Hammock Stand on Apartment Patio

Hey guys, sorry I haven't contributed in a while. I'm hoping y'all will take me back with open arms and share whatever guidance you have.

About a year ago, I built one of the famed turtle dog stands for use on my apartment balcony. Today I came hope to a note on my door saying that I had forbidden items on my patio and they would have to be removed. Apparently, I am limited to "patio furniture." I know that I am new to this hammock thing, but isn't a hammock and patio furniture one in the same?

Just wanted to put some feelers out to see if any of y'all have run into this issue and what your course of action was. I figured I would print off the definition of patio furniture, and use their computers to show them that in every major retailer hammocks and stands were under the patio furniture section. Any other advice?

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I am guessing it is because the turtledog stand is a wood stand, and a home made one, does not meet their apparent criteria of "patio furniture" which is simply chairs, loungers, tables, or metal framed swing chairs.... or this type of hammock stand;

you should look into your Lease's terms and conditions, it may spell it out that you simply are forbidden from having any kind of hammock on the deck, or that you are forbidden from having wood furniture outside....

simplest thing is to bring in the turtledog stand into the living room or something like that.

EDIT: my lease for my complex says "NO PATIO FURNITURE IN COMMON AREAS" (we don't have patios in the sense of the word, but there are stairways and bridge type of structures between upper floor apartments), and also says "NO HAMMOCKS OUTSIDE".....doesnt say anything about hammocks indoors...

keep it inside to stay under the radar, then take it out when you want to use it and bring back in when finished. Chances are that if it isn't sitting there day in and day out, no one will notice.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by joeybravo13 View Post
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't contributed in a while. I'm hoping y'all will take me back with open arms and share whatever guidance you have.

About a year ago, I built one of the famed turtle dog stands for use on my apartment balcony. Today I came hope to a note on my door saying that I had forbidden items on my patio and they would have to be removed. Apparently, I am limited to "patio furniture." I know that I am new to this hammock thing, but isn't a hammock and patio furniture one in the same?

Just wanted to put some feelers out to see if any of y'all have run into this issue and what your course of action was. I figured I would print off the definition of patio furniture, and use their computers to show them that in every major retailer hammocks and stands were under the patio furniture section. Any other advice?
    Just threaten to sue them. Your sleep is undoubtedly being affected, no doubt your love life as well. It's a lifestyle choice.

They need so see their names in the papers.
    Last edited by DavyRay; 03-13-2014 at 19:27. Reason: one more line
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I've seen a lot of apartment patios with eye bolts in them to hang potted plants.

Maybe your eye bolts are a little sturdier and just happen to be oh, say a good 15' apart and maybe the amsteel slips right over the slightly opened eye to you can rest in a piece of fabric to water your plants for an hour or so. Maybe the amsteel and fabric vanish after you are done watering your plants? Maybe??
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

The beauty of the turtle dog is its utility. It can be a hammock stand, pottery hanger, flag pole, bike stand, clothes line....

I was thinking about hanging Ol' Glory from it then going to the media with the promise of the headline "local apartment complex makes disabled vet take down flag" When I talked to them, they said it was a liability thing as much as an appearance thing. I don't think the realize that a fall from a chair would almost be higher than a fall from my hammock. As far as the appearance, Let's just say I don't live in Beverly Hills....

Another thing that gets me is that a cursory search of "patio furniture" at any big box retailer has "hammock" show up in some form on their main navigation pane.

I am hesitant on swinging the discrimination hammer, but I may do so just out of principal.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Keep in mind that when your lease runs out, they don't have to renew it and don't have to have a reason other than "we have decided not to renew your lease". So with that in mind, feel free to poke them in the eye if you like.

Hammock
    Yukon outfitters V2
    Tarp
    Y. O. Walkabout
    Insulation
    pending
    Suspension
    pending
    tell 'em it sounds like they're discriminating against the Irish, like your friend Paddy O'Furniture . . .

seriously, check the exact wording on your lease. is your stand unpainted? maybe painting it to match the outside of the building (less conspicuous) would help . . .

hang in there . . .

• + New Posts