Yeah color me ashamed. For years I've been trying to get my wife to go camping. She doesn't do tents. I stumbled across the cabins while doing a search.

All these years, oh well. This is a start!
    Also cabins at Brenden Byrne, Bass River, Atsion Lake and Belleplain(favorite of mine)

MAP

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast