Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock

Sleeping clothes - is more better or worse for warmth?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I searched and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

So I used to wear two pairs of socks to sleep in. one pair of 511 tactical socks and a pair of wool socks. Feet froze. Tried just the wool and was much better. I think that was due to constriction of blood flow.

Does the same apply for regular clothes? I was camping in low-mid 30's and was using a CCF pad an a 30o synthetic bag as a TQ. I slept in skivvies and a long sleeve synthetic shirt, long-john waffle style pants and shirt, plus fleece pants and shirt...3 layers and I was still cold! I was burning up when I first got in bed, temp in the hi-mid 40's, but didn't want to have to move around to put more clothes on in the middle of the night to respect the people sleeping around me that would have heard me rustleing in the hammock. I did use the nalgene bottle trick to keep warm, but that was more moving the bottal from femoral artery to foot box and back through the night to warm different areas of my body for a while.

What was my error here? Did I actually wear too much clothing to bed?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock & Garda
    Did you feel damp when you woke up, or through the night? With that many layers, you may have perspired when you initial got in, only to have the moisture condensate and chill you later. I think if you were constricted, you would have felt your cloths binding and getting uncomfortable.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    +1 to what Cochinchine said. Also, were the pants you were wearing cotton based? I have had success in synthetic, fleece, and wool. Not all materials from the same family group are the same QUALITY, so YMMV. I even saw a pair of "merino wool" socks in a store that had less than 10% wool to them. Same goes for synthetics; some are great, but some are s*** that I find I sweat more in.

On the same note, even with the right types of clothes, the key is balance and breathing. Too warm can become too cold in the wee hours of the night. Recovery is always harder than starting right. By the time you wake up cold, you are in a much harder spot to fix it. As crazy as this sounds, I have had more success with starting warmish, and then dialing it in. I always bring stuff with me to bed and hang it on my ridgeline or have it above me in the hammock. I have had fleece blankets and all sorts of clothing options. For me, adjustment Is KEY. It's easy to add the fleece or hat when your'e just a tad cool, than to wake up hours later with everything on and you are freezing.
    Again, YMMV. Curious what others think
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Oh, and one last thought. I like to have clothes specifically for bed, if I can. I feel that changing out of the sweaty clothes I've been in gives them and me a chance to breathe and dry. I also like to bring a few "wipes" and give myself a hobo shower before tucking in and putting on my bed clothes (especially the feet). It makes me feel clean and sane, and I think it helps with temp control and sweat

Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    I feel like its possible to go to sleep too warm, and have your metabolism drop more than needed. I have no proof for this, beyond my own informal testing. maybe starting with less, but having clothes handy is the way? Another thought is that slightly tight clothes can restrict bloodflow in the skin, making you feel cooler than you really are.
    Its also possible that you just ran out of insulation.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    It is pretty likely you were too hot to begin with, sweat into your clothing, and then it chilled you from there. Layering for both hiking and sleeping can be a very delicate task. I generally subscribe to the less is more to start, and add as needed. Sweat is the enemy in cold weather and we should try to avoid it at all costs when layered up.

It is a bit easier for me because I don't mind the cold in general. Obviously I can't sleep cold, but all things being equal throughout the day, I'd prefer to be chilly than hot. So starting my hike or sleep with just a t shirt and adding as needed is fine, because if I'm a little cold, its much preferred over the alternative.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Another nifty little trick I always do is bring a pack of hand-warmers to bed. If you are cold, activate those suckers and apply on arteries and extremities where needed. Also, they will suck up moisture so they work to combat perspiration as well. On that note, if you have warmers from the day that are pretty much dead, throw them in your boots, gloves, or socks when you go to bed and they will dry them out

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    The only sweat I really noticed was on my back from the ccf pad. I had put a reflectix type sun shade under my ccf pad and put both of those in a fleece bag liner to keep them together, which worked fairly well actually.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed, I searched and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

So I used to wear two pairs of socks to sleep in. one pair of 511 tactical socks and a pair of wool socks. Feet froze. Tried just the wool and was much better. I think that was due to constriction of blood flow.

Does the same apply for regular clothes? I was camping in low-mid 30's and was using a CCF pad an a 30o synthetic bag as a TQ. I slept in skivvies and a long sleeve synthetic shirt, long-john waffle style pants and shirt, plus fleece pants and shirt...3 layers and I was still cold! I was burning up when I first got in bed, temp in the hi-mid 40's, but didn't want to have to move around to put more clothes on in the middle of the night to respect the people sleeping around me that would have heard me rustleing in the hammock. I did use the nalgene bottle trick to keep warm, but that was more moving the bottal from femoral artery to foot box and back through the night to warm different areas of my body for a while.

What was my error here? Did I actually wear too much clothing to bed?
    For the conditions, you were not especially well insulated.

All 30 degree synthetic bags I have used were way optimistic in their ratings. Most assume that the 30 degrees is outside your tent, and that you are on a nice thick sleeping pad or mattress. A sleeping bag is not an ideal TQ. I know, because that is what I use. I often have drafts and have to adjust the darn thing all the time.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    The only sweat I really noticed was on my back from the ccf pad. I had put a reflectix type sun shade under my ccf pad and put both of those in a fleece bag liner to keep them together, which worked fairly well actually.
    This combination, along with a MSS, has worked better for me in the cold than my UQ has. I have to think that I need to adjust the UQ better but that has been my experience so far. I've been into the teens with a pad, reflectix, and the full MSS and been comfortable wearing synthetic base layer and fleece. Base layers I think have a big effect on warmth, as you found out with your socks. Cotton we all know is bad, but I wonder if compression clothing such as UA cold gear causes problems as well.

What were you wearing on your head?? That might be the cause of your troubles right there. At least a hat, better yet a balaclava or full facemask. I try to make sure my neck is covered as much as possible, even using a neck warmer and face mask in colder temps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast