WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ CUSTOM HANGER
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    DUTCH CB/CUSTOM

Extra Long Tree Straps ?

I don't know about most of you hangers but it is looking like I may need to carry 2 40' Lengths of cinch buckle webbing here in Oregon, these are just some trees in my yard.

This 10' python strap barely makes it half way around most of my trees

First picture you can barely see the orange carabiners on each side making it half way around. That is 20' of webbing to just get around the tree.

trees-001 - Copy.jpg
    trees-004 - Copy.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 9ft Custom hammock
    Tarp
    Hex
    I see thinner trees back there, why don't you just hang on these?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ CUSTOM HANGER
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    DUTCH CB/CUSTOM
    Quote Originally Posted by Metavo View Post
    I see thinner trees back there, why don't you just hang on these?
    Most of those have dead tops and are coming down, small alders. Those are the few small ones available.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    One of the benefits of living with old growth timber. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    I use 8' most of the time. I've only needed more once, and I just moved to a different pair of trees.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ mostly
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    You know I was wondering if it was just me thinking my straps were short. I am in Oregon too and have run into some big trees just testing my setup out (no real hanging yet). Gonna have to see what the real world brings when looking for trees.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    One of the tough parts about the NW, the trees can get huge and finding ones that will work can take time and effort. Most of the time a little searching will turn up a pair that are useable distance and size. If you are going to be camping in unfamiliar areas on the west side of the Cascades your will save yourself a lot of head acked packing some long straps and possibly some extensions as well.

The bigest straps we make 9 out of 10 times are going to customers in OR and WA....we have done a few in the 60' range per pair.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    One of the tough parts about the NW, the trees can get huge and finding ones that will work can take time and effort. Most of the time a little searching will turn up a pair that are useable distance and size. If you are going to be camping in unfamiliar areas on the west side of the Cascades your will save yourself a lot of head acked packing some long straps and possibly some extensions as well.

The bigest straps we make 9 out of 10 times are going to customers in OR and WA....we have done a few in the 60' range per pair.
    I now have to wonder... The larger the tree, the wider the straps should be? if the sensitive layer is much bigger, would a narrow strap be the equivalent of a rope on a big big tree ?? Might need to harvest a few more seatbelts from a junkyard.... lol (Am in Oregon as well, have not hammock camped YET.....but testing a lot in parks with smaller trees..)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    I now have to wonder... The larger the tree, the wider the straps should be? if the sensitive layer is much bigger, would a narrow strap be the equivalent of a rope on a big big tree ?? Might need to harvest a few more seatbelts from a junkyard.... lol (Am in Oregon as well, have not hammock camped YET.....but testing a lot in parks with smaller trees..)
    Actually, the weight and stress you could apply to a tree is proportional to its diameter. A large diameter tree will see less pounds per square inch of force for your hang angle and weight.

Say you hang at a 30 degree angle, and weigh 300 lbs. Total force is X. A skinny tree will absorb all that force on half the diameter times the width of your tree straps. A larger diameter tree will have much more circumference on the force half.

It is all about the amount of pounds per square inch of force you are applying to the cambrian layer of the bark. Larger diameter and static weight means less force applied to the larger diameter tree.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Actually, the weight and stress you could apply to a tree is proportional to its diameter. A large diameter tree will see less pounds per square inch of force for your hang angle and weight.
    that make sense.

Say you hang at a 30 degree angle, and weigh 300 lbs. Total force is X. A skinny tree will absorb all that force on half the diameter times the width of your tree straps. A larger diameter tree will have much more circumference on the force half.
    so between 1" strap and 2" strap, 2" strap will have less force acting on the tree, regardless of diameter, yes? (or for a given diameter, less force than 1" strap?)

It is all about the amount of pounds per square inch of force you are applying to the cambrian layer of the bark. Larger diameter and static weight means less force applied to the larger diameter tree.
    Right. Currently I've 1" straps but will be upping to 2" straps for peace of mind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast