Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Full length or torso UQ

I'm new to hammocks and trying to decide on a full length or torso length UQ. From the posts I've read on this site I'm guessing probably 75% use the torso length. Any input on which to get would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I prefer 3/4 UQ in Spring, summer, fall, an full length in winter. I don't like to fiddle with a pad for my feet in cold temps, I prefer the downy goodness around all of me when it is cold. This probably doesn't help because it requires two UQ's.
    If I could only have one, I would go full length myself, less fiddle factor and more downy goodness.

It is mainly personal preference though.... We are all different, to each his own.
    "No whining in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I prefer 3/4 UQ in Spring, summer, fall, an full length in winter. I don't like to fiddle with a pad for my feet in cold temps, I prefer the downy goodness around all of me when it is cold. This probably doesn't help because it requires two UQ's.
    If I could only have one, I would go full length myself, less fiddle factor and more downy goodness.

It is mainly personal preference though.... We are all different, to each his own.
    Most of my nights in the woods are in cold weather, what you said is what my current thinking is. Thanks.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    IMO, full length is the way to go, excuse the pun but i would rather not get caught short...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Happy medium?... You might look at 1) ordering the "short" size that many makers offer, or 2) asking for a custom quilt be made to desired length.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I would say that how "warm" you are would also play a big part in it. I have noticed that cold sleepers, people who feel cold at higher temps prefer the full length quilts more often than warm sleepers. I have two quilts that get used one is a jarbidge and the other is a 7/8th length. I think the temp rating on them is about the same but the longer quilt is definetly easier to find the sweet spot with no cold spots. If you get the chance to trysome quilts, like at a group hang that would be ideal. I started off with the longer quilt but now use the jarbidge more often.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    I would say that how "warm" you are would also play a big part in it. I have noticed that cold sleepers, people who feel cold at higher temps prefer the full length quilts more often than warm sleepers. I have two quilts that get used one is a jarbidge and the other is a 7/8th length. I think the temp rating on them is about the same but the longer quilt is definetly easier to find the sweet spot with no cold spots. If you get the chance to trysome quilts, like at a group hang that would be ideal. I started off with the longer quilt but now use the jarbidge more often.
    There's a chance I may be able to make the Sipsey hang the first week of April... I agree...nothing like seeing it first hand.

A quilt is an expensive item. It's purpose is to provide comfort. More quilt, more comfort. Reasons for shorter versions usually include saving weight while packing it. Check the weight difference and see if it is worth compromising comfort in cold weather. For me it isn't, so I go full length, and glad I did every cold night.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    The answer to this question may depend on how tall you are. HG, unlike most, offers their under quilt in three different lengths. If the short size full length will meet your needs, there is little reason to buy a 3/4 length under quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cermichael View Post
    The answer to this question may depend on how tall you are. HG, unlike most, offers their under quilt in three different lengths. If the short size full length will meet your needs, there is little reason to buy a 3/4 length under quilt.
    6'1"+.....180lbs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast