Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I made the torso length because packability was the factor, discounting that I would go full length.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Do you sleep warm or cold? I would only get a partial underquilt if you sleep warm and don't mind the pad under your legs. If you sleep on your sides or move a lot, keeping the pad in place will become more difficult.

If you sleep cold, go with a full-length. If weight and volume are very important, go with the shortest full-length uq you can get away with. I recently got a short HG Incubator (I'm 5'4") and it's amazing how much weight I saved in comparison with my "standard sized" underquilts...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If you're backpacking, you need to ask yourself if you're going to:

A.) be out in temperatures and/or with short enough time frames for camp (read: not much daylight compared to your hiking distances) for the full-length's additional lack of fiddle factor over the partial-length to be a major player in your decision-making process

and

B.) carry a CCF pad for other reasons than to go under your legs (sit pad, "virtual frame" for a frameless pack, fire fanner, bear chew toy, etc.).

If the answer to A.) is "Yes!", then I'd suggest a full-length for you. The extra warmth and ease of set-up of it will be very helpful. If not, then let's go to B.).

If the answer to B.) is "Yes!", but the answer to A.) is "No!" then I'd suggest a partial-length. The extra weight and bulk saved over the full-length will be a big help on long days on trail.

If the answer is "Yes!" to both, then I'd err on the side of the full-length. Even if you wind up not liking it, a reputable cottage vendor's full-length can be sold here for about what a partial-length is going to cost you, anyway. Which means you'll only have a minor "ignorance tax" associated with it.

If the answer is "No!" to both, then I'd also err on the side of the full-length. You're not going to be carrying CCF anyway, so the extra warmth is going to be good for you.

If you're not hiking (or biking or fastpacking or anything with strict weight and volume requirements), disregard the above decision tree......
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Great reply FLRider!

After being totally impressed with the weight savings on my new 40° Burrow vs. sleeping bag, I'm almost tempted to go with a 3/4 length UQ. But after thinking about it more, and not carrying a pad, I think I'll keep my full length UQs.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Great reply FLRider!

After being totally impressed with the weight savings on my new 40° Burrow vs. sleeping bag, I'm almost tempted to go with a 3/4 length UQ. But after thinking about it more, and not carrying a pad, I think I'll keep my full length UQs.
    Not a problem. It's one of the things that I spent some time thinking about before making my own quilts. Money won out in the end, for me, which is why my first down UQ is partial-length (I only had enough material at the time to make a partial-length), but my next DIY pack will use a removable CCF pad as part of its suspension and padding.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    If you're backpacking, you need to ask yourself if you're going to:

A.) be out in temperatures and/or with short enough time frames for camp (read: not much daylight compared to your hiking distances) for the full-length's additional lack of fiddle factor over the partial-length to be a major player in your decision-making process

and

B.) carry a CCF pad for other reasons than to go under your legs (sit pad, "virtual frame" for a frameless pack, fire fanner, bear chew toy, etc.).

If the answer to A.) is "Yes!", then I'd suggest a full-length for you. The extra warmth and ease of set-up of it will be very helpful. If not, then let's go to B.).

If the answer to B.) is "Yes!", but the answer to A.) is "No!" then I'd suggest a partial-length. The extra weight and bulk saved over the full-length will be a big help on long days on trail.

If the answer is "Yes!" to both, then I'd err on the side of the full-length. Even if you wind up not liking it, a reputable cottage vendor's full-length can be sold here for about what a partial-length is going to cost you, anyway. Which means you'll only have a minor "ignorance tax" associated with it.

If the answer is "No!" to both, then I'd also err on the side of the full-length. You're not going to be carrying CCF anyway, so the extra warmth is going to be good for you.

If you're not hiking (or biking or fastpacking or anything with strict weight and volume requirements), disregard the above decision tree......
    You wouldn't believe the "ignorant tax" I paid getting to a suitable tent set up, hoping to pay less on the hammock. What you say makes sense. I do section hikes of 400 miles or so and 3-4 day trip in between when the weather is cool. I'm not a cold sleeper but do like being warm. I do carry a sit pad that could serve as foot insulation. My thinking now is to purchase a full length good to 20* and make a 35* or so synthetic torso length to use on float trips in warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Cermichael View Post
    The answer to this question may depend on how tall you are. HG, unlike most, offers their under quilt in three different lengths. If the short size full length will meet your needs, there is little reason to buy a 3/4 length under quilt.
    6'1"+.....180lbs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12