Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    Whoopies,DutchGear

Noob - What am I forgetting?

Hello all,
    After lurking for a long time, I'm finally taking the plunge and getting off the ground. I've been doing a ton of reading and research and I think I've finally decided on a 4 season package that I like. I'm definitely a spend money up front for quality type of person, after learning that lesson the hard way most of my life. So, the following is what I plan on buying in the next few days.

Any comments, suggestions etc would be very much appreciated. Specifically, let me know if I'm forgetting anything, or if there are any small changes that would make my life easier.

Projected List:
    WB Blackbird XLC (I'm 6'4 225)
    WB Superfly
    WB 0 Degree Full length UQ and 0 Degree TQ

I'm usually a once a month camper and here in Mid Missouri our camping temps range from -5 to 105. 90% of our camping is car camping with one or two backpacking trips thrown in.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Is all of your camping going to be cold weather 0* winter camping?

I do some winter camping in the NC mtns and usually never anything below 15* and i stay pretty toasty with my 20* uq/tq combo (you can layer if need be). i get pretty warm when it hits the 50-60* mark so keep that in mind if you buy 0* rated gear.
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    Whoopies,DutchGear
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekin View Post
    Is all of your camping going to be cold weather 0* winter camping?

I do some winter camping in the NC mtns and usually never anything below 15* and i stay pretty toasty with my 20* uq/tq combo (you can layer if need be). i get pretty warm when it hits the 50-60* mark so keep that in mind if you buy 0* rated gear.
    I did figure I would end up with some summer gear to supplement. At this time of year I figured I'd err on the side of being too warm and just vent the UQ or us less covers on top. The problem is Missouri weather. This weekend it was 20 and today it is in the 70's. Our next camp is in about a month and I've camped in snow and 80 degree weather at that time of year.

Is zero degree overkill, or is it better to be safe than sorry (cold butt - no sleep)?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I find the 20 degree range useful three seasons of the year and if I want to supplement with more for colder. I don't think you will experience the versatility of 0 ratings you will with 20. YHOH though.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    Whoopies,DutchGear
    Are you guys saying 20 degree for UQ and TQ? Also when you're supplementing what are you using?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    That is what I am saying. I supplement with a foam pad or even a thermarest if needed for the UQ. I also use a double layer hammock. If it is really cold, you will most likely be carrying more than you would otherwise. TQ I might use a small wool blanket, I also use insultex as an additional UQ when really cold.

Lots depends on how you are using this stuff. If you are hiking deep in the back country at 0 or below temperatures regularly and all you have is your pack, the 0 rating might be important. I just think it is important to target your gear to what it is you will likely experience most, and alter for the exceptions, rather than vice versa.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Lots depends on how you are using this stuff. If you are hiking deep in the back country at 0 or below temperatures regularly and all you have is your pack, the 0 rating might be important. I just think it is important to target your gear to what it is you will likely experience most, and alter for the exceptions, rather than vice versa.
    +1 i use reflectix (can cause condensation issues so do your research) and a few layers of clothing if i'm going below 20* with my setup. My merino wool thermals, down, and a hot water bottle help make me comfortable on a colder than normal night...
    if you can afford a winter kit and a summer kit then you should not have any worries.
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    Whoopies,DutchGear
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekin View Post
    +1 i use reflectix (can cause condensation issues so do your research) and a few layers of clothing if i'm going below 20* with my setup. My merino wool thermals, down, and a hot water bottle help make me comfortable on a colder than normal night...
    if you can afford a winter kit and a summer kit then you should not have any worries.
    Thanks both of you. Lets assume I can afford a winter a summer kit.

Is the best option a 20 degree and 0 degree or would you do 20 and 40 or 40 and 0 etc.

I'd like to get as much multi use out of my gear as I can and am just looking for the smartest option.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    v
    Quote Originally Posted by Goowa View Post
    Thanks both of you. Lets assume I can afford a winter a summer kit.

Is the best option a 20 degree and 0 degree or would you do 20 and 40 or 40 and 0 etc.

I'd like to get as much multi use out of my gear as I can and am just looking for the smartest option.
    I have only a zero degree UQ. I use sleeping bags on the upper side. I have a 15 degree bag and a 40 degree bag. I think it is easy to vent the UQ for moderate temperatures.

This is not the ideal summer rig, as it is too heavy (if backpacking). Too heavy just means that it could be lighter. I am seriously considering getting a lighter UQ, and a TQ.

If you get a summer set, you can always use that to beef up your 20 degree winter gear.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts