Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing

WB BBXLC- adjustable webbing or whoopies?

In case you haven't already figured it out from the quesiton- I'm a total rookie, just about to buy my first hammock.

Whoopies seem like they'd be easier to adjust as well as being a few ounces lighter; the buckles on the webbing look pretty hard to adjust in addition to being heavier.

So the only downside I can see to the whoopies is that they're $10 more expensive... am I missing something?
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While the whoopies are lighter, there is more of a fiddle factor to use them. The cinch buckle that comes with the BBs is a bit of pain to adjust ( I own 3 BBs and 1 RR and all have the cinch buckle ).

I have found for me that the Whoopies limit the spots I can hang my hammock as the trees need to be further apart where as with the cinch buckles I can hang from trees spaced just a foot longer than the hammock.

There are lots of people who only use whoopies and only whoopies.

Recommend you get cheap hammock and use whoopies on it and compare its setup to
    the cinch buckles and decide on what works for you/
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I'm considering buying that same hammock and having the same questions about the suspension. The only downside I can really think of to whoopies is it adds length to your suspension. you have a fixed eye on the whoopie and an adjustable eye. in between there's a section of fixed length that must be there for the whoopie to hold. That means your trees must be farther apart than if you were just using buckles. the difference in weight is only like 3oz I think. But $10 for whoopies isn't bad at all. I think if you want them, that'd be the way to go unless you'd rather make your own and have options to play with.

on an unrelated note, if you ever want the winter cover, buy it now. apparently because all the hammocks are hand sewn they aren't available after the fact. What sucks is warbonnet's is 2x what hennessy's winter cover costs

Hammock
    MARPAT Freebird/DB72
    Tarp
    UGQ MultiCam WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, whoopie
    The cinch buckles on my BlackBird are very easy to adjust. Plus, IMHO, they are quicker and easier to setup. Toss the strap around the tree, hook the carabineer to the strap, and grab the free end and adjust. Usually takes just a few seconds and the hammock is up.
    Leave me alone, I'm only talking to my dog today.

I may be outnumbered, but never outmanned.

Palmetto State Hangers: We're not crazy, the Groundpounders are!!!!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Cinch buckles and straps, quick and easy.
    Plus you can swap out to whoopies later.
    Making them is half the fun.

Adjusting the cinch buckles is a 2 handed job usually and if the hammock is loaded with gear, you have to grab the gathered end to release any tension. Still I like them because they are near foolproof with the kids. No backup knots needed.

And yeah, the WBBB XLC cover is a few bucks, but totally worth it imho. Let's me sleep a little later when the camp has a bunch of early risers.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I 100% agree with gunner and others above. In a major thunderstorm I want something fast like W.B. buckle, faster even than Dutch B. But if u ever go ultra lite, need extenders or just want to have fun splicing, buy some Samson Amsteel or D.G. "dyneema", and a fid (I use 12" furniture needle or vinyl coated picture frame wire) and get addicted to making ur own Whoopie and locked Brummel loops etc. Always need some extra "dyneema". I try not to be pound foolish and penny wise, however $10 is many pennys. Have fun! Camping is FUN!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I've used buckles, whoopies and UCR's. I'd get it with the buckles. As other have noted, you can easily switch out later.
    Personally, I use UCR's on mine. And it seems to always be a "two handed" operation to adjust for me. Gathered end under arm-pit, two hands to loosen or tighten either whoopies or UCR's. That isn't necessarily true with the buckles.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    As others have mentioned, all work. I have the xlc and got the buckles. Made myself amsteel whoopies and ucrs. Then a dynaglide ucr set. Now I use a tree strap, Dutch clip, and a length of dynsglide I tie off like the Mayans do. Simple, and lighter than even my ucrs. YMMV.

P.S. My wife likes the cinch buckles best since she is allergic to knots. Dead simple.
    Brady

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Thanks for the post, I have a BB with straps and was debating about changing to woopies. I never considered the possible issue with tree distance with the woopies as others have highlighted. I have not had any issues with the straps and will probably stick with them.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks, all!

The whole distance thing hadn't occurred to me, and without having ever even seen a whoopsie sling, I'm Surprised to hear that the adjustable strap is actually easier to use. The 3oz. difference is next-to-nothing. That's what I'm going with... I can always change later and from what I've learned here changing your mind is OK in Hammock-Land.
    Add life to your years!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast