Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    I just asked about clews in the general hammocking section of the forum. I'm extremely happy with this thread!
    When I have time, I'll buy myself some abrick and make a test model before I start modding my DD hammock.

Question: has anyone experimented yet with this style of attaching nettles to the hammock? I've seen that a lot while I was living in Suriname, but that was thicker rope. I'm planning to use 2 or 2.5mm dyneema rope for nettles, and am afraid they are too thin and will cut into the fabric.

Still getting the hang of it

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

Experiment 9- it works, but still needs further development.

Picture0312141313_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

Results:
    After learning what went wrong with experiment 10 I made a pair of clews with 9inch nettles. It worked, but there seemed to be a very specific "money" spot in which I would have wanted to sleep.

Clew weight:
    Each clew weighed 51 grams and I think that is pretty awesome. The ring I used weighed 34 grams.

What I could do to make it better?
    I think the smaller nettles can work, but now I need to make the nettles longer towards the center, the clew needs to have a catenary curve . I'm not sure how much longer each nettle needs to be than the other, but I don't expect it to be much.

How to handle a clew when attaching it to the hammock body:
    I find hanging the ring from my neck, as I attach each nettle, removes the potential for tangling and frustration.

Picture0312141148_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lijn View Post
    I just asked about clews in the general hammocking section of the forum. I'm extremely happy with this thread!
    When I have time, I'll buy myself some abrick and make a test model before I start modding my DD hammock.

Question: has anyone experimented yet with this style of attaching nettles to the hammock? I've seen that a lot while I was living in Suriname, but that was thicker rope. I'm planning to use 2 or 2.5mm dyneema rope for nettles, and am afraid they are too thin and will cut into the fabric.

That is a sweet way to attach the nettles! If you are worried about the rope of cutting the fabric considering attaching some 1 or 1/2 inch webbing on the inside of the channels.

I look forward to seeing how your hammock turns out!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    The nettles (cords that run from the hammock body to the clew or biner in my case) are made of lashit with brummels on each end aka dogbones. I initially used braided masons line which worked fine but I wanted to use the lashit for it's water resistant properties.

I've also larks headed continuous loops and the fixed eye of a whoopie thru the loops as well. I also learned that the spider web that I created was useless since the nettles or dogbones can be freed and untangled in the event of a tangle but the lashit hasn't ever tangled on me.

The nettles are attached thru existing button holes on the end channel. WV suggested just burning/melting hoes in the hammock body and running a amsteel cord thru the channel and sewing each end and then looping the nettles around the amsteel at the melted openings. Future project for me.

Other end.

Quote Originally Posted by Paprika bohlmann View Post
    I dig it! How did you attach the nettles to the hammock body?
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    That is a sweet way to attach the nettles! If you are worried about the rope of cutting the fabric considering attaching some 1 or 1/2 inch webbing on the inside of the channels.

But of course! Should have thought of that Thanks for putting me on the right track.
    I hope to have some time in 2-3 weeks. Getting the fabric here (Netherlands) will be somewhat of a quest. Will report back!
    Still getting the hang of it

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

or you could sew on loops of 2" webbing across the channel, similar to how the fabric in that picture is looped..... this would provide a good load bearing point to the hammock fabric without compromising fabric strength...it might make it a little heavier though....unless you use seatbelt webbing or something similarly lightweight?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    The nettles (cords that run from the hammock body to the clew or biner in my case) are made of lashit with brummels on each end aka dogbones. I initially used braided masons line which worked fine but I wanted to use the lashit for it's water resistant properties.
    I should buy some lash-it and do this myself, but the Handy Hundred stuff is only two dollars for 100 feet! I'm not always cheap, but when I am I choose a Handy Hundred.
    If I could splice the Handy Hundred I would, but sadly its not a hollow braid rope.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    You could tie loops in the HH. I would guess braided mason line would be near the HH price and it's splicable.

I should buy some lash-it and do this myself, but the Handy Hundred stuff is only two dollars for 100 feet! I'm not always cheap, but when I am I choose a Handy Hundred.
    If I could splice the Handy Hundred I would, but sadly its not a hollow braid rope.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Images
    Good stuff here.

It sort of looks like the sword mat acts like a mini spreader bar. I guess we've been reinventing the wheel with that.

I would like to hear someone critique the difference between laying in a hammock using the sword mat vs. lots of dog bones.

I wonder how small you could go with the nettles. Assuming they're strong enough, at some point I suppose they'd be so small they'd cut the hammock, but maybe not.

What if you un-braided amsteal and used the strands which are smaller than Lash-it?

If the sword mat really does affect the lay like a MSB, it could be potentially replaced with something else.

This will all have to go on the list of things to try.
    The really interesting thing will be to see if the shorter and narrower Navy style hammock with a modernized vs. of the original suspension results in a lighter hammock with no sacrifice in comfort.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Good stuff here.
    -I would like to hear someone critique the difference between laying in a hammock using the sword mat vs. lots of dog bones.
    -I wonder how small you could go with the nettles.
    -If the sword mat really does affect the lay like a MSB, it could be potentially replaced with something else.
    -The really interesting thing will be to see if the shorter and narrower Navy style hammock with a modernized vs. of the original suspension results in a lighter hammock with no sacrifice in comfort.
    Difference:
    -I am not able to comment as I have not made a hammock with the dog bones. It would be interesting for someone would take the same hammock body and compare how a clew and dog bones, of equal length, affects the lay.

Small nettles:
    -When considering making a clew the length of the outside nettles is where to start. They have to be able to allow the hammock body to open up enough for the person laying to have a comfortable laying position. Further, for small clews the nettles can get longer toward the center for more comfort. For a 53'' wide hammock I made 9 inch nettles and it worked, but if I had made them progressively longer towards the center it would have increased comfort and available sweet spots.
    -I suspect with dog bones varying the length of the nettles might not be as important because each strand has more freedom of movement. I think that a set of dog bones on a ring would allow maxim flexibility of the nettles.

The sword mat:
    -If you wanted to replace the sword mat with a mini-bar then it would have to have a bunch of holes for the nettles to run through. One thing that I like about using rope is that it removes the need for a bar. One less bulky thing to pack in a stuff sack.

Comfort:
    I have a 53inch wide hammock and with 26 inch nettles and it is the most comfortable hammock I have. I wouldn't compare it to a bridge, way to different of a hammock, but any other gathered end hammock just can't match it for comfort. Instead of needing to make hammocks longer or wider, the rope ends increase comfort by allowing the fabric to really open up and the occupant to utilize more material.

One thing I have been wondering is how does attaching nettles affect the hammock body? I've attached the nettles to rope running the length of the end channels and in other photos the nettles attached to the hammock body itself. Is that necessary? Is there any significant difference between the two? Is there a difference in how weight is distributed in the hammock body? Will small nettles rip the hammock body if they are attached directly to the hammock?

Good luck on trying this stuff out! let us know what you find out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast