Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

fathers and sons 2-3 day nc experience?

I am thinking about putting a trip together with some of us scouting dads and our sons. My first thoughts were grandfather mountain. I want this to be a memorable experience. We camp and we hike with the scouts. What we dont always do is enjoy it. I wan this to be a distance hike of some caliber. I am not talking 15 miles a day, but a good distance. I thought about a section hike and we stage a car at the begining and the end so we can drive back. Scenery, location and whatever else makes it fun. Maybe a good restaurant at the end to chow down at. I am thinking the fall. It should also be within a few hours of charlotte.

I would be interested in this as well, but had to put up with major complaining from my son on our 6-7 mile day hike at Stone Mountain last year due to my lack of consideration for what he wanted to do on the hike (mainly take it slower and do a lot of crayfishing). I could have made it a lot more fun for him.

Would an out and back or loop be ok? What about Crowders Mountain? I heard about it recently in a thread on here - could probably park at the Boulders access area and take the ridgeline trail (6.2 miles, moderate - http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/c...cs/parkmap.pdf) to the Sparrow springs access and the family/group backpacking site (another mile).

While looking for more information on Crowders Mountain, I found this http://greatoutdoorprovision.com/expert/ridgeline/ - a bit longer potentially, but two states!

There's also Uwharrie...

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    South Mountains State Park also has a number of options.
    Some ridges, some waterfalls, some creeks.

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    Uwaharie national park is cool. 3 trail heads in the northern section called Berkheads. It's easy and the scouts go there a lot. Look it up. I'll be there in March with my group.

Images
    I'd be interested in this. We aren't in scouting, but would hope that wasn't a prerequisite. Tagged for interest.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    I would be interested in this as well, but had to put up with major complaining from my son on our 6-7 mile day hike at Stone Mountain last year due to my lack of consideration for what he wanted to do on the hike (mainly take it slower and do a lot of crayfishing). I could have made it a lot more fun for him.

Would an out and back or loop be ok? What about Crowders Mountain? I heard about it recently in a thread on here - could probably park at the Boulders access area and take the ridgeline trail (6.2 miles, moderate - http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/c...cs/parkmap.pdf) to the Sparrow springs access and the family/group backpacking site (another mile).

While looking for more information on Crowders Mountain, I found this http://greatoutdoorprovision.com/expert/ridgeline/ - a bit longer potentially, but two states!

There's also Uwharrie...
    I want this to be a slow and steady, take our time kind of thing. If we can chugging along and nobody complains then more time spend in camp.
    Its been years since I have been to crowders and it may be fine but I am looking for a total experience. Our troop has gone to crowders, maybe only a day hike.

I love the Uwharries, but I also go all the time. It also lacks big things. like mountains or waterfalls.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    South Mountains State Park also has a number of options.
    Some ridges, some waterfalls, some creeks.
    I will check this out. Have you hiked in the gorge or grandfather mountain?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by _jstevens2010_ View Post
    Uwaharie national park is cool. 3 trail heads in the northern section called Berkheads. It's easy and the scouts go there a lot. Look it up. I'll be there in March with my group.
    I am the one who runs the hang, and thats part of the problem me and my son go there 2 times a year. I was thinking bigger, newer experience.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    I'd be interested in this. We aren't in scouting, but would hope that wasn't a prerequisite. Tagged for interest.

Not at all. The more the merrier. The conversation started with me and some scout dads, but when we pick a date and place I fully intend on posting it here to throw out the invite. The scout guys are almost all tent campers. I need more hangers to help show them the way.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I will check this out. Have you hiked in the gorge or grandfather mountain?
    I've done a bit of backpacking at Linville Gorge. The folks over at LinvilleGorge.Net would be better suited to recommend a multi-day route.
    I previously did an overnighter on the east rim to Shortoff Mountain- there were scouts where we camped.

I haven't backpacked at Grandfather but it is on the list.
    I have hiked there.
    Every time I think about going the weather never co-operates - high winds, rain, etc. It's an exposed route, and from what I gather pretty strenuous.

Further away, you could consider Grayson Highlands, great views & who doesn't like ponies.

Or over by the Smoky's - the Big Creek / Mt. Sterling loop. The hike into campsite 37 could be done in the dark if necessary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast