Images

Thread Injector. What to look for?

Considering picking up a used injector to make a few projects.

What am I looking for?

I have no clue what direction to head in. PLEASE HELP! lol
    If My Job Was Easy, A Cop Would Be Doing It.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ace8077 View Post
    Considering picking up a used injector to make a few projects.

What am I looking for?

I have no clue what direction to head in. PLEASE HELP! lol
    not sure how much you want to spend, but i found this one. Looks like a good start. http://louisville.craigslist.org/for/4365995588.html

If you are going to do gear you might not need a fancy machine. This may be a good machine but parts may be harder to find then say a singer. I have 2 singers (15-91 and zigzag 476) both took work to get moving but it was fun to do. I was able to find parts. Not sure how much work you want to put into this before you even get to the sewing. I ran out of time after fixing my machine and will need to wait a bit before sewing. But I now have 2 good machines and I know how to work on both.

Images
    Not sure what to look for. Do I get one of those that has the 25 stitch patterns or go with something like you listed above?

Walmart has a 25 stitch pattern for like $90, new.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Not sure what to look for. Do I get one of those that has the 25 stitch patterns or go with something like you listed above?

Walmart has a 25 stitch pattern for like $90, new.
    to make 99% of the gear you will ever need you only need a machine with a couple basic stitches, straight stitch and zig zag, everything else you will hardly ever use

my suggestion would be to stay away from the cheap plastic machines at your big box stores....find someone with some sewing knowledge and knows what to look for and hit the second hand and salvation army type stores and find an older metal machine with metal gears

or if you have a sewing machine shop in your town go look there, most machines for sale there have already been gone through and quite often come with a 30 day guarantee of some sorts, might be a bit more expensive than the salvation army though

most places will let you plug the machine in and check it's functionality, spending $100 on a machine like that will get you something much much better and more reliable than something from the big box store even if it is 50 years old compared to new

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Images
    Thanks!

That's the kinda info I was looking for. Heck, my mom may have an old machine she isn't using anymore.

I agree with what you're saying Boothill for someone with some experience, but this guy has not idea what he's doing. How's he going to plug it in and check its functionality? All kinds of things can be "off" with a machine, and look fine in a simple cotton sewing demo.

I think better advice would be to "take a friend" who knows what they are doing to go look at the machine.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Thanks!

That's the kinda info I was looking for. Heck, my mom may have an old machine she isn't using anymore.
    That's exactly how I ended up with mine. I scoured every thrift shop in a 30 mile radius, couldn't find anything. Then, as often happens, light shines on my marble head and I realized there was one in my mom's basement.

After a rather lengthy thread, and a ton of help from the masters here, I'm now working with a rock solid 1948 Kenmore.

Check mom's attic and basement, treasures lurk there.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You might check my "guidelines" thread in my sig. Others say they have found it helpful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You might check my "guidelines" thread in my sig. Others say they have found it helpful.
    Yes, yes they have (I'm one of 'em)!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Good advice so far. I've accumulated several vintage machines recently and echo the suggestion of getting an older used machines. I just saw a consumer video warning that some new machines don't even have a metal frame.

I just picked up an old machine from a thrift store for $15.00 and with a little tuning up it works great. It makes a beautiful straight stitch and and has an awesome feel. I've also found other machines that only needed one $20.00 part to be fully functional.

Older all metal machines are fairly robust and hard to break beyond repair. Often they have just been neglected and work fine after some cleaning. Since you are new it may take some education such as watching Rev's videos or many other You tube videos but IMO it's worth it to get a solid machine that will last a long time as well as derive the satisfaction of fixing it up yourself.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts