WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    I'm 6' tall and weigh 270 lbs and really like my Wilderness Logic Night Owl hammock. I'm very comfy in this well made hammock and Marty at WL is as good as it gets if you have any questions. My first hammock was a 10' ENO and I felt cramped in it so I'd advise an 11 footer for us bigger fella's..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Y'all are speaking my language. I'm 6' and 315#. I have a uq that's 42" wide and have to fiddle with it all night. My go to hammock is one made by "Breyman" last year. It's 11' and I think 64" wide. Super comfy. 7/64 whoopies and I make sure I have plenty of sag...at least 30*.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    Bear, Im 6' and 290ish so Im also purchasing a hammock with great trepidation therefore, I decided on the Warbonnet DL XLC 1.7. His site says that hammock will hold 400lbs therefore I should be good to go.... Hope this helps.
    Good luck man.
    SG

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm 5'7". 265..... my DIY single layer 5oz uncoated Cordura is around 59" wide, only 103" long though, but with MSBs, it feels longer, I am tempted to do the rope clew thing, if I can find cord strong enough locally..... as for UQ, I use a rectangular sleeping bag with channels and loops, and it is big enough when I lay in the hammock diagonally.. only goes down to 50 degrees, but for colder, I use my USGI Intermediate Cold Mummy sleeping bag along with the UQ, and it's toasty warm.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    In glad to see I'm not the only one who's struggled with UQ's not covering fully, or barely.

So... What's the solution? Anyone come up with a good width for larger hangers? Any vendors sell UQ's that fit the bill with their regular sizes?

Hammock
    Still in R&D
    Tarp
    Still in R&D
    Insulation
    just a bug net
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    I am a little north of 300 and my first hammock was an eno sn. I messed withe a sr a little but concluded it was just too small. Looking to make my own but not really sure about fabric. Some on HF have suggested taffeta polyester being good to 400lbs but I can't verify that anywhere else. After 4 back surgeries, the last thing I want to do is hit the ground, but can't stop living either!

Anyone who has made their own, I am interested in the fabric used. Please be very specific as to the fabric you used and size of the overall hammock.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBrookeS View Post
    I am a little north of 300 and my first hammock was an eno sn. I messed withe a sr a little but concluded it was just too small. Looking to make my own but not really sure about fabric. Some on HF have suggested taffeta polyester being good to 400lbs but I can't verify that anywhere else. After 4 back surgeries, the last thing I want to do is hit the ground, but can't stop living either!

Anyone who has made their own, I am interested in the fabric used. Please be very specific as to the fabric you used and size of the overall hammock.

I am 6ft2 350 plus and i have a diy gathered end as well as a diy bridge and both are made from 70 d 1.9 oz ripstop and i am very comfortable in both, i use 3,000 lb straps with strap buckles for my suspention (readystraps.com) if i were to buy a hammock, it would be a double layer xlc from warbonnet, but i do have a treklight thats rated for 400 lbs that also holds me just fine and beleive it or not i have a cheap Yukon outfitters double that i also lay in in the yard that hols me ,, i have never had an issue with it but i dont trust that on as much as the others..
    I am sure that Papa smurf from Dream hammocks would put one together for you that would hold you if you were to go that route as well ,, good luck!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ hanger 11wb
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    I am 5'11" and 335 and I ordered a thunderbird from Dream Hammocks in dual layer 1.9 and 68" wide. I went with full webbing for my suspension. For insulation I went with UGQ who made my zepplin 4" wider for better coverage. Both items are made to the highest quality and I highly recommend them.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'm your size and a Warbonnet Blackbird works very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBrookeS View Post

I think a table cloth hammock might be just the thing for you. I've made a few and they've held me up. My DIY is a 70"X144" made from some Ebay Marpat'ish rip stop, that was the talk around the Fabrics Sub Forum a few years back. I think it would have been better making it 60' wide because the sides are a little floppy, but no shoulder squeeze.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    6'1 301 as of this morning. I started at about 350 with an ENO doublenest with webbing straps and didn't have any issues. Now with the same ENO and whoopies, I've all but jumped in it to see if I could bust it and haven't had any issues. Someone mentioned they're more concerned about the trees than their gear, I'm in that boat. We've put about 550 pounds of people in a test DN we had a while back and bounced all around, as of last spring that hammock was still in use by a good friend of mine. I also made an underquilt to my specifications with a pancho liner and insultex.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast