Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Is there some way to reduce the space after the posts? Really bugs me!
    +1
    I hope this can be addressed a.s.a.p.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    +1
    Can someone post a screen shot? I'm not seeing this.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Wow, what a frightening "site" to log in today after being sick for a bit. I was shocked and disappointed. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan. The search is terrible. It's going to take time to learn things again and figure things out. Perhaps it'll be a bit more smooth, but right now, I just don't have the time to fumble around another new thing on the web. It's frustrating to keep up with. I understand the old site wasn't as secure anymore, but there has to be choices of a similar forum platfrom that we were using.

I guess it's just me, but for now, I don't like it.....but, as many of you know, I'm one of those that doesn't like change, especially such a big one.
    We understand change isn't always easy but it's necessary to keep the site secure and maintainable. We are using the same platform (VBulletin). The changes you see are the differences between version 3.8.7 and 4.2.2. It's a big jump, that's how out of date our forum software really was. I don't like every new feature or change in 4.2.2 but there were quite a few things about 3.8.7 that were really bad. The only difference is we were just used to dealing with those "features".

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    DivaB - All my tips have been updated - go to the first post in thread (BTW - this is a sticky under Forum\General Hammock Talk).

The Advanced Search still has an option to search by a persons name, and display them as posts. It just requires an extra click. Whatever you search on should be highlighted.

As to the search display order, there is an option at the bottom of the Advanced Search to select the order - just make sure you have descending order by date selected.
    Thanks for this TallPaul. It's a great help for the community.

Anyway, if you change it to VB4 Default Style, it eliminates the boxes displaying people's Hammock/Tarp/Insulation. That, along with getting rid of avatars & signatures will give you the most text with least unnecessary space.
    This is part of the reason we don't have a whole bunch of themes. Each theme we add requires initial modification, and must be updated each time we make certain layout changes. This all takes time. We're working on a high contrast theme for sight impaired. I might try to add some larger buttons depending on feedback and time. MAY. If anyone is willing to donate time customizing themes it would speed up the process and free us up to work on other tasks. I will float this idea with the rest of the moderation team. I'm not making promises.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    They are talking about the space required by the avatars and equipment listings with the sig line starting below that.

POST SPACE.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    They are talking about the space required by the avatars and equipment listings with the sig line starting below that.

POST SPACE.jpg
    I don't think this is a trivial change, at least for me to make. If it really bugs you try turning off signatures in your preferences and let us know how that works.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    DivaB - All my tips have been updated - go to the first post in thread (BTW - this is a sticky under Forum\General Hammock Talk).

The Advanced Search still has an option to search by a persons name, and display them as posts. It just requires an extra click. Whatever you search on should be highlighted.

As to the search display order, there is an option at the bottom of the Advanced Search to select the order - just make sure you have descending order by date selected.

Deep breaths

Thanks TallPaul, I'll head over to the link and look at now. Deep Breaths aren't helping right now. Give me another couple of weeks to adjust...........or more. I tend to adjust to changes while kicking and biting the entire way

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    I don't think this is a trivial change, at least for me to make. If it really bugs you try turning off signatures in your preferences and let us know how that works.
    Unfortunately, I didn't bother saving screen shots of the 'good old' forum pages, but you probably have some of those in your computer files for comparison...(???)

My recollection is that the 'user data' sidebar was much more compact in the older version, without the blank lines before and after each item...perhaps a font/spacing/format change would help?

The sigs aren't generating the blank space; it's the inability of the software to put the sig beside the user data sidebar that causes the blanks....but you can see that.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    We understand change isn't always easy but it's necessary to keep the site secure and maintainable. We are using the same platform (VBulletin). The changes you see are the differences between version 3.8.7 and 4.2.2. It's a big jump, that's how out of date our forum software really was. I don't like every new feature or change in 4.2.2 but there were quite a few things about 3.8.7 that were really bad. The only difference is we were just used to dealing with those "features".
    I understand, I really do, just gotta let a me be me for a while, sorry, this is part of my adjustment process . In the future can you guys update along with the updates, so that it's not such a huge change? Thanks octothorpesarus. It does not mean I'm not going to gripe a few more times. ......just saying.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Just for fun, here's a comparison of the standard view (LEFT) vs. VB4 Default (MIDDLE)(which has no equip info by default) vs. VB4 Default with no signatures (RIGHT).

It doesn't compare the new site to the old, but you can definitely see the difference adding the equipment info makes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

POST SPACE.jpg
    I changed the width of the block to the right of the post in the Hammock Camping style. Please let me know if that helped those that were being annoyed. If that help I will leave it to the new width. If not then I will revert it back.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast