Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.

Lightest weight UQ (warmth to wt ratio)

Hi guys!

Havent been around in forever, but have to get situated for a long hike this summer thru the 100 Mile Wilderness...

I have a HH Desert Rat that I love (and may be tempted into buying a Blackbird)

I had a BB out this weekend in N. GA. I dont think the temps were below 55* but I was very cool without any underquilt of any sorts in a 40* bag.

I have to be warm to sleep comfortably.

Because there will be no resupply from Katadhin Stream Campground til Monson, I need to keep my weight as low as possible for all that food I wil have to carry!

What are some suggestions for a very light weight UQ that would be used either with the HH D. Rat or a BB in conjunction with a Montbell UL SS Hugger 15* bag?
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    For summer temps, a 2/3 quilt is the way to go. Check out the Warbonnet Yeti, or PM Pan about the availability of their 2/3 quilt.

edited to add - Mikeinfhaz is making them now too, I think....
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Totally agree that a torso, or 2/3, length uq is going to be the best way to go. The Yetis (3-season) are only 12 ounces and he's selling them for $175 right now. Crazy good deal! Should get you down to the low 30s with no worries.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    For summer temps, a 2/3 quilt is the way to go. Check out the Warbonnet Yeti, or PM Pan about the availability of their 2/3 quilt.
    What does a "typical" 2/3 under quilt weigh?

I know it will depend on the exact dimensions and the fp of the down used, but maybe there's an "average" weight.

Anybody know?

Also, what are the "average" dimensions of a 2/3 under quilt.

Checked the Warbonnet site and couldn't find anything on the Yeti.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'm not sure there are enough of them yet to define 'average'. But, best guess - 12-15oz, and 36"W x 40"L (general).

I edited my original post to include mikeinfhaz as a possible source for ready-made quilts.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Cuffs, et al,

Think about the issue in its totality a 2/3 Uq at 12-15 oz plus 2-3 oz for the pad and you still have to manage the pad in the hammock is not any lighter, and probably more, than 15 oz total for a summer, read 40*, full UQ and you don't have to mess with any pad in the hammock.... As an additional plus any pad you chose to carry for a general purpose sit pad can be much smaller , say 10x12 vs the Half pad typically needed with 2/3 size UQ. thus the full summer UQ is less total weight.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Think about the issue in its totality a 2/3 Uq at 12-15 oz plus 2-3 oz for the pad and you still have to manage the pad in the hammock is not any lighter, and probably more, than 15 oz total for a summer, read 40*
    I agree that the pad adds weight, and that it should be factored in. But, in summer temps I don't need any pad under my legs with a 2/3 quilt. YMMV.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

edited to add - Mikeinfhaz is making them now too, I think....
    Sadly, they are not available any more, at least for now, but you know what I think is great for summer? The WB torso Climashield with one layer of CS. This weighs about 9 oz, and is plenty warm in the 60s, and might be OK a bit into the 50s, but I have not been able to test it yet at below low 60s. And most of the time, do you even need a pad or quilt under your legs in the summer?

But it is a moot point, as you can't buy one. Another thing I need to check out some time is the SS UC by itself. I think it might get you at least a few degrees, but I have no idea how many, and I don't know how much of a problem condensation would be in fairly warm weather. But, it won't weigh much, about 7 1/2 oz. For that matter, the UC AND pad only weigh 13 oz.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    the pad/weight argument is valid if you only use that pad in the hammock. For those of us backpackers that use a pad for under our legs, under our butts, and as a pack frame, its worth the weight. anything is worth the weight if it serves 2-3x duty.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    this doesn't help Cuffs much, but the last DIY UQ I made has 2" of loft, differential cut, is 48" long, 40" wide at the shoulders and 32" wide at the thighs. Weighs 8.5 oz, of which 4+ oz is down (900 fill). I can get away with smaller quilt dimensions because this is going on a bridge hammock.

Took me to low 40s F easily last month all by itself. With the addition of a 3/8" pad also at my torso and my pack (with rain gear inside) under my legs, I went to 34 F.

I agree with mikeinfhaz...that pad is my sit-upon and what is between my back and everything else in my pack. Triple use.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast